bahourmat

New "Guns for Hire" Pack Announced

My favorite Scum ships have been the Viper, Khiraxz, and Scyk with the Protectorate being a recent addition.

I rarely use the first three anymore because I want to be competitive, so that meant running two Scum large ships, triple scout, double scout +1, etc.  I am excited that all three of these ships are getting some love this year.  I hope it is enough that I will feel good about taking them to a tournament.

Scum was due for an Ace style pack and an Epic ship.  Two of each for Rebels and Imperials not to mention extra ships due to the new movies.  Scum have been lacking in pilot options on small ships for a while.  The Protectorate was a nice change of pace; two out of three named pilots are tournament worthy.  That can't really be said about very many pilots from other Scum small ships.  Palob and Torkil maybe.

I'm hopeful that there is an up coming FAQ that finally puts the JM5Ks in their place, I'm tired of them being the best option when list building.

1 hour ago, Viktus106 said:

Just out of curiosity, you keep using "our" so am I right in assuming that you either only collect or solely use Scum?

Anyways, back to your post!

I agree, what is effective does change with new releases and Scum are pretty hot right now, mainly due to the Jumpmaster but I doubt that will ever see a points increase so that is going to be a staple of the Scum fleet for while and why not? Its a great ship!

As for the Phantom, if you played against a pre-nerf phantom now I think there are enough options to deal with it. Mainly scummy options mind you and Rebel Sabine/bombs of course, those work on a lot of things, 12 point bid or not.

Me saying that I find it easier to build more effective lists with scum is just my observation. Of course FFG are not actually biased towards Scum but you have to admit, their options are pretty good when compared to the other factions. As I listed before, they have very good crew options, the best in my opinion, especially when compared to Rebels. I personally strongly favor Scum lists when deciding on what to fly because I know that I can build a two or three ship list that has tools to handle everything and quite simply as well, I can't do that with Imperial or Rebel lists.

I welcome the new Scum Ace pack, i'll be flying my Starviper more and more and i'll happily Harpoon things into gleeful oblivion. Even more if it turns out to be a Scum only super assault missile. Ha Ha. 

Any time I pick up a game with different factions I try to con a buddy or two into playing the alternate factions so I can play everything without busting my wallet. Scum's is the faction I own however.

As for list building I value variety, while we have a good variety in upgrades our ships were severely lacking. I mean all this talk of the trend being towards good scum waves we've only had 1.5 so far, half of 8 and 9 was obviously amazing with both the Protectorate and Lancer. We still only have 3 competitive ships out of 14, and historically we've never had much more variety than that. Add to this problem that the Jumpmaster is likely to have a Biggs effect in that it negatively impacts what upgrades Scum receives because of how efficient it is and how it interacts. It may even be worse than Biggs because Biggs is at least easier to fix with an errata, not so much for the Jumpmaster.

I mean we've already had Zuckuss nerfed into oblivion because of Dengar even though it wasn't nearly as abusive on the party bus or any other ride.

Honestly from the game data people have posted Imperials don't seem nearly as bad as all these chicken littles want us to believe.

Edited by BomberGob

8 hours ago, Ralgon said:

Pretty sure the troll will be that ps5 kizaraxioyhlvmd with a ept for 24 points or less.

mindlink swarm ho!

There's no new kihraxz generics.  The PS5 is the existing black sun ace at 23 points.

7 hours ago, Viktus106 said:

Pure speculation of course but since Scum generally get the better upgrades / versions of cards it is safe to assume that the Havoc is going to be a good bomber. 

Based on that assumption, I would not be surprised if Cad Bane allowed you to re-roll blanks and focuses on Proximity and Cluster mines and the Bomblet Generator was an action to flip a discarded bomb back over.

I would gladly be wrong on this as I don't like the idea of the above but given that Scum get everything, I wouldn't put it past the design team. 

People seem to forget the OP stuff other factions have gotten in the past.  Like pre-nerf Whisper or pre-nerf Defenders.  It's not like scum is the only faction that gets good stuff.

6 hours ago, BomberGob said:

So we're just ignoring that out of 11 expansions Scum managed to get 3-4 competitive ships. Not to mention that for their initial release up till the Jumpmaster they had exactly one competitive build that never actually won(Brobots). Or how about the fact that our most recent release is basically a gimmick ship with questionable value(QuadJumper).

Really people, the salt is unwarranted.

The only competitive bomber right now is rebel simply because of Adv. Slam and Sabine. The first one allows you to get them where you need them and the second allows you to actually deal damage with them. Now I think it's fairly safe to say from what we can see that it won't be having the level of movement that the K-Wing gets with Adv. Slam, don't even have the slot for our 1 shot slam. So whatever those upgrades do they better be pretty **** potent to make bombs actually worth it in scum.

