bahourmat

New "Guns for Hire" Pack Announced

1 minute ago, Duskwalker said:

Yes, it is like they didn't even consider the recent worlds results when they started designing this pack 1,5 years ago.  

Yeah but aren't they playtesting during that time? And no one is like: "Gee boss, I can't beat any of these Scum lists with Imps or Rebels, we may have a problem."

53 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Talonbane.  Mindlink.  Homing Missiles.  Scavenger Crane.  PRS.  Guidance Chips.  34 points with a mod slot still free.

Don't forget Munitions Failsafe for free!  I think this card might also see more use.   In fact, I could even see Concussion Missiles used more often than not.   They are only 3 pts (much like Plasma Torps), 4 red dice, and you get to modify a blank to a hit.  Throw in Guidance Chips and you can turn one other into a Crit.   If you roll bad on your dice, your opponent gets good greens, or some super defensive build, you can get your Missile back.  

3 minutes ago, Duskwalker said:

The problem is the ability to stack a bunch of upgrades on top of each other (as in the thing that makes the Jumpmaster broken) at a discount. In addition, thous are upgrades that where meant to be mutually exclusive. 

There is no "meant to be mutually exclusive" modifications.  Some may require actions which can be gained by taking other mods (see: Autothrusters and Engine Upgrade), but you're still paying for all that.

And it's not like the Khiraxz will be the first ship to be able to equip more than 1 modification.  If it didn't break Soontir Fel, I doubt it will break a middling jouster that will still have to pay points for repositioning abilities via Engine Upgrade or Vectored Thrusters.  And comparing the J5K's multiple DIFFERENT slots to adding 2 more mod slots on a ship with already limited slots is hilariously disingenuous.  Show me a single interaction between modifications that's on the same tier as, or heck, even a tier below, the formerly workable Deadeye / R4 agromech combination and you may have a point.  But I'm pretty sure we both know that's not possible.

4 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Don't forget Munitions Failsafe for free!  I think this card might also see more use.   In fact, I could even see Concussion Missiles used more often than not.   They are only 3 pts (much like Plasma Torps), 4 red dice, and you get to modify a blank to a hit.  Throw in Guidance Chips and you can turn one other into a Crit.   If you roll bad on your dice, your opponent gets good greens, or some super defensive build, you can get your Missile back.  

Munitions Failsafe + Flechette Torpedoes, + Guidance Chips + Deadeye is just a point. Try to miss if you want to deal stress, use the chips if you just want a better attack at range three.  

EDIT: Dammit. They have a missile slot and not a torpedo slot.

Edited by WWHSD

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

Munitions Failsafe + Flechette Torpedoes, + Guidance Chips + Deadeye is just a point. Try to miss if you want to deal stress, use the chips if you just want a better attack at range three.  

Oh.....can't use Flechette Torpedoes on the Kihraxz!   It only has the Missile slot.

For reference, here is a complete list of the modifications currently available to the Khiraxz Starfighter, with their costs adjusted for the new title:

Autothrusters (1) - Requires taking Engine Upgrade (3)
Engine Upgrade (3)
Experimental Interface (2) - requires taking an ACTION: upgrade in another slot (x-1)
Guidance Chips (0) - Was already free, requires taking missile upgrade (0-4; worth noting 0 does 0 damage)
Hull Upgrade (2)
Munitions Failsafe (0) - requires taking missile upgrade (0-4; worth noting 0 does 0 damage)
Pulsed Ray Shield (1) - mutually exclusive with Shield Upgrade
Shield Upgrade (3) - mutually exclusive with Pulsed Ray Shield
Stealth Device (2)
Stygium Particle Accelerator 1) - requires taking (unique!) Cloaking Device illicit upgrade (1)
Targeting Computer (1) - ship already has TL action; included for completeness sake.
Vectored Thrusters (1)

So there you go.  Find me the "broken" combo in the short list of modification upgrades.

