bahourmat

New "Guns for Hire" Pack Announced

I hope all you guys who felt that these Scum "buffs" are too much and Scum won't need them, I recommend to think that there was so many issues with other ships with Scum that we actually needed those upcoming buffs big time, it might even work as counter against exciting meta. Kihraxz, Scyk and Viper used to be honestly unplayable and now they are getting new chance to shine!

And we can be 100% sure that there will be Rebel and Imperial buffs in near future, before we are going to have world's 2018! 

Edited by Zazaa

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

What's exciting about a 22 point Crackshot Saber Squad? It's a Interceptor that isn't very good at doing Interceptor things.

The Vaksai lets you toss in a bunch of upgrades that are situationally useful for no real cost on a low price ship that hits hard enough that it needs to be dealt with. The 23 point Vaksai is going to be able to use tracers to get target locks for his whole crew at that initial range 3 engagement. He's got Black Market Slicer tools to threaten high PS self-stressing aces.   

I think that's the point Pretty Green was trying to make sarcastically. The Kihraxz for only one more point with all of those upgrades.

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Hmm, the Vaksai title might help my much-loved FIVE.  CARTEL.  MARAUDERS.  Free Inertial Dampners or Black Market Slicer Tools?  Don't mind if I do.

AND free Thread Tracers with Guidance Chips! That squad is going to be incredible!

I know people keep talking about Scum not needing help, but I for one, hate flying big ships unless I am doing a scenario or 150+ points battle.  For me, I can now put out 3-4 ships that may actually have a chance of killing as many points as they are worth before they die themselves.  I think for that reason, this pack will create much more diversity in list building.

31 minutes ago, xstormtrooperx said:

And every Interceptor player fells hardkicked into his balls when looking at such a title. Burn worhtless piece of paper named Royal Guard Tie.

Errrr.....except Tie Interceptors have been great ships to use for many years now.  The Kihraxz Fighter hasn't been.  If you look at the two ships without titles, you won't have a hard time seeing which one is superior.  To say that the Royal Guard title is "worthless" is....an overstatement.  

1 minute ago, Darth Onyx said:

I think that's the point Pretty Green was trying to make sarcastically. The Kihraxz for only one more point with all of those upgrades.

I don't think Saber Squadrons, who have been good exactly never in the history of X-Wing, should be taken as a measurement of strength for any ship. (more replying to green than to you here, I believe) The Interceptors below PS8 just don't cut it, because PS is essential for this kind of ship. There isn't really a fix for this that doesn't drasticaly alter the kind of ship it is.

6 minutes ago, xstormtrooperx said:

Check you math vs. my example. Please. 10 Points Discount in the list.

It´ is like every Cartell Marauder costs only 18 points now (yes I know its a difference).

Ah, yes, I did miss your "2 points per ship, times 5 ships" for 10 points.  But frankly saving 10 points across 5 ships for two cards that already never see play at 1 point is not even remotely a big deal, let alone anything approaching "broken".  And it's hardly equivalent to costing 18 points, but you mentioned that.

8 minutes ago, WAC47 said:

AND free Thread Tracers with Guidance Chips! That squad is going to be incredible!

Don't forget munitions failsafe. 

(115)

Cartel Marauder (23) - Kihraxz
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1), Black Market Slicer Tools (1), Vaksai (0), Guidance Chips (0), Munitions Failsafe (1)

XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1), Black Market Slicer Tools (1), Vaksai (0), Guidance Chips (0), Munitions Failsafe (1)

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Jesus Christ...those titles.  "This ship is now much cheaper."  "This ship now gets a ridiculous amount of mods and gets a discount on all upgrades?"  

That is 100% pure power creep.  Or at least, response to power creep.  

Finally some voice of reason here. 

Hey look at the bright side. To "even thing out", FFG will need to release more ace boxes with a fix (or second "fix" - in form of a cumulative title) to all ships in the game. Surely they don't want people playing competitively with just some 4-5 Scum ships, right?

And now I want FFG to really take the time with the Gunboat. By my predictions, in about 2 years it will release with these stats:  Att 4, Def 3, Hull 6, Shield 4, 4 actions (including Reinforce), 6 upgrades, lots of green maneuvers, a kickass title and basic cost of 17 squad points!

