Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Took the plunge - WOW these miniatures!

Hi there Runewars players!

I'm Crabbok and I have a youtube channel where I cover various FFG games like X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault, and Destiny.  If you haven't figured out by now, the theme is Star Wars.   So today I had an Armada tournament and ended up with a bye for round 1.  Well for those who don't know, Armada games tend to last 2 and a half hours.  What was I going to do with my spare time?   Well I ended up taking the plunge and bought a core set.   Was able to do an unboxing video and looked at all the cool miniatures while I was waiting to play Armada.  

So I've got to say... these minis seem REALLY freaking good!  A little disappointed that some of them HAVE to be glued - because I wanted to assemble them all and play a few games before painting... but oh well not much I can do there.  Guess I need to get started painting!  

Anyhow - great miniatures!  Hopefully the gameplay will be fun!  It'll be hard for any games to dethrone Armada from my #1 spot.  

1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

Hopefully the gameplay will be fun!  It'll be hard for any games to dethrone Armada from my #1 spot.  

Oh, it's fun! If it doesn't dethrone Armada for you, I fully expect it to be sitting (very) snugly behind it at #2

:D

11 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Hi there Runewars players!

I'm Crabbok and I have a youtube channel where I cover various FFG games like X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault, and Destiny.  If you haven't figured out by now, the theme is Star Wars.   So today I had an Armada tournament and ended up with a bye for round 1.  Well for those who don't know, Armada games tend to last 2 and a half hours.  What was I going to do with my spare time?   Well I ended up taking the plunge and bought a core set.   Was able to do an unboxing video and looked at all the cool miniatures while I was waiting to play Armada.  

So I've got to say... these minis seem REALLY freaking good!  A little disappointed that some of them HAVE to be glued - because I wanted to assemble them all and play a few games before painting... but oh well not much I can do there.  Guess I need to get started painting!  

Anyhow - great miniatures!  Hopefully the gameplay will be fun!  It'll be hard for any games to dethrone Armada from my #1 spot.  

I follow your channel even as a casual Armada player. Would be great to see you do the occasional Runewars video!

just put the miniatures together.  This was the first game I've actually had to glue pieces together.   They are beautiful though.  

Quite possibly the best looking detail I've seen yet from any company.  And I've backed several CoolMiniorNot kickstarters.  

1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

just put the miniatures together.  This was the first game I've actually had to glue pieces together.   They are beautiful though.  

Quite possibly the best looking detail I've seen yet from any company.  And I've backed several CoolMiniorNot kickstarters.  

Yeah, they definitely need to be glued.  

As for the figure quality, it sounds like you're coming from board games. I don't think you'll find many miniature wargamers saying these are the best detailed figures. However, I find them very well exectuted and the detail they do have is deep, crisp and easy to paint, considerations which are far more usefull to me than an over-abundance of fine detail.

Either way, welcome to Runewars and Miniature Wargaming!

It wasn't a bad price at all.  After my military discount I got it for like 82 after tax.  

I'm sure someday it will be cheaper than that on black friday or something but it's ok for now.  

2 hours ago, Crabbok said:

It wasn't a bad price at all.  After my military discount I got it for like 82 after tax.  

I'm sure someday it will be cheaper than that on black friday or something but it's ok for now.  

Now do some unboxing showing the expansions and upgrade cards in detail. :D

14 minutes ago, DevilSquid said:

I wonder if down the road after the other two armies are released, if they'll split up the core set so folks can get just Daqan or Undead separately. 

I kind of doubt it but who knows what the future might bring?  

The cost of an army box plus essential pack is pretty close to the box set price anyway.

Also, at this point I think that the two charachters are the only figs not already (or soon to be available) separately.