Edited by streamdragon

I truly think if there are any X-Wing players that want to roll up to a store tourney or competitive event and aren't flying Scum, they have to be absolutely f***ing nuts!! I always loved the Khiraxz model and stats, and was OK with the Starviper (didn't like the stock paint job though), and I think these will truly make them playable with the amazing MindLink.

Yeah, I'll play the other factions on beer nights, but NEVER competitively; the bloody Mouse has spoken and given the faction of power even more tools.

6 minutes ago, Duskwalker said:

Maybe they can, and you just need to git gud? 

Yeah me and the whole competitive scene. I mean, are you honestly OK with one faction being super-dominant and amazing compared to the others? Do you really think that's healthy for the game? I'm honestly curious how Scum players can defend this stuff at this point.

Just now, clanofwolves said:

I truly think if there are any X-Wing players that want to roll up to a store tourney or competitive event and aren't flying Scum, they have to be absolutely f***ing nuts!! I always loved the Khiraxz model and stats, and was OK with the Starviper (didn't like the stock paint job though), and I think these will truly make them playable with the amazing MindLink.

Yeah, I'll play the other factions on beer nights, but NEVER competitively; the bloody Mouse has spoken and given the faction of power even more tools.

How on earth do you connect these two decidedly EU, pre-Disney and non-canon ships that I honestly am amazed have been approved for rerelease to nefarious mouse-doings?

And there are good reasons to play either faction competetively. TIE/sfs who will soon get a strong TLT as third ship, Stresshogs and Miranda, for example.

19 minutes ago, Johen Dood said:

I just fail to see how FFG thinks this is a good idea to keep buffing Scum. By the time Scurrg, C-ROC, and Scum Aces hit- you'll never see anything but Scum on tables. Like why even play the other factions? Unless you're a masochist or you like being the cannon fodder for someone elses space opera fantasy, I fail to see why Imps or Rebels even exist at all. It truly is 'Scumwing'.

OK...this....and all the other threads that are talking about Scum being too powerful.    

FFG seems to be in a big mood to Nerf and Buff a bunch of ships.  There was the Great Nerfing that happened.   I think after this past Worlds we are SURE to see another Nerfing.   What will be hit?  Jumpasters will be hit somehow.  Attanni Mindlink will be hit somehow.    Biggs will be hit somehow.  Those are the big offenders from Worlds 2017.   So.....if we think along the lines that these nasty things will be NERFED in the near future, what does that do for the rest of the game?  Are things nearly so "broken" and "Over Powered" if these other things are soon to be nerfed?   What is "competitive"?  It basically means broken and OP.  If Imperials have nothing OP at the moment and Rebels can't make OP without Biggs, then imagine a world where all the OP is gone and there is a new power level. 

OK....you are probably going to say that the humble T-65 X-wing is hurting and needs some love.   Well, after the Biggs nerf, I'm positive they can then release the T-65 fix they have been sitting on.   Just look at all the other fixes they are coming out with lately (Scyk, Kihraxz, Starviper, Tie Bomber, and Tie Punisher).   

4 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

OK...this....and all the other threads that are talking about Scum being too powerful.    

FFG seems to be in a big mood to Nerf and Buff a bunch of ships.  There was the Great Nerfing that happened.   I think after this past Worlds we are SURE to see another Nerfing.   What will be hit?  Jumpasters will be hit somehow.  Attanni Mindlink will be hit somehow.    Biggs will be hit somehow.  Those are the big offenders from Worlds 2017.   So.....if we think along the lines that these nasty things will be NERFED in the near future, what does that do for the rest of the game?  Are things nearly so "broken" and "Over Powered" if these other things are soon to be nerfed?   What is "competitive"?  It basically means broken and OP.  If Imperials have nothing OP at the moment and Rebels can't make OP without Biggs, then imagine a world where all the OP is gone and there is a new power level. 

OK....you are probably going to say that the humble T-65 X-wing is hurting and needs some love.   Well, after the Biggs nerf, I'm positive they can then release the T-65 fix they have been sitting on.   Just look at all the other fixes they are coming out with lately (Scyk, Kihraxz, Starviper, Tie Bomber, and Tie Punisher).   