1 minute ago, Odanan said:

Finally some voice of reason here. 

Hey look at the bright side. To "even thing out", FFG will need to release more ace boxes with a fix (or second "fix" - in form of a cumulative title) to all ships in the game. Surely they don't want people playing competitively with just some 4-5 Scum ships, right?

And now I want FFG to really take the time with the Gunboat. By my predictions, in about 2 years it will release with these stats:  Att 4, Def 3, Hull 6, Shield 4, 4 actions (including Reinforce), 6 upgrades, lots of green maneuvers, a kickass title and basic cost of 17 squad points!

You really think that either of these titles makes either ship so OP that they knock out other ships normally seen as "competitive"?   Did the X1 title make the Tie Advanced overpowered?

Keep in mind that the Starviper is not actually getting a power buff.  It's just getting cheaper and a banking barrel roll.  Are those things really going to take the StarViper from "never seen" to "so broken it breaks X-Wing"?  I cannot imagine someone honestly saying "yes".

Khiraxzes will basically get to spend 1-4 points to become fake me out Protectorate Starfighters with a reduction in other upgrades.  Graz the hunter will still suck without an EPT, Talonbane will still largely lose his defensive dice because Secondary Weapons, and the new PS7 dude's ability will certainly not break the game.

So what is it that people are actually upset about here?  Can anyone point to a single specific thing?  I'm doubting it.  I'm guessing this is just a horrible knee-jerk reaction to scum being the powerful faction at the moment, and still getting love for their until-now-unloved small base ships.

I said it earlier, but I'll say it again because the thread moves fast - neither title really fundamentally alters the frame. The Kihraxz is still 3/2/4/1 with a very average dial and action bar. It doesn't have a lot of upgrade options in the first place - but now you have incentive to stick those upgrades on the Kihraxz because they can be slightly cheaper. You can also give them multiple mods - something IME people really wanted. Remember when the new Syck cards in the C-ROC were previewed? "PRS would be great on a Kihraxz except EU is glued to them". Well, now you can balance out those things. Royal Guard isn't the same - TIE/INs have no basically other upgrade options and already have a native Boost/BR/Evade/Focus action bar. They don't need 3 mods because they would never need VT or EU. 

And is anybody going to run naked PS1 StarVipers for 22 points? PS1 Fangs with title are still 1 point cheaper. The cost reduction just puts them more on par with the Protectorate for +1 shield (which also means they're viable for Scum regen). This just rebalances them better for what abilities they actually have - which most people will immediately burn on "Free" autothrusters and Virago

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Basically when they or you take a hit, you both swing round a bit, then the harpoon rips out and takes a chunk of you with it, is how I'm looking at it.  Like the Reavers in Serenit.

Bossk, might well be able to activate the harpoon effect THEN activate his ability.  Same timing.

The timing isn't the issue, Bossk forces you to cancel the crit to get the 2 hits, harpoon requires the crit to go through uncanceled. It is one or the other in that situation.

Black Sun Ace (23)

• CrackShot (0)
  • Adv. Homing Missiles (2)
  • Guidance Chips (0)
  • Munition Fail-Safe (0)
  • Inertial dampeners (0)

Black Sun Ace (23)

• CrackShot (0)
  • Guidance Chips (0)
  • Munition Fail-Safe (0)
  • Inertial dampeners (0)

Black Sun Ace (23)

• CrackShot (0)
  • Guidance Chips (0)
  • Munition Fail-Safe (0)
  • Inertial dampeners (0)

Black Sun Ace (23)

• CrackShot (0)
  • XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (0)
  • Guidance Chips (0)
  • Munition Fail-Safe (0)
  • Inertial dampeners (0)
  • Hull upgrade (2)

100p squad and some serious critical hits! 

4 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

I said it earlier, but I'll say it again because the thread moves fast - neither title really fundamentally alters the frame. The Kihraxz is still 3/2/4/1 with a very average dial and action bar. It doesn't have a lot of upgrade options in the first place - but now you have incentive to stick those upgrades on the Kihraxz because they can be slightly cheaper. You can also give them multiple mods - something IME people really wanted. Remember when the new Syck cards in the C-ROC were previewed? "PRS would be great on a Kihraxz except EU is glued to them". Well, now you can balance out those things. Royal Guard isn't the same - TIE/INs have no basically other upgrade options and already have a native Boost/BR/Evade/Focus action bar. They don't need 3 mods because they would never need VT or EU. 