Brobots did manage to win a couple nationals, and made top 4 at the 2015 worlds.  They never won worlds, but neither did plenty of other stuff.  You don't have to win worlds to be a good list.  Brobots WERE good back in wave 6, the problem is that they were the ONLY competitive option scum had at the time.  As already pointed out, scum really didn't get another competitive ship until the jumpmaster (the YV666 wasn't terrible, but didn't get really great until the party bus in wave 8)

2 hours ago, Burius1981 said:

I rarely use the first three anymore because I want to be competitive, so that meant running two Scum large ships, triple scout, double scout +1, etc.  I am excited that all three of these ships are getting some love this year.  I hope it is enough that I will feel good about taking them to a tournament.

I mean, things are only not competetive if you don't fly them like it.  First regionals I went to, I flew Laetin and placed 21/110.  I won a Regional bye with Xizor, Tbane, and Palob.  I am so excited with these buffs to my three favorite ships: Scyk, Viper, and Kirax.

The Scyk is my all time favorite just because of my first game in a public setting.  I had just gotten into when Scum dropped and so I had the scyk.  Guy was like "that is the worst ship in the game, why are you flying it?"  I've made it a point to fly it whenever I can, most recently my go to support ship is a 25 point Serissu (Crackshot, Title, Tractor Beam).  I can't wait for the CROC and show up to a SC with a scyk swarm.

38 minutes ago, Atredes said:

I mean, things are only not competetive if you don't fly them like it.  First regionals I went to, I flew Laetin and placed 21/110.  I won a Regional bye with Xizor, Tbane, and Palob.  I am so excited with these buffs to my three favorite ships: Scyk, Viper, and Kirax.

The Scyk is my all time favorite just because of my first game in a public setting.  I had just gotten into when Scum dropped and so I had the scyk.  Guy was like "that is the worst ship in the game, why are you flying it?"  I've made it a point to fly it whenever I can, most recently my go to support ship is a 25 point Serissu (Crackshot, Title, Tractor Beam).  I can't wait for the CROC and show up to a SC with a scyk swarm.

I believe that, for the most part, you can do well with most ships so long as the list doesn't have wasted points and you have time to practice it.  Some lists are also more risky, like the old triple interceptors.  I am married and have a 3yo, I get in two, maybe three matches a week.  While I like to build off meta lists that seem like fun to fly, I tend to play what I know is good so I have a better shot when I go to a tournament.

That being said, I am sick of all the complaining about jumpmasters and I am tired of playing them.  I already had something in mind for Genesis Red, now I have a new list to proxy with Guri.

7 hours ago, BomberGob said:

So we're just ignoring that out of 11 expansions Scum managed to get 3-4 competitive ships.

Protectorate, brobots, shadowcaster, jumpmaster, yv666, HWK290, Ywing.... were far from 3-4... And thats not counting all the incredible scum only upgrades...

Edited by Thormind

1 hour ago, VanderLegion said:

Brobots did manage to win a couple nationals, and made top 4 at the 2015 worlds.  They never won worlds, but neither did plenty of other stuff.  You don't have to win worlds to be a good list.  Brobots WERE good back in wave 6, the problem is that they were the ONLY competitive option scum had at the time.  As already pointed out, scum really didn't get another competitive ship until the jumpmaster (the YV666 wasn't terrible, but didn't get really great until the party bus in wave 8)

Brobots made top 4 at 2015 worlds,but the whole top 16 only had 2 Scum lists (Brobots and a Quad TLT) and Scum was quite under-represented from the get go (a bit over 20%, compared to the 30-35% of Rebels and Imperials). 

Before Jumpmasters Scum were the worst competitive option of the bunch, without a doubt.

1 minute ago, LordBlades said:

Brobots made top 4 at 2015 worlds,but the whole top 16 only had 2 Scum lists (Brobots and a Quad TLT) and Scum was quite under-represented from the get go (a bit over 20%, compared to the 30-35% of Rebels and Imperials). 

Before Jumpmasters Scum were the worst competitive option of the bunch, without a doubt.

I'm not saying they weren't the worst competitive option.   Just pointing out that brobots did better than he was saying. The problem was that it was basiclaly ALL we had, and even with that list we were well behind the other factions.

So much scummy goodness, C-ROC around the corner, H-6 Scurrg later in the year and now this! I'm so happy lol :D

Also everyone should be happy about this because this means FFG isn't opposed to giving awesome upgrades to the ships that need them to bring them up to useable status. T-65 X-Wing, TIE punisher, E-Wing and anything else that's fallen to the wayside, there is now hope for actual "fixes" in the future. Thank you FFG!

