• X Wing
  • Y Wing
  • E Wing
  • Imperial Aces
  • TIE Advanced
  • TIE Fighter
  • TIE Bomber
  • TIE Interceptor

So, if we take as given for the moment that these are ALL the ships I own, and for now I won't be buying any more (big vacation coming up next month, budget is shot!), please give input on the following list.  I don't do tourneys, just play for fun, but at the same time, I want to learn best practices on list design and would like help seeing synergies that I might otherwise miss. 

Keyan Farlander - 38
Advanced Proton Torpedoes, Push the Limit

Wedge Antilles - 29

Luke Skywalker - 33
R2D2, Draw their Fire

The idea is that the Torpedoes seem to work well with Keyan's text, and the Push the Limit will guarantee he has the stress to lose for his ability, plus it's just good.  Wedge is Wedge, he doesn't need help.  And Luke's defensive ability + R2D2 means he should be able to keep his shields going longer, and the Draw their Fire means he should be able to take a killing hit from one of the other two, and theoretically "heal" it with the R2 action. 

Yes?  No?  Any and all thoughts welcome, but again, please try to keep my constraints in mind.  I can't take what I don't have.  :)

Edited by direweasel

Can dodge arcs with Han and shoot twice. Chewie provides more beef. Poe is PS10, and regens. If you dont have IA, borrow it or forget it I guess. Xwings and T-70s need it! For more fun Poe, can do PTL + BB8. Lets him barrel roll, PTL off the barrel to focus, do a green to clear stress, then gets his action to boost or target lock.

Han Solo (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Luke Skywalker (7)
Chewbacca (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

EDIT: Just noticed Falcon only comes with 1 VI, so can add adrenaline rush for a 1 round white tallon roll, or do expert handling to get a barrel roll. With R2-D2, you will be doing greens to regen anyhow.

Edited by wurms

Thanks for the input gents.  I have seen Integrated Astromech, and it's definitely interesting.  I might proxy it, but wasn't sure it was kosher to say such things on the FFG website.  Am I also allowed to say I might look for those cards on eBay?  I know people sell the single cards there - hope they're OK with that too.

It basically gives your ship a free hit point because you sacrifice the droid, right?

I take it nobody likes the Keyan build then?  I was fairly proud of that :mellow:

Edited by direweasel

OP: I like the keyan build. It might be hard to get those torpedoes in range given your movement capability--the B-Wing dial isn't too generous. 

Keyan seems cool though, and giving him PTL gives him a lot of opportunity. Do you have an Engine Upgrade? EU, PTL Keyan would be unpredictable and accurate. 

2 hours ago, direweasel said:

Thanks for the input gents.  I have seen Integrated Astromech, and it's definitely interesting.  I might proxy it, but wasn't sure it was kosher to say such things on the FFG website.  Am I also allowed to say I might look for those cards on eBay?  I know people sell the single cards there - hope they're OK with that too.

You can't proxy cards for a tournament, but for casual play it's fine. It's also dude to buy cards on eBay

Proxying is ok so long as it's not at an official FFG tournament. Some stores might frown on it too. But for your buddies? Sky's the limit. 

I think 2 copies of IA come in the Heroes of the Resