Guest *SOLAR FLARE

SOLAR FLARE Repaints

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

From now on all finished repaints will be posted in this first post.

Here is my first take on a X-Wing mini. I am very happy with the result. Learnd a lot in the process. Feedback is very welcome. Enough talk, here are some pictures.

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgVFF6S

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgMTFNM

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgM2hwd

Edited by SOLAR FLARE
better images, different hosting, changed topic title
stuffedskullcat likes this

Thx! Yeah, the canopy was quite the challenge.

Looking good! I could never do the candy-striping personally, I don't think I have the control to do a decent job.

Is this the first from a squad, or a one-off?

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Looking good! I could never do the candy-striping personally, I don't think I have the control to do a decent job.

Is this the first from a squad, or a one-off?

I had to try twice and clean up a lot until it got like this 😉

Probably a one-off.

Next up should be another T-70 but with a completely different color pattern. Found some inspiration online with I'd like to translate to one of my own T-70. 

Edited by SOLAR FLARE
typo

I have changed the topic title. Ill put pictures of all my repaints in this thread from now on.

Right now I am working on a TIE SF. I also magnetized all my ships and started painting the bases.

Pictures will follow as soon as stuff is finalized.

Posted (edited)

Ok, Ive primed two TIE/FO, a TIE/SF (QD) and a TIE Punisher (Deathrain).

I am having a pretty hard time with the cockpit canopies thou. Plan is to paint a reflection of a moon/starlit nightsky simulating flight above the clouds/atmosphere.

It just wont work out as planed since wet blending wont properly work because of all the freakin crevases of the cockpit. ARGH!

Ok calm down (speakin to myself). Any tips and hints on how to achieve blending on a TIE cockpit are very welcome.

(And probably would save me from madness)

EDIT: Holy exhaust port waste! Just watched this VIDEO. I believe Ive got an idea.

Edited by SOLAR FLARE
Spark of an idea!

Posted (edited)

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgNGh3L

This is heavily WIP. Not quite what I had in mind for the cockpit. Its so freaking tiny. Yet, I am app. 80% satisfied with the cockpit.

This time its going to be a whole squadron with the same painting sheme. Cant wait to send them into action.

EDIT: Progressing real well. Cockpits on all 4 ships are finished. Engines next. Then squad markings.

Edited by SOLAR FLARE
stuffedskullcat likes this

Hm, this is turning more and more into a micro blog. Yet, Ill keep posting if you dont mind.

So, the squadron repaint. Ive just finalized stencils for the panel design of the TIE FOs/SF and TIE Punisher.

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgb2dkb

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgSzdDN

The stencils contain the main design. It will be white on black. Minor details will be added in red. I am quite happy with the design and eager to actually paint it and see how it turns out.

Lets see if someone recognizes the design Ive used?

10 hours ago, Scylla M. Kite said:

'Tis the mark of the Lotus, Tenno!  Interested in seeing how that applies to the panels.

Almost correct. Acutually its a referenc to Dark Sector. The symbol also appears in Warframe as a reference to Dark Sector which was made by the same gamestudio as Warframe.

Got to try my stencils this evening. There is aloooot of overspray, as expected...

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgeUVNZ

... so, get the brush out and clean it up ... 8 times for the whole squadron! Mercy please.

First wing almost done.

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgSHl6R

You could try something like hairspray as a temporary adhesive. Spray it on the reverse side of the template and then press it to the model. Obviously test this on something not too important! lol

Oh, hairspray. Thats interesting.

Problem is thou, I dont have/use an airbrush. Its a freaking white spray primer. But if the template sticks properly this shouldnt be a huge problem.

The templates are rather sturdy and with all that structure on the TIEs wings its rather hard to flush fit the template.

I thought about masking tape. The downsides are that it gets rather flimsy and real hard to position it correctly, and its one use only.

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's not goign to be trivial to get a multi-use template that will fit over a non-flat surface like this.

Yup. Kind of tricky.

Posted (edited)

Making progress again.

Slowly getting the hang of it.

Its such a relaxing process.

Breath in - pick up paint - breath out - stop breathing - relax - paint a little - finish breathing out - clean brush - repeat.

Halfway throu cleaning up the panel markings.

Nice evening everyone.

EDIT: Picturs added. This is WIP.

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgNUlKV

uc?export=download&id=0B869QGpFmmKgZG5uQ

Edited by SOLAR FLARE

When breathing during painting, make sure you are in a ventilated area ... 

Nice work tho looking good 

True story: I fainted at the hospital while my daughter was having her chin stitched. Apparently I was holding my breath during the procedure and didn't realize it.

So... don't forget to breathe. In a well ventilated area... from time to time.

2 hours ago, sf1raptor said:

Can't see the pics.

How is that? I see them.

Anybody else not seenig the pictures?

5 hours ago, JediRush24 said:

When breathing during painting, make sure you are in a ventilated area ... 

Nice work tho looking good 

Or wearing a respirator.

I often forget to remove mine after airbrushing.  I've not managed to leave the house with it on yet, but I've come close...

13 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Or wearing a respirator.

I often forget to remove mine after airbrushing.  I've not managed to leave the house with it on yet, but I've come close...

Know the feeling. I am often reminded that I'm walking around with my respirator on by my cats. For some reason they are terrified of it on my face...