Are we able to use Pulse Ray Shields that comes with the expansion pack with Shield Upgrade? PRS states that you are able to use them if your shield value is 1, but Shield Upgrade increase the value by 1, so I would say no we can't use them together.  

latest?cb=20170310172626latest?cb=20130428055324

1 minute ago, Zazaa said:

Are we able to use Pulse Ray Shields that comes with the expansion pack with Shield Upgrade? PRS states that you are able to use them if your shield value is 1, but Shield Upgrade increase the value by 1, so I would say no we can't use them together.  

latest?cb=20170310172626latest?cb=20130428055324

No, because with shield upgrade you no longer have a shied value of one.  Same reason a T70 pilot with Veteran Instincts can take the black one title (if VI puts them over PS6)

Edited by VanderLegion

2 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

No, because with shield upgrade you no longer have a shied value of one.  Same reason a T70 pilot with Veteran Instincts can take the black one title (if VI puts them over PS6)

Yes, it was what I thought. I was hoping some loophole there to be honest.. :ph34r:

59 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

I'm not saying they weren't the worst competitive option.   Just pointing out that brobots did better than he was saying. The problem was that it was basiclaly ALL we had, and even with that list we were well behind the other factions.

That was exactly my feeling back then.

I started x-wing just after wave 6 and Scum has been my main faction ever since. Just before wave 8 I had reached the point where I was just about to jump ship for this very reason: if I wanted to win I only had Brobots, and even Brobots were beginning to have an uphill battle vs many lists.

7 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

That was exactly my feeling back then.

I started x-wing just after wave 6 and Scum has been my main faction ever since. Just before wave 8 I had reached the point where I was just about to jump ship for this very reason: if I wanted to win I only had Brobots, and even Brobots were beginning to have an uphill battle vs many lists.

I played other stuff anyway (hardly played brobots at all) and had some minor success, but nothing big.  I managed to win a store champ with bossk/gunner/tactician slaver, 2 tlt y-wings and a z95, but it was only 12 people, so...

Only thing that I am disappointed of is that we are getting only two named pilots each ship, I was hoping at three each, would of been way better. That would of been better for the future, no need to "cry" for more too soon. 

But it's better than nothing for sure! :rolleyes:

Do you all remember the BBBBZ rebel list? .

Now the scum can fly a SSSSZ , with Vipers at 22 points, same attacks, 3 less hp but 3 agi and the 1bank B-roll which makes them maybe one of the best blockers in the game (?). 

Do you think that it will be viable? 

Edited by Cerve

31 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Do you all remember the BBBBZ rebel list? .

Now the scum can fly a SSSSZ , with Vipers at 22 points, same attacks, 3 less hp but 3 agi and the 1bank B-roll which makes them maybe one of the best blockers in the game (?). 

Do you think that it will be viable? 

or just KKKKK with tracers GC and MF for raw brute force. That's the one which will change the meta, massed fire on a sturdy frame will shred the big ships currently dominating.

Edited by Princezilla

7 hours ago, Princezilla said:

or just KKKKK with tracers GC and MF for raw brute force. That's the one which will change the meta, massed fire on a sturdy frame will shred the big ships currently dominating.

Yep that's the obvious one. But I will not so comfy with it. I played 5K a lot, and their major drawback is the lost of 1K at the initial engage (PS2).

Normally, 4K will not bring enough damage then. Now, you will lose 1K, another one will shoot tracers, for a total of just 3 K shooting with TL+Focus. Not so much dmg.

Nice on paper, but in game still suffer what the 5K suffer. If I have to, I will prefer KKKKZ, with Glitterstim to all the K and fill the rest with missiles. It will grants me more survavibility in the first engage. 

20 hours ago, VanderLegion said:

Frankly  that's BS. I only pointed out, factually correct I might add, that Brobots made a splash in the competitive scene for awhile but never managed to reach the top end status of other competitive list at the time. That left Scum with exactly one competitive option that didn't even reach the levels offered by the other two factions. I commented very little on it's placement so don't deflect that comment onto me, I gave them their due credit as a list that almost made it but fizzled before the onset of power creep. I was simply pointing out how absurd it is to claim Scum bias when we had several waves without a single worlds win. Clearly if the other options remained in an equal to better competitive status than it was just business as usual and the lot complaining are just whiners.

As for Thorminds comment. Once again Brobots had a period of successes that still didn't square up to the other top competitive builds of it's heyday and fell out of favor. By the time that Scum received the Jumpmaster the IG was well on it's way out of the meta. That leaves the Scum Hwk that was always a niche pick and never a staple  option, the scum Y-wing that was basically an efficient TLT carrier and little else and thus served no different a purpose than the Rebel equivalent, and the Houndstooth that was briefly good but got hit by the Zuckuss nerf. So yes, we have 3 competitive options. Just because something was competitive before don't mean it has remained so, or do you think rookie pilots are still good?

