Sign in to follow this  
vyrago

Cheating & lack of floor rules

Has there been any update to the cheating incident at Worlds 2017?  It seems there was a massive outcry then Gold Squadron Podcast told everyone to "move on".....so they did.  FFG Banned a player from all FFG games because he cheated during a Conquest match in 2015 but yet Parker Guidry's cheating has been largely referred to as an "error" and that no malice was present.  

Where's the out-cry?  or we all good now!?

1 minute ago, vyrago said:

Has there been any update to the cheating incident at Worlds 2017?  It seems there was a massive outcry then Gold Squadron Podcast told everyone to "move on".....so they did.  FFG Banned a player from all FFG games because he cheated during a Conquest match in 2015 but yet Parker Guidry's cheating has been largely referred to as an "error" and that no malice was present.  

Where's the out-cry?  or we all good now!?

Please don't. The outcry was forum dominating for days.

Just now, LagJanson said:

Please don't. The outcry was forum dominating for days.

So what was done about it?  "nothing to see here, move along"?    

Wizards hands out 5 year bans for cheating in Magic, Valve gives out LIFETIME bans for cheating in Counterstrike.  Good Guy FFG threatens to turn the car around?  

3 minutes ago, vyrago said:

...  Good Guy FFG threatens to turn the car around?  

As per their suspension policy.

Potentially.

They might also ban for life depending on the circumstances involved as they see it.

But in the end, it is up to them, and they will not entertain lynch mobs on the subject.  

As per their suspension policy, if there is further evidence or statements to be made, they should be made to the correct address as given in the suspension policy.

8 minutes ago, vyrago said:

Wizards hands out 5 year bans for cheating in Magic, Valve gives out LIFETIME bans for cheating in Counterstrike.  Good Guy FFG threatens to turn the car around?  

Ok:

1. There was punishment handed down at the event. It's not my call, it's not your call, it was the judges call. A decision was made.
  2. Floor rules would be great. No argument.
  3. Don't for a minute think that discussion is finished on this topic within FFG and a ban may still follow. They have banned people before.
  4. If you're raging about this still, and I'm not sure how much you are, you need to take a step back a bit and cool down. It doesn't look good on your own character. It's unfair, perhaps, but the pitchfork crusade weeks after the event aren't exactly complimentary.

By the by - I got a Counterstrike ban without ever having cheated. Lucky spray and pray gun at range in a couple of matches earned me a ban. Careful on knee jerk reactions.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong - the guy cheated and I'm not defending him.

Edited by LagJanson

I'm not angry, just a little saddened.  I saw the video of the incident, it seemed very clear to me.  I feel that FFG made a mistake when they began to look at intent.  A players intent can never be truly known, only their actions especially those caught on stream.  I'm not looking for a witch hunt or demanding bans be handed out like candy.  But if these things arent dealt with firmly does it not embolden others to cheat?  does it not hurt organized play and the game in the long-run??  

1 minute ago, vyrago said:

I'm not angry, just a little saddened.  I saw the video of the incident, it seemed very clear to me.  I feel that FFG made a mistake when they began to look at intent.  A players intent can never be truly known, only their actions especially those caught on stream.  I'm not looking for a witch hunt or demanding bans be handed out like candy.  But if these things arent dealt with firmly does it not embolden others to cheat?  does it not hurt organized play and the game in the long-run??  

It does. We should demand clear rules regarding minimum punishments for obvious cheating. The incident itself is past us, but we absolutely should demand clear rules going forward.

23 minutes ago, vyrago said:

Even if there isn't a ban coming, I doubt the end result is going to encourage cheating, really. One, the guy in question, has his name permanently blasted over the internet as untrustworthy. That's going to hang with him. Two, he won't be able to play a game of X-Wing for a very long time without somebody watching him closely. If hypothetically he were at one of the events I run, I'd be giving his matches a greater level of scrutiny than the other matches.

That said - yes, better rules on how to deal with similar scenarios would be nice to have. Perhaps a rephrased request for better floor rules would have generated a more supportive and constructive discussion.

Edited by LagJanson