bahourmat

New "Guns for Hire" Pack Announced

5 minutes ago, streamdragon said:

So how broken is it?

Just look at the post after you (from Duskwalker)

5 minutes ago, Duskwalker said:

Soooooooo,

Am I the only one who thinks this thing is a disaster waiting to happen? 

swx73-vaksai.png

I mean common!!!

30 minutes ago, streamdragon said:

So how broken is it?

Well, we might actually start seeing Kihraxz and StarVipers in competitive play, and performing well to boot.  Emphasis on "might" (they're still 5 HP ships, and we've still got rail gun and burst damage builds out there which can potentially wipe them in one round of shooting).  So clearly it must be broken.  :rolleyes:

Kihraxz now become a potential point sink, because they're (alledgedly) overcosted but you get a discount for every upgrade to equip.  Spend points to save points.  That's great, but it's still just one five health ship with just one attack.

StarVipers get a 3 point reduction and extra mobility.  Awesome, people have been saying since they were released that they were overcosted.

Not really seeing anything to cry foul about here.

Edited by FTS Gecko

2 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Its easy. Do two titles: One PS1-4 and one PS 6-9 only. Hobbie will be an innocent bystander but it has to be done.

Or do a title that doesn't directly benefit Biggs' play style. Maybe involving torps, or repositional actions. Just not a blanket item that can be used to make Biggs even tankier. 

So can I get three Hull Upgrades for my Kihraxz with cost of two, 6p and make my Kihraxz hull points up to 7 and have 1 shield!?! 

Holy moly! I love Vaksai tittle, it let's you do so crazy combinations and so far my favorite thing is Kihraxz with 8hp.. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

Also, Talonbane is now I think officially the cheapest PS11 pilot in the game at 28 points I think.

1 hour ago, Lampyridae said:

Fel weeps quietly in the corner.

41 minutes ago, Johen Dood said:

Anyone else feel like Scum really doesn't need any love right now? I just don't understand how Rebels or Imperials will ever make a proper showing when Scum continues to get such amazing cards/ships release after release. I guess we're set to see 16/16 Scum at the next worlds- 13/16 wasn't enough for whomever at FFG is so in love with Scum.

2017 sure is S&V's year.  They get a huge ship, win worlds, still have the top ship, and get fixes for their three lesser ships (scyk in the CROC and these guys).

Just now, Zazaa said:

So can I get three Hull Upgrades for my Kihraxz with cost of two, 6p and make my Kihraxz hull points up to 7 and have 1 shield!?! 

Holy moly! I love Vaksai tittle, it let's you do so crazy combinations and so far my favorite thing is Kihraxz with 8hp.. :ph34r:

Three different modification upgrades.

1 minute ago, Zazaa said:

No, because it is different modifications. So 4 hull, 2 shields is max.

Jesus Christ...those titles.  "This ship is now much cheaper."  "This ship now gets a ridiculous amount of mods and gets a discount on all upgrades?"  

That is 100% pure power creep.  Or at least, response to power creep.  

2 hours ago, ViscerothSWG said:

The Vaksai title feels very swg. Wish the heavy Scyk got an extra mod too.

Of course, with the Vaksai just being a title instead of a separate ship, there could always be a Dunelizard title for the Scyk now that does something similar.

Edited by DarthEnderX

6 minutes ago, Thormind said:

Just look at the post after you (from Duskwalker)

I mean common!!!

You'll have to be more specific.  You're showing me a card that reduces the cost of upgrading an under-performing (and almost never played) ship, into possibly something reasonably cost effective.  A Khiraxz has, at most, 4 upgrade slots by default (not including title, naturally).  Putting on this title adds 2 mod slots, but does nothing else so far.  You still have to pay points for most mod upgrades (the exceptions being Guidance Chips and Munitions Failsafe, which don't do anything on their own either).  So at most you're saving 6! points, which is absolutely a lot of saved points, but that requires filling every slot on the ship.

It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's hardly broken.  It'll make the Khriaxz into a playable and highly customizable ship, but a slightly less (or possibly more) expensive Talonbane is hardly going to fall into the category of "broken".

Edited by streamdragon

1 minute ago, Darth Meanie said:

2017 sure is S&V's year.  They get a huge ship, win worlds, still have the top ship, and get fixes for their three lesser ships (scyk in the CROC and these guys).

I just fail to see how FFG thinks this is a good idea to keep buffing Scum. By the time Scurrg, C-ROC, and Scum Aces hit- you'll never see anything but Scum on tables. Like why even play the other factions? Unless you're a masochist or you like being the cannon fodder for someone elses space opera fantasy, I fail to see why Imps or Rebels even exist at all. It truly is 'Scumwing'.

5 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Well, we might actually start seeing Kihraxz and StarVipers in competitive play, and performing well to boot.  Emphasis on "might" (they're still 5 HP ships, and we've still got rail gun and burst damage builds out there which can potentially wipe them in one round of shooting).  So clearly it must be broken.  :rolleyes:

Kihraxz now become a potential point sink, because they're (alledgedly) overcosted but you get a discount for every upgrade to equip.  Spend points to save points.  That's great, but it's still just one five health ship with just one attack.