Edited by BomberGob

1 hour ago, BomberGob said:

Frankly  that's BS. I only pointed out, factually correct I might add, that Brobots made a splash in the competitive scene for awhile but never managed to reach the top end status of other competitive list at the time. That left Scum with exactly one competitive option that didn't even reach the levels offered by the other two factions. I commented very little on it's placement so don't deflect that comment onto me, I gave them their due credit as a list that almost made it but fizzled before the onset of power creep.

Winning nationals and top 4 at worlds isn't "top end status"?  What is?  It's not like every top end list (or even MOST of them) wins worlds.

I was simply pointing out how absurd it is to claim Scum bias when we had several waves without a single worlds win. Clearly if the other options remained in an equal to better competitive status than it was just business as usual and the lot complaining are just whiners.

This is just BS.  Winning worlds doesn't hav emuch to do with anything.  It's one tournament one time a year.  Empire hasn't won worlds since the very first year of the game, but that doesn't mean empire has been a terrible faction or unplayable that whole time.

Also, as far as "several waves without winning a single worlds", we only had 2 waves before worlds in 2015.  Wave 6 came out february 2015, wave 7 in  august.  So exactly 2 wins before the first worlds after scum released, which scum didn't win, but made top 4.  There's been 2 worlds SINCE that, and scum won both.

As for Thorminds comment. Once again Brobots had a period of successes that still didn't square up to the other top competitive builds of it's heyday and fell out of favor. By the time that Scum received the Jumpmaster the IG was well on it's way out of the meta. That leaves the Scum Hwk that was always a niche pick and never a staple  option, the scum Y-wing that was basically an efficient TLT carrier and little else and thus served no different a purpose than the Rebel equivalent, and the Houndstooth that was briefly good but got hit by the Zuckuss nerf. So yes, we have 3 competitive options. Just because something was competitive before don't mean it has remained so, or do you think rookie pilots are still good?

Again, brobots squared up just fine against other competitive builds of it's day.  It was just hte only scum list that could.

And again, I'm not at all arguing that scum wasn't behind overall competitively before wave 8.  But trying to say brobots weren't an actual high-level, good competitive list is just nonsense.

Edited by VanderLegion

1 hour ago, VanderLegion said:

Winning nationals and top 4 at worlds isn't "top end status"?  What is?  It's not like every top end list (or even MOST of them) wins worlds.

This is just BS.  Winning worlds doesn't hav emuch to do with anything.  It's one tournament one time a year.  Empire hasn't won worlds since the very first year of the game, but that doesn't mean empire has been a terrible faction or unplayable that whole time.

Also, as far as "several waves without winning a single worlds", we only had 2 waves before worlds in 2015.  Wave 6 came out february 2015, wave 7 in  august.  So exactly 2 wins before the first worlds after scum released, which scum didn't win, but made top 4.  There's been 2 worlds SINCE that, and scum won both.

Again, brobots squared up just fine against other competitive builds of it's day.  It was just hte only scum list that could.

And again, I'm not at all arguing that scum wasn't behind overall competitively before wave 8.  But trying to say brobots weren't an actual high-level, good competitive list is just nonsense.

And once again, never said they wern't competitive did I? They were competitive but not as dominate in numbers as Rebels and Imperials. Thus the whole counter argument against the *Scum get everything* folks. I only mentioned the worlds because that seems to dictate what public opinion is on specific ships and upgrades and I wanted to point out that despite recent success that it's hardly and unbreaking pattern that's turning the game into *Scumwing* that some seem to think it is.

16 minutes ago, BomberGob said:

And once again, never said they wern't competitive did I? They were competitive but not as dominate in numbers as Rebels and Imperials. Thus the whole counter argument against the *Scum get everything* folks. I only mentioned the worlds because that seems to dictate what public opinion is on specific ships and upgrades and I wanted to point out that despite recent success that it's hardly and unbreaking pattern that's turning the game into *Scumwing* that some seem to think it is.

And again, for a time every winning list was brobots.

i remember the forum/Facebook salt.

On 5/30/2017 at 10:25 AM, FTS Gecko said:

..oh well, I might as well take the Chimps as well then!

Don't forget there's seven unannounced SKUs between Wave 11 and this released. I'm sure you'll get plenty of Imperial and Rebel love as well.

Or at least some pretty new coloured bases ti put your ships on.

This sound exciting, where did you get this info from? Thanks