Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

Build me a Talonbane Cobra!

You have these 2 cards, Fill in the blanks.

swx32_talonbane_cobra_card.pngswx73-vaksai.png

So for my Bird of Prey Build

• PTL (2 points)
  • EU (3 points)
  • Vectored Thrusters (1 point)
  • Autothrusters (1 point)
  • Claoking Device (1 point)

Total 36 points.

What are your builds (bonus points for an entire list, style points for a cloak with Jabba in it)?

Talonbane Cobra: 28
Intensity: 1 (or mindlink for 0)
Scavenger Crane: 1
Vaksai: 0
Engine: 3
Autothrusters: 1
Stealth Device: 2

3 agility and autothrusters, still get a focus or evade when you boost.  Crane can get you the stealth device back when you kill something

Edited by VanderLegion

3 hours ago, Marinealver said:

You have these 2 cards, Fill in the blanks.

swx32_talonbane_cobra_card.pngswx73-vaksai.png

Can't Touch Talonbane, He'll Punch You in the Face (33):

Stealth Device (+2)

Scavenger Crane (+1)

Pulsed Ray Shield (+1)

Vectored Thrusters (+1)

Thread Tracers (0)

Fearlessness (0)

With Bodyguard Guri as wingman of course ...

7 hours ago, defkhan1 said:

I prefer the el cheapo Mindlink variant:

TBC (28)

• Mindlink (0)
  • Thread Tracers (0)
  • Inertial Dampeners (0)
  • Engine Upgrade (3)
  • Autothrusters (1)
  • Vectored Thrusters (1)
  • Vaksai (0)

Comes in at a cool 33 pts.

Mine was going to be the same, but without the Vectored Thrusters (because I tend to find Boost is quite enough, and I'm really buying it to get my hands on Autothrusters anyway):

TBC (28)

• Mindlink (0)
  • Thread Tracers (0)
  • Inertial Dampeners (0)
  • Munitions Failsafe (0) - because why not shoot the Tracers until they hit? :)
  • Engine Upgrade (3)
  • Autothrusters (1)
  • Vaksai (0)

Guri (30)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Autothrusters (2)
StarViper Mk. II (-3)
Virago (1)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Autothrusters (2)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)
Vaksai (0)

Fenn Rau (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I think TB can run PRS well for the one straight. He also gets every free upgrade possible in addition to the obviously good 4 points of EU/AT. Mindlink is the obvious choice for strong scum at the moment, so that is the Elite of choice, and it does fit well for stacking mods on the brutal range one attacks, as well as relieving him of having to make the choice between boosting or having mods.

Then because just having a ship with Mindlink doesn't say much, I'll also have to illustrate the rest of the list I see. Guri becomes a beast of efficiency with free title + FCS and has synergy with Mindlink. Her banana-roll also covers for the lack of green turns a bit.

Finally some green turns are also required to make Mindlink a lot easier to fly. This could also be a torp-boat if more hitpoints are desired, but I thought Fenn was too good not to include. Truth be told, for the ultimately competetive version of this list, Talonbane would probably get the boot in favour of a Jumpmaster. But I think this also looks rather powerful.

Edit: Looking at some of the Cloaking suggestions here I'd also consider replacing PRS with SPA and Interial Dampeners with Cloaking Device for 99 points total.

Edited by Admiral Deathrain

Talonbane Cobra 38

Attanni Mindlink, Scavenger Crane, PRS, AT, EU, Homing Missiles, and Vasaki

Fenn Rau 35

Attanni Mindlink, AT, Title, and Plasma Torpedoes

Inaldra 27

Attanni Mindlink, PRS, HLC, Heavy Scyk Title

I'll be throwing out 12 heavily modified red die at range 2-3 ignoring range bonuses and sitting behind a stack of green die and AT. When the distance is closed Fenn and Talon will be dealing out 5 focused up red die a piece while Inaldra abuses PRS to stay back and snipe with focus and rerolls on the HLC from her ability.

Fairly fragile list but the opening alpha strike followed by the over whelming firepower of Talon and Fenn up close should burn down most opposition fairly quickly if don't get popped first. Lol

Edited by BomberGob

40 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Total: 98

I made almost the same build, but with Stealth Device and Scavenger Crane instead of Inertial Dampeners and PRS, for 100pt total.

