Schu81

What the.... FFG

I just wish FFG would listen to their customers from time to time.

I cant remember anyone asking for a wookie spaceship which looks like a russian hind helicopter.

But there are literally hundreds of people asking for a T65 XWing fix, as they are the most iconic ships, as well as the name of this whole game.

A lot of people want the gunboat too. So why dont they sell it? Its quite obviously iconic too, to a lot of people.

To be honest... I know the gunboat from the Tie Fighter PC game. It would be fun to have it back un this modern game nowadays.

It's becoming a running joke at the LGS that no one knows what game this is anymore....Dengar stood there, looking like the town drunk in Episode V for what, 3 seconds of screen time, yet he dominates this game in abilities. So when I walk in,  I'll ask someone, "that's cool, what game is that." I'll get a smart answer then when they see me I get a "go away" and I'll quip something and laugh. 

Maybe FFG needs to go to other ship designs, since Luke's T-65's and Darth's Advanced aren't needed to showcase the Space Ships game we all play. I got some ideas, let's add this one. Anyone know it? Probably better than the Wookie Gunship I'll wager:

9ECE90CA-BCB1-48C4-AA12-8609C342F287.jpg

Since we're venting off, I'm going to join in on the fun.

Yeah, let's just make every F'ing X-Wing's cost 12 points and let's give them 8 dice primary. Every goddamn player will be flying only X-wings, but that's OK because it's in the name of the game and it's the iconic ship, right?

First of all, you egocentrics, not everyone is playing the game because it's star wars. I, as well as many, many other players came to the game attracted to the great ruleset (+ well painted minis with no assembly, short games etc.) not because it's some 4 decades old franchise. I don't give a **** if the ship I'm flying was the only one in the original trilogy or if it never made it to the screen. If it's a good looking piece of plastic and it's got a fun set of rules backing it up I'm good.

Second, the X-wing is in a much better spot than some other ships- the StarViper, Kihraxz, B-wing or TIE Punisher see much less play (AFAIK, from those 4 the only one that even made top32 at any worlds was the B-wing, and that was what, 4 years ago?). Two out of the top 4 worlds lists had both a T-65 and a T-70 (it's still an x-wing). As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure when they give the X-wing another fix, even if it makes 5 more pilots very competitive, you guys are going to keep on whining that only half of the pilots see play.

Third, they will give the thing a boost in due time. Designing and playtesting takes time. Wanna know what happens when they rush things? the Jumpmaster happens. Wave VIII was when they decided to pick up the pace. And trust me, making another whiny, immature thread every two days isn't going to speed this up.

P.S. What made you think Expertise Luke was a good idea, anyway?

Edited by Elavion

5 minutes ago, Elavion said:

P.S. Expertise luke is a garbage concept, 

Luke has to take Deadeye. Literally the only time he flew an X-Wing in combat, all he did was stay alive (using Biggs and Integrated Astromech for most of that) and then launch a 4-crit Proton Torpedo without first taking a Target Lock.

3 hours ago, Schu81 said:

Go ahead, give them a fix already. If they are OP afterwards... who cares? Id rather see tons of Lukes at tournaments than Rau and Dengar.

While I agree I'd like to see variety. This is a very slippery slope. Of course, it should matter if they are OP. The X-Wing should not get a free pass because it is "iconic". "Iconic" means nothing when it comes to the game design. Now, this isn't to say the X-Wing doesn't need help, I think it does but it should be a carefully balanced and considered due to the fact that I don't want you to take an X-Wing and it automatically be a good list.

Now this might be me assuming a lot, but whenever I see threads about 'fixing' the X-Wing it is usually because people are considering the films and how 'iconic' the ship is. This should not matter...this should not matter in the slightest, it should not matter the game is called "X-Wing" and the actual X-Wing is not very good. The X-Wing should not be a god ship that you can just take and automatically do very well it needs to be balanced.

If we were to start basing game mechanics around the idea of "Iconic" and fluff, well then we best start making sure Luke, Han, Lando, Chewbacca etc get extra text that says "When defending, during the compare results step you may add three evade results".

Edited by Ebak

1 hour ago, clanofwolves said:

...or, instead of the next 10 second then explosion, ship on a move screen, how bout these oldies:

5B4E3013-1C6C-4FE0-B6C2-8AE688CBAA62.jpg

....maybe too old...but lots of tube time back in the day. ?

B-Wing called, it wants more than 8 seconds of screentime in ROTJ.

41 minutes ago, Elavion said:

First of all, you egocentrics, not everyone is playing the game because it's star wars. I, as well as many, many other players came to the game attracted to the great ruleset (+ well painted minis with no assembly, short games etc.) not because it's some 4 decades old franchise. I don't give a **** if the ship I'm flying was the only one in the original trilogy or if it never made it to the screen. If it's a good looking piece of plastic and it's got a fun set of rules backing it up I'm good.

