Sign in to follow this  
Nitratas

Terrible Dice quality and longevity

After a few game nights i noticed that my Kylo dice started to take heavy damage. It appears that the "protective" layer / lacquer has wore down and the  printed picture became vulnerable. I can literally rub it off with my fingernail. 

Makes me worry about the quality of the dice and the longevity of them - looks like a pretty *** investment if the quality cant last a few months of playing. And i dont think caressing them like little babies is a solution

20170530_220230.jpg

I have noticed mine getting scratches on the coating, no damage to the picture. It could be an issue, makes me want to save all my extra die just in case. 

Holy cow!

None of my dice look like this... they just have some minor scuffs. How much of that damage is from wear and how much is from your fingernail test? 

How are you storing them? You might want to pack them tightly into a large deck box alongside your cards so they can't scuff so easily.

Storing in a big bag (no movement in there so zero wear/tear). Carrying them in a cloth dicebag. Playing on neoprene (mousepad) game mats everytime. 
Only one of the scratches (the topmost one) is from my fingernail testing.

Edit: Yes, at the beginning only small bruises were visible - i guess those were just on the lacquer. But when it wears down and the picture gets too close to the surface its a bye bye

Edit:Edit: In the picture it can be seen - i tried to apply some acrylic gloss varnish and at least provide some protection for the printed picture but it was no use

Edited by Nitratas

Just now, Nitratas said:

Storing in a big bag (no movement in there so zero wear/tear). Carrying them in a cloth dicebag. Playing on neoprene (mousepad) game mats everytime. 
Only one of the scratches (the topmost one) is from my fingernail testing.

You might want to consider not storing them in a bag... the wear on that dice looks like typical scratches from things bumping each other in a bag. Interestingly, even metal coins are no longer considered "mint" or "near mint" condition once they've been stored in a bag, due to this sort of thing. 

That being said, you are still right that the game pieces are relatively low-quality. Honestly, $3 for a pack seems a little bit of a rip-off, given the dice and cards all fall under the category "cheap plastic stuff made in China."

1 minute ago, Kieransi said:

You might want to consider not storing them in a bag... the wear on that dice looks like typical scratches from things bumping each other in a bag. Interestingly, even metal coins are no longer considered "mint" or "near mint" condition once they've been stored in a bag, due to this sort of thing. 

That being said, you are still right that the game pieces are relatively low-quality. Honestly, $3 for a pack seems a little bit of a rip-off, given the dice and cards all fall under the category "cheap plastic stuff made in China."

Yes but its dice we're talking about. They are supposed to be bumping into each other while rolling, arent they. The only movement they get in the storage bags is when i re-do my decks once in 1-2 weeks. That is nothing compared to the bumping they get when playing

On 5/30/2017 at 1:42 PM, Nitratas said:

Yes but its dice we're talking about. They are supposed to be bumping into each other while rolling, arent they. The only movement they get in the storage bags is when i re-do my decks once in 1-2 weeks. That is nothing compared to the bumping they get when playing

Yep, it's annoying for sure. All my cards are in sleeves, but sadly, you can't sleeve a dice. I'm guessing you play more frequently than I do, and at some point, I'll start to see the same thing. I'll go check my Kylo dice, as those are my oldest dice as well.

edit: Just checked. Yup, my Kylo dice is scuffed too. Here's the worst side on it. Not a huge problem now, but this is gonna be annoying in several years when it's completely blank...

Edited by Kieransi
Removed photo... *sigh*... please give us more space Asmodee! 500KB? Seriously?

They say either ... 

1) Wear and Tear not their issue

2) They will send you a pack for replacement

My dice look fine as well...because I store them in a 100dollars worth of battlefoam and roll them on mats. But even then my older dice like Kylo are showing wear. I am the biggest FFG Fanboy in the world but there is definitely a very real quality control and/or just defective coating issue with these dice. They are gorgeous but they fade FAST. My friend keeps his in a plano and they rattle around and my god they look like they are 4 years old with how scuffed up they are.