And is anybody going to run naked PS1 StarVipers for 22 points? PS1 Fangs with title are still 1 point cheaper. The cost reduction just puts them more on par with the Protectorate for +1 shield (which also means they're viable for Scum regen). This just rebalances them better for what abilities they actually have - which most people will immediately burn on "Free" autothrusters and Virago

Very good points. ^_^

2 hours ago, Johen Dood said:

Anyone else feel like Scum really doesn't need any love right now? I just don't understand how Rebels or Imperials will ever make a proper showing when Scum continues to get such amazing cards/ships release after release. I guess we're set to see 16/16 Scum at the next worlds- 13/16 wasn't enough for whomever at FFG is so in love with Scum.

For my two-cents worth, I feel they're just trying to balance the Scum faction top to bottom. Outside of the JumpMaster, Fenn Rau, and a few Shadowcasters, it's pretty barren. I'll occasionally see BroBots and Thug Lyfe, but the ships specifically in this expansion needed a fix. Just like Rebel Aces made A-wings competitive and Imperial Veterans made Defenders more affordable.

Rebels have had some amazing stuff come through. We just got Rey/Finn/Expertise/PS9 Poe last year. Imps are getting a turret ship with an unending supply of missiles that hit at any range. I think we need to relax a bit to see these ships in actual gameplay before getting too discouraged.

2 hours ago, Johen Dood said:

I just fail to see how FFG thinks this is a good idea to keep buffing Scum. By the time Scurrg, C-ROC, and Scum Aces hit- you'll never see anything but Scum on tables. Like why even play the other factions? Unless you're a masochist or you like being the cannon fodder for someone elses space opera fantasy, I fail to see why Imps or Rebels even exist at all. It truly is 'Scumwing'.

Logically, I have to admit it is Scum's turn for a Huge ship and an Aces Pack.  My Imperial heart is bleeding.  On the bright side, I was planning on flying Imps at Gen Con and so I won't be wishing this set was out by then so I could use it.

1 hour ago, Zazaa said:

These are best news for Kihraxz and Viper lovers! Now I am even happier to own five Kihraxz and three Vipers!

It's true.  My brother is going to love the StarViper fix, and I would like to fly the Kihraxz more.

1 hour ago, UnitOmega said:

And what do you people want to do? You want to cry power creep, **** the bed and whine about how your dog isn't having his day. Well the scum dogs need their days.

Is that a Number 1 or a Number 2?  I can't tell from context. . .

57 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Confirmed, FFG is Scum at heart.

Rebel and Imperial are being dropped from the game.

The new factions are:

Hutt Cartel

Black Sun

Mandalorians

Welcome to Space Gangs: the Miniatures Game!

10 minutes ago, R4B2 said:

this pack is also a nice way to get more illicit slots out there for jabba to buff. 2 pt blasters, 1 pt glitterstims, free dampeners.

You thinking (100pts):

Trandishan Slaver, Jabba the Hutt 

3X Cartel Marauders, Vaksai, Hot shot Blaster, Munitions Failsafe

I am very excited about this! I like both ships and hopefully now the StarViper will have a place in the meta. However, I am a bit worried about Talonbane Cobra, since that's already in the meta without any fix...

Not to be negative, but is it just me, or does FFG want every single ship to be good EXCEPT the ships that show up in the movies? I mean, I like these ships, but I would've preferred more options for the Y-Wing, TIE Bomber, and TIE Fighter... or the Lambda Shuttle, the A-Wing, the B-Wing, just ANYTHING that my less nerdy friends would actually recognize as Star Wars...

Next, I'm predicting a TIE Punisher and TIE Phantom fix (which will be hilarious, because it'll be a free title that undoes the Phantom nerf!) 

I know you're all sick of hearing it, but I seriously feel like FFG is purposely trolling us by having a game CALLED X-WING where the only ship that ISN'T good is the real, original, X-Wing!