Androniq

Vaksai - upgrade order

The new Title Vaksai for Kihraxz fighters leads to an important question. When do we satisfy the requirements of an upgrade card - when we equip this exact card or when we have the final build of the ship? E. g.:

1) can I equip Engine Upgrade and then Autothrusters, since I already have Boost icon in my action bar? (I guess yes, since similar situations were already presented.)

2) the trickier one: can I equip Pulsed Ray Shield and Shield Upgrade? If it is possible to order the upgrade cards in any order I wish to equip them, it goes like this: Shields = 1 -> equip PRS -> equip Shield Upgrade -> Shields 2, but nobody cares (as with Boba Fett stealing a required card, but not crashing the other upgrades which required it when equipping). Or do I have to meet all the requirements stated on cards at the end of the build? (And then opposite situation is possible, where for example one card says "Your Action bar gains boost. You cannot equip this if you haven't Barrel Roll" and the other "Gain Barrel Roll, require Boost" but we still can equip them 'simultaneously'.)

So, is the process of equipping upgrades 'simultaneous' or 'sequential'?

5 minutes ago, Willy Jarque said:

I think requirements must be satisfied when the ship is deployed, and all cards enter play simultaneously.

And yet we have stuff like royal guard TIE and VI snap with black one that set a precedence that upgrades have their effects the entire time they're equipped to the ship, even before it enters play

3 minutes ago, nigeltastic said:

This seems like the right answer so I doubt you can add shield upgrade and pulsed ray shields in any way.

I think you are correct.  The case has been made with Flechette Torpedoes in that the defender's starting hull value including Hull Upgrade is used to determine whether a ship gets stress.  So starting Shield value with Shield upgrade is 2 and not 1.

3 minutes ago, DeathstarII said:

And yet we have stuff like royal guard TIE and VI snap with black one that set a precedence that upgrades have their effects the entire time they're equipped to the ship, even before it enters play

That's what i'm saying. When it enters play, as all cards are simultaneously active, so requirements to Black One are fulfilled since Snap is an 8

43 minutes ago, Willy Jarque said:

That's what i'm saying. When it enters play, as all cards are simultaneously active, so requirements to Black One are fulfilled since Snap is an 8

Don't we have a ruling somewhere that you can't count Adaptability towards PS requirements to equip things?

If that's the case, you could still be right about the simultaneous legality checking, it's just that it happens before the ship and its upgrades enter play.

There is no order, the build must be valide when finished, this have nothing to do with deployment. Veteran Instinct modify the starting ship value directly, like if the number was changed on the card. If everything is legal when you are done building your list, everything is legal.

Adaptability happen at deployement, not during building because it is variable, and you decide the side after deploying.

4 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

Don't we have a ruling somewhere that you can't count Adaptability towards PS requirements to equip things?

If that's the case, you could still be right about the simultaneous legality checking, it's just that it happens before the ship and its upgrades enter play.

Yes, but that's because Adaptability's change is only decided at setup, so until then it's not taking effect.

In general lists must be continually valid.  So, for instance, you can't equip R2-D6, equip an EPT, then unequip D6 and change to something else during list building.  Similarly, you can equip EU then ATs, because ATs just cares that the ship it's equipped on has boost, but you can't equipe PRS then shield, because PRS cares if the ship it's on currently has exactly 1 shield.

If you could equip PRS on a ship with 0 shields along with a shield upgrade, that would be legit.

As a funny side effect to this all, there's a possibility to design an upgrade card, like, "Maintenance Room", type: Bomb, wording: "Your Upgrade bar gains the Crew icon", and then you'll be able to equip Cad+this or Sabine+this to literally any ship in your faction, because in the end all requirements are met: the crew member provides the bomb slot, and the bomb upgrade provides the crew slot. (I hope they have a hierarchical chart for all upgrade types in the FFG office, so that a lower-level upgrade type cannot provide upper-level upgrade slot, to avoid such cycles.)