Boo!

3 hours ago, IG88E said:

Slowly this topics/threads really become boring.

Slowly? We got past slowly a long time ago. At least the gunboat fanatics keep the screams to one thread...

I get that people want an X-wing fix (who doesn't?), but crying about it in yet another thread isn't helping. It's just noise, at this stage. They've made rough attempts (IA, VT) but they're working around Biggs and the fact that a fix would apply unevenly to the T65 and T70, and numoerous other factors like how the hell you release it without doing another X-wing pack, plus keeping up with new movie releases etc.

Basically, there's a lot going on, and rushing it will only make it worse. Besides, not everyone is going to be 100% satisfied 100% of the time. The game is called X-wing because... well because they didn't have a better name. Seriously. The argument I keep hearing is the game is called this, so it should be super strong. Why? It's just a name. It was chosen due to marketing.

The idea that a ship should be made arbitrarily made overpowered just to satisfy some fluff is how you end up with a hot mess like Attack Wing.

34 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

Luke has to take Deadeye. Literally the only time he flew an X-Wing in combat, all he did was stay alive (using Biggs and Integrated Astromech for most of that) and then launch a 4-crit Proton Torpedo without first taking a Target Lock.

He killed a few TIEs and had a decent strafing run that seemed to kill a few DS personnel.

2 hours ago, Schu81 said:

I cant remember anyone asking for a wookie spaceship...

Me neither but they're trying to attract the Star Wars Rebels kids.  Meanwhile, their core audience is left wanting.  I like the Scurrg, I'll admit, but the rest of this wave is a big yawn.  The X-wing does need a fix and scum needs dialed back a bit.   Rogue One was a perfect opportunity to boost the T-65 but the window is slipping away into TLJ mania.  Vader's signature ship is still pretty meh even after a fix.  Power creep killed the iconic characters and we're stuck with ships that are unrecognizable to the general public.  I think that's why they're pushing the Rebels stuff so much lately. X-wings showed up in the trailer for Rebels Season 4.  If we're ever getting a fix, it'll probably be a Rebels-based one since the Rogue One ship sailed.

39 minutes ago, weisguy119 said:

Me neither but they're trying to attract the Star Wars Rebels kids.  Meanwhile, their core audience is left wanting.  I like the Scurrg, I'll admit, but the rest of this wave is a big yawn.  The X-wing does need a fix and scum needs dialed back a bit.   Rogue One was a perfect opportunity to boost the T-65 but the window is slipping away into TLJ mania.  Vader's signature ship is still pretty meh even after a fix.  Power creep killed the iconic characters and we're stuck with ships that are unrecognizable to the general public.  I think that's why they're pushing the Rebels stuff so much lately. X-wings showed up in the trailer for Rebels Season 4.  If we're ever getting a fix, it'll probably be a Rebels-based one since the Rogue One ship sailed.

It took us nearly a year to get an updated Poe and a new Falcon. Give it time, don't forget that we usually see stuff a year after FFG has been working on it with the exception being tie-in ships (that clearly on a rushed schedule) and even those they don't always get 100% because they aren't told everything by Lucasfilm who wish to contain and control the amount of information that gets out. So there is still the possibility of a Rogue-One X-Wing or a Rebels X-Wing, maybe even both in one pack?

I actually think the TIE Adv. fix was a pretty good idea and at the time it was good but has since been replaced by better and more efficient ships. Even though we can all agree, it was okay in Wave 1 and 2...but has since been replaced as the game evolved. The game evolves and that cannot change because if it doesn't change it become stale.

Also, lol, you talk about the gunship and then complain that we are stuck with ships that are unrecognisable to the general public...yeah the Gunship will CERTAINLY help that problem. Everyone recognises the Gunship from...uhm...which Star Wars film did it appear in again? Or was it in that new TV show Rebels?

I think it's very presumptuous and somewhat arrogant of you to assume Rebels isn't something for 'the core audience', there are also a lot of people who are diehard Star Wars fans and do watch (and enjoy) Star Wars Rebels. Yet you seem quick to want to dismiss those yet 'iconic' ships like the X-Wing should get love. I think the X-Wing is iconic as well, but the Ghost is just as iconic.

I will admit the Wookiee Gunship was a headscratcher...but at least it's a canon ship in a recent piece of Star Wars media and not some holdover from a 25 year old video game that while incredible and has so many fond memories for me, has aged terribly and people seem to put certain ships on the 'Iconic' pedestal when that term is very subjective. I mean in my opinion, there is nothing special about the gunboat at all.

Edited by Ebak

In defence of the gunboat, I think a lot of people are holding out hope that it's eventually arrival will herald the ultimate ordnance fix, as well as bringing in a ship that is a world apart from the standard Imperial style. A lot of it is nostalgia, but there's some solid arguments for that being a great "fix" ship, as well as a way to give them Imps a shake up.