I hope so, I really do. But at this point I'm not holding my breath. This game has gone totally off the rails.

26 minutes ago, Zazaa said:

These are best news for Kihraxz and Viper lovers! Now I am even happier to own five Kihraxz and three Vipers!

But then you will need three copies of this and have 8 Kihraxz.  But then will only have 6 copies of the title so for Epic will need two more.  Everybody needs 10 Kihraxz right?  Right?

4 minutes ago, force kin said:

Let's see some imperial love?

Ummm....Guidance Chips?  Extra Munitions?  Unguided Rockets?  That Bomb System slot?  That other Bomb thing that will come in the H-6?  Surely, those will help the Tie Punisher.   Also, Imperials will get the Tie Aggressor with TLT's.  Also, Swarm Leader is fantastic for Imperials.  Why do you think the Imperials aren't getting the love?

4 minutes ago, Johen Dood said:

I hope so, I really do. But at this point I'm not holding my breath. This game has gone totally off the rails.

Look at how willing they have been to adjust things recently.  Look at the Worlds 2017 results.  Surely, you don't think they won't do ANYTHING, do you?   FFG has been more active in "fixing" things one way or the other.  With calls for X-wing 2.0 happening, surely they are being active in making adjustments.   

26 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

How on earth do you connect these two decidedly EU, pre-Disney and non-canon ships that I honestly am amazed have been approved for rerelease to nefarious mouse-doings?

And there are good reasons to play either faction competetively. TIE/sfs who will soon get a strong TLT as third ship, Stresshogs and Miranda, for example.

I didn't say it was nefarious, it may be just coincidence that Scum rose to the top and is getting buffs to boot. I was kinda tong-n-cheek, but we all know the Mouse has been in charge of Star Wars since October 2012, so I'm assuming they make money in this deal somehow...perhaps just in the background; maybe they have no say in what happens in games like this, IDK. But that really doesn't matter, I like calling the man behind the curtain "the mouse."

I'm just saying, after playing test games and one small tourney with Scum FennBoats, I cannot for the life of me see any other faction that can add up with Scum's flexibility, maneuverability, resilience and economy of actions. Period.

Maybe I'm a fool, but when I need to win, I will go with the designed power in the game, even if it isn't Star Wars at all.....I'm a sell-out I guess. This pack just makes it all the better to build power lists......But, when I play for fun, I'll play my Interceptors, T-65s and A-Wings.

Edited by clanofwolves

27 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

EDIT: Dammit. They have a missile slot and not a torpedo slot.

Yes, but they can do Ion Pulse Missile for 2 pts with Guidance Chip and Munitions Failsafe.   Sure, not as amazing as Flechette Torps, but still not bad.  

1 minute ago, ViscerothSWG said:

No chance. The Vaksai is same frame as the Kihraxz. The Dunelizard and Scyk are different frames.

That's not really true.  The Dunelizard is clearly just a Scyk with an elongated cockpit.  They're no more different than the Vaksai and Kirhaz are.

42 minutes ago, Johen Dood said:

Can we have this next? I'd like to see this included with this aces pack:

vMcFTiK.png

No, knowing FFG this will only be released in an Scum "Corvette Class" epic pack and there will only be one copy.  I don't know why FFG hates Scum sooo much.

Just to point out, the cards and expansions that have actually broken the game are almost never identified as problematic by the forums at large prior to release.  On the other hand, many many cards that were going to be Super OP have turned out to be fine or even bad when they hit the wild.  I think we are going to be OK here folks.

The only things that should be worrying anyone is probably the new illicit. 

I wonder if this will finally let me fit in enough points to my Fenn, Talonbane, Dengar list...

5 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

But then you will need three copies of this and have 8 Kihraxz.  But then will only have 6 copies of the title so for Epic will need two more.  Everybody needs 10 Kihraxz right?  Right?

Or he could do what I plan to do. Go on eBay and buy 3 more of the title cards.