StarVipers get a point reduction and extra mobility.  Awesome, people have been saying since they were released that they were overcosted.

Not really seeing anything to cry about here.

Well heavens to Besty we can't have THAT now can we?!

I agree, this is a fix pack, not an uberbuff back.  It might, MIGHT, get them onto the table and almost competitive.  At the very least it should make them "efficient".  It won't change things like an underlying lack of green maneuvers or, in the case of the Starviper, upgrade slots.  Khiraxz's can get a bunch of 'free' stuff by taking upgrades that noone uses as it is (because they're weak, not because they're too expensive), but you'll still be a Scum X-Wing.  Getting cheaper things like VTs and Cloaks is great, it is, but it still means sinking more points into your Scum X-Wing.

4 minutes ago, streamdragon said:

You'll have to be more specific.  You're showing me a card that reduces the cost of upgrading an under-performing (and almost never played) ship, into possibly something reasonably cost effective.  A Khiraxz has, at most, 4 upgrade slots by default (not including title, naturally).  Putting on this title adds 2 mod slots, but does nothing else so far.  You still have to pay points for most mod upgrades (the exceptions being Guidance Chips and Munitions Failsafe, which don't do anything on their own either).  So at most you're saving 6! points, which is absolutely a lot of saved points, but that requires filling every slot on the ship.

It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's hardly broken.  It'll make the Khriaxz into a playable and highly customizable ship, but a slightly less (or possibly more) expensive Talonbane is hardly going to fall into the category of "broken".

The problem is the ability to stack a bunch of upgrades on top of each other (as in the thing that makes the Jumpmaster broken) at a discount. In addition, thous are upgrades that where meant to be mutually exclusive. 

6 minutes ago, Pretty Green said:

Meanwhile a PS 4 Interceptor can take Crackshot at 22 points.

What's exciting about a 22 point Crackshot Saber Squad? It's a Interceptor that isn't very good at doing Interceptor things.

The Vaksai lets you toss in a bunch of upgrades that are situationally useful for no real cost on a low price ship that hits hard enough that it needs to be dealt with. The 23 point Vaksai is going to be able to use tracers to get target locks for his whole crew at that initial range 3 engagement. He's got Black Market Slicer tools to threaten high PS self-stressing aces.   

So..

Black Sun Ace 23p

• Expert Handling 1p
  • Cluster Missiles 3p
  • Vaksai tittle 0p
  • Hull upgrade 2p
  • Shield upgrade 3p
  • Vector thrusters 1p
  • Inertial dampeners 0p

With total of 33p..

Make three of these guys and you still would have 3p to wiggle with! Is this really how it works?! :ph34r: They would have 7 hit points and they can do their barrel roll without having stress and clear out aplha strikes! 

7 minutes ago, Johen Dood said:

I just fail to see how FFG thinks this is a good idea to keep buffing Scum. By the time Scurrg, C-ROC, and Scum Aces hit- you'll never see anything but Scum on tables. Like why even play the other factions? Unless you're a masochist or you like being the cannon fodder for someone elses space opera fantasy, I fail to see why Imps or Rebels even exist at all. It truly is 'Scumwing'.

6 minutes ago, Johen Dood said:

Can we have this next? I'd like to see this included with this aces pack:

vMcFTiK.png

Yes, it is like they didn't even consider the recent worlds results when they started designing this pack 1,5 years ago.  

1 minute ago, Duskwalker said:

The problem is the ability to stack a bunch of upgrades on top of each other (as in the thing that makes the Jumpmaster broken) at a discount. In addition, thous are upgrades that where meant to be mutually exclusive. 

Unlike the Jumpmaster, however, the Kihraxz is an (alledgedly) overcosted, weak frame, with a limited number of slots to fill.

So yes, you could put Vectored Thrusters, Guidance Chimps, Hull Upgrade and Homing Missiles on a Cartel Marauder for 7 points rather than 10, but that's still a lot of points spent on a relatively weak frame.

Now, I'm not saying there won't be good combinations out there - certain Engine Upgrade, Vector Thrusters, Autothrusters and Push the Limit for 7 points on Talonbane sounds interesting, but for 35 points he'd still fall victim to a similarly-priced Soontir Fel build.

4 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Of course, with the Vaksai just being a title instead of a separate ship, there could always been a Dunelizard title for the Scyk now that does something similar.

No chance. The Vaksai is same frame as the Kihraxz. The Dunelizard and Scyk are different frames. Dunelizard has more mass than even the heavy Scyk and moves like a mini tank to compensate. The big tank kimogala and krayts move even worse but with the amount of firepower on board them you don't much care.

With scum aces in the books, I'm hoping they fix HWKS next.

I am very doubtfull that any of these will be broken, especially the K-Fighter. Mindlink Guri will be very happy about the free FCS and probably make a place for herself next to Fenn. But really, all of these were so bad before that even these great titles might not be enough outside of Guri. Even Talonbane will still be very expensive, to the point where he might still suck.

17 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

StarVipers get a point reduction and extra mobility.  Awesome, people have been saying since they were released that they were overcosted.

Not really seeing anything to cry about here.

These are best news for Kihraxz and Viper lovers! Now I am even happier to own five Kihraxz and three Vipers!