I simply can't resist a 5agility Talonbane that shoots a range 3 Tracers, then swoops into range 1 with boost, TL and focus from mindlink (or from intensity if you get the point somewhere)!

Edit: the link

Edited by GreenDragoon
included link to YASB

Talonbane Phantom:

Lonewolf, Vaksai, Cloaking Device, Shield Upgrade, Hull Upgrade, Stygium Particle Accelerator 

A whisper-esque build, if whisper had +3 hull. This makes Talonbane seriously beefy with 5 hull and 2 shields for only 36 points. I am glad the Advanced Cloaking Device is TIE Phantom only, this would be the silliest ship ever if it wasn't. You could switch out Cloaking Device and Stygium for scavenger crane and Stealth device for one more point, too.

All the new fun

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Predator (3)
Glitterstim (2)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)
Autothrusters (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Vaksai (0)

Guri (30)
Lone Wolf (2)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Glitterstim (2)
Autothrusters (2)
StarViper Mk. II (-3)
Virago (1)

Genesis Red (19)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Ion Cannon (3)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

My Talonbane build, which I've used in store tournements before was

Talonbane Cobra — Kihraxz Fighter 28
Push the Limit 3
Cloaking Device 2
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 37

With the title, that's now 3 points cheaper, 34 instead of 37, but in truth I've never had great success with it. Now, on the Ynot Benchmark site I have been getting interesting results with this build:

Adrenaline Rush 1
Cloaking Device 2
Pulsed Ray Shield 2

Ship Total: 33

So this now clocks in at 30pts with the title. The basic plan of attack for both of these builds is to cloak on turn 1, decloak forward + 5K in turn 2 and offload a 5 attack dice primary attack up the **** of someone in front of them. The second build works better with AR and Pulse Shields since you can do that, still focus, and can then forward 1 in a situation where your opponent is sandwhiched between your ships and can't necerssarily make use of that.

But with a mind to take full advantage of the title, I propose this:

Adrenaline Rush 1
Cloaking Device 2
Pulsed Ray Shield 2
Stygium Particle Accelerator 2
Hull Upgrade 3
Vaksai 0
Ship Total: 33

33pts for a shield regenerating, 6hp ship that hits at 5 dice up close, is PS9, cloaks, and we've finally found a use for The Styg. Hallejuhah.

For the same points you could get Engine Upgrade and Autothrusters though, which would be better.

My real issue with Cloak is the unreliability.  I've used it a few times and my experience is that it falls off when you least want it to and messes up your plans.  Which is a shame :(

5 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

For the same points you could get Engine Upgrade and Autothrusters though, which would be better.

My real issue with Cloak is the unreliability.  I've used it a few times and my experience is that it falls off when you least want it to and messes up your plans.  Which is a shame :(

Gets a lot better when it only is one point, though. Or two points with SPA, turning it into a two point discard that allows you to close range really fast while giving you an Evade and then still has a good chance of being reusable, potentialy for defense. Cloaking Device + SPA is a potent combo, but 4 points of eventual discard don't cut it - 2 points, though? Sounds like great utility, especially with TBC who wants to delete ships at range one as fast as possible.

10 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

which is why you pair it with the spa so you get the evade. add crane to get it back for 1 point extra

51 minutes ago, BomberGob said:

Talonbane Cobra 38

Attanni Mindlink, Scavenger Crane, PRS, AT, EU, Homing Missiles, and Vasaki

Fenn Rau 35

Attanni Mindlink, AT, Title, and Plasma Torpedoes

Inaldra 27

Attanni Mindlink, PRS, HLC, Heavy Scyk Title

I'll be throwing out 12 heavily modified red die at range 2-3 ignoring range bonuses and sitting behind a stack of green die and AT. When the distance is closed Fenn and Talon will be dealing out 5 focused up red die a piece while Inaldra abuses PRS to stay back and snipe with focus and rerolls on the HLC from her ability.

Fairly fragile list but the opening alpha strike followed by the over whelming firepower of Talon and Fenn up close should burn down most opposition fairly quickly if don't get popped first. Lol

Love that list, totally overlooked myself that Inaldra option.