Ragudaddy

Inaugural Gencon Tournament already full.

I see this a lot with convention events, and I just don't get why it keeps happening (I'll add I'm not going to GenCon, so other than feeling bad for the folks here, I don't have bone in this fight.) For events like this, that charge a fee and have a limited number of slots, I'm truly puzzled that they don't switch to a Dutch auction. It seems like that would avoid many of the problems, especially with scalpers. Have any cons or events experimented with such a system? 

6 minutes ago, agarrett said:

I see this a lot with convention events, and I just don't get why it keeps happening (I'll add I'm not going to GenCon, so other than feeling bad for the folks here, I don't have bone in this fight.) For events like this, that charge a fee and have a limited number of slots, I'm truly puzzled that they don't switch to a Dutch auction. It seems like that would avoid many of the problems, especially with scalpers. Have any cons or events experimented with such a system? 

I don't know but it seems a much better method, but then you'd have people complaining about prices.

At least then you feel like you had a say, "I chose not to go to inaugural because it was $300 but I got into casual for $60" rather than a system that feels like a crappy plinko machine where everyone released their ball simultaneously and hoped for the best.

Not going to GenCon, even though I'm only about 120 miles away.  I feel really bad for those of you that were only going for New5R, though, and weren't able to get slots. Not that that does anything for you. For those of you that are going to make it,  make sure you make the walls shake with your battle cries! I remember the Magic the gathering and VS crowds getting the $#!+ scared out of them during my first L5R GenCon experience.