Sign in to follow this  
kingbobb

How much Pew Pew to put into a Mill deck?

This started out as the 4th, cast-off deck I was building for my daughter (after building decks for my son, wife, and myself).  Technically it's the 5th deck, as I have 1-2 decks for me most of the time.  So with 2 blue hero decks and me taking most of the villain cards for my decks, mostly what I had left was yellow and red hero.  

I've settled into a ePadme/Maz/Rebel Trooper mill deck.  It focuses on Mill cards, and in fact the only damage card of any kind is the Falcon, which C-3PO will turn to discard most of the time.  Using healing and dice removal, it has lasted pretty well against our attacking decks, and either wins or is one round away from winning, so at least against our House Meta, it fairs well.

So my question is whether I should put more blasters back into the deck.  It's harder to last facing increasing attacks without seeing any decrease in dice due to attrition, and C-3PO can help mitigate at least the black side of blasting dice when I don't need to deal damage.  

Put in Ascension Gun and take Command Center as your battlefield, then choose your opponent's battlefield if you win the roll off (they're almost guaranteed to not pick yours). If you've got enough high value dice in the deck then maybe consider Planned Explosion as a way to mitigate one of their characters. 

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

A good mill deck has to still kill one enemy character to win on a regular basis. You don't need much. 2 holdout blasters and 2 vibro knives should do fine. Take a battlefield that doesn't do much so it can't  be used against you. With mixed damage and  milling or toget what you need will take time. You won't be claiming often. I have seen people take cryofreeze chamber thinking it was going to help stop an opponent from doing so much damage but it ends up slowing their Mill when it gets used against them. 

16 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

A good mill deck has to still kill one enemy character to win on a regular basis. You don't need much. 2 holdout blasters and 2 vibro knives should do fine. Take a battlefield that doesn't do much so it can't  be used against you. With mixed damage and  milling or toget what you need will take time. You won't be claiming often. I have seen people take cryofreeze chamber thinking it was going to help stop an opponent from doing so much damage but it ends up slowing their Mill when it gets used against them. 

I'm limited in my weapons because of all the other decks I'm running.  I may have a Holdout Blaster, but mostly what I have to work with is higher cost...Bowcaster and DL chief among them.  Which may play into a mid game burst of damage, sort of the idea?  

Since the deck is three characters and likely doesn't action cheat, I assume it plays slow. If it doesn't claim often, then consider some Support cards. Launch Bay and Black 1 if you have them. Ups the resource cost of the deck, so maybe add in Smuggling or Long Con of not already. Both work well with 3-PO and can hit hard if on the board.

28 minutes ago, gokubb said:

Since the deck is three characters and likely doesn't action cheat, I assume it plays slow. If it doesn't claim often, then consider some Support cards. Launch Bay and Black 1 if you have them. Ups the resource cost of the deck, so maybe add in Smuggling or Long Con of not already. Both work well with 3-PO and can hit hard if on the board.

No Black 1, but Launch Bay has been looking for a home.  Thinking a Quad Jumper might help ram into that and the Falcon as well.

I think Mill decks should always choose a battle field that let's you and your opponent draw cards. It is a win-win situation for you. If you win the roll use it. If you lose use Ascension Gun to use it.

It's a matter of what you want the deck to do. If it's a very heavy control deck (or possibly abuses Second Chance), then it can probably get away without damage. Otherwise yes, it probably needs to do at least enough damage to knock out a character to mitigate the damage it takes. Of course, this may vary depending on your 'house meta'.

Looking for options that potentially help you mill while still having an aggressive option is probably not a bad idea, compared to throwing in random guns.

On 5/30/2017 at 0:42 PM, WonderWAAAGH said:

Put in Ascension Gun and take Command Center as your battlefield, then choose your opponent's battlefield if you win the roll off (they're almost guaranteed to not pick yours). If you've got enough high value dice in the deck then maybe consider Planned Explosion as a way to mitigate one of their characters. 

If youve got Padme, i would actually go with WarTorn Streets. Controls their hand at the moment, and once youve milled out their deck, you have a closer. 

Also turns the Ascenion Gun into two discard sides. I use it with my Jango Jabba deck.  

Edited by MegaSilver

I'm playing a ePlutt/eJabba deck hoping to win by mill or Crime Lord. I did just find out that in tournaments if the game goes to time, whoever has done the most damage wins. I own 2x Vibroknife, 2x Vibroknuckler, 1x Slave 1. Do you think that may be enough damage to maybe have a fighting chance to win games that end due to time?

22 minutes ago, Zogwort said:

I'm playing a ePlutt/eJabba deck hoping to win by mill or Crime Lord. I did just find out that in tournaments if the game goes to time, whoever has done the most damage wins. I own 2x Vibroknife, 2x Vibroknuckler, 1x Slave 1. Do you think that may be enough damage to maybe have a fighting chance to win games that end due to time?

Not really, no. I'm legitimately unimpressed with Slave I; expensive supports are still largely unplayable in the current meta. 

You counted the characters you killed with Crime Lord, right?

1 minute ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

Not really, no. I'm legitimately unimpressed with Slave I; expensive supports are still largely unplayable in the current meta. 

You counted the characters you killed with Crime Lord, right?

Yes I'm told that a Crime Lorded character counts as being dead due to damage, so a Crime Lorded character with 10 health means 10 damage in my favor.