First what i found:

1. Paint is not resistant at all. I once did a proxy dice with pernament market. Then i tried to use nail polish removal to clean the marker off....whole dice painting went off completly clean. 

2. Wear and Tear from simple storing them together is bearable but carrying them around together is asking to have them destroyed over time. 

3. Op damage is clearly more then simple wear as NONE of my dice has i plastic scrached. Paint - yes, but plastic never it clearly shows it endured some major hit/scrach. No wonder it all went away.

4. Im thinking about securing the dice with some varnish and it is the only reasonable thing we can do to secure them.

Thanks for the pictures, you are not the first to complain about this.  It was noticed that with the starter sets the plastic container was scratching some of the dice when they were pulled out.  That may have damaged the protective coating and accelerated the deterioration.

One of my BB-8s had a small chunk missing out of it, not sure if it was a bubble in the mold or just chipped somewhere in the process. not a huge deal, as i think i have 10 of him, but if it was almost any other die, then that will be an issue. FFG I think should allow players to add a protective layer to them, like sleeveing cards, we can add a layer of clear paint to it. 

Hi everyone!

Dice are, to my tastes, very good and durable. My old BB8, i gave it to my 3 year old son (Sorry, actual picture too heavy to upload). there is some scratches, but considering he threw the dice at least 1000 times, walked on it, jumped on it and our vacuum cleaner swallowed 2 time, it is perfectly normal.

Tournament or regular play wise, it is sad to have some scratches on dice, but it doesnt affect your ability to use them (As opposed to have damaged card in a deck, wich you could identify).

In my experience, the only ccg dice product that were stronger were TSR, Dragon dice (Now SFR has Dragon dice). Their "Picture" (Actually not picture) were carved in the dice, and the dice were heavier.

However, probably FFG could have some paint to be deffective. I just hope they would be willing to make some kind of exchange program (Cannot abuse if we have to send original dice to get a replacement).

thanks for reading

I have a Darth Vader die that will spin like a top. When I contacted FFG they said that they wouldn't do anything about it without a receipt. You know because so many companies are making this product. What BS.

18 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

I have a Darth Vader die that will spin like a top. When I contacted FFG they said that they wouldn't do anything about it without a receipt. You know because so many companies are making this product. What BS.

Go buy a pack of Awakenings when it reprints and keep the receipt. Problem solved.

45 minutes ago, loki_tbc said:

So much attention seeking and whining. I play constantly and have no issues like the OP... not even close. Maybe don't take keys to your dice... I don't know... 

you are being obtuse. there are obviously problems and pretending like there arent does nobody any good.

I am not saying that there isn't dice wear. It happens. Take precautions. Roll them on mats, store them in foam,  etc.... but the whining and collective nonsense is pathetic.  It's like everyone waits for someone to post some ridiculous stuff then jumps on the hyperbole bandwagon... 

11 minutes ago, loki_tbc said:

I am not saying that there isn't dice wear. It happens. Take precautions. Roll them on mats, store them in foam,  etc.... but the whining and collective nonsense is pathetic.  It's like everyone waits for someone to post some ridiculous stuff then jumps on the hyperbole bandwagon... 

I'm not saying that the dice are an absolute lemon. If they were a car, they've already made it past 30k miles, but they already need their clutch replaced. It's not like they're already destroyed, it's just that if we expect to be playing this game 20+ years from now like MTG or almost as long, like a number of other CCGs, we want the dice to be there there with us! My worst dice are only missing 5% of their paint to scuffs and scratches, but by that math all the paint will be gone in 20 years! Not that I won't be ecstatic if this game lasts that long!

I get what you are saying but it's unreasonable. These aren't going to. hold up any better than unsleeved cards would. You wanna see my 4th edition deck from back in the day? It looks like hell. 20 years of use will do that.  I think you'll get a few years put of these but if you are expecting these to hold up you are fooling yourself.  That's why the secondary market acting like this is a real CCG ( aka MTG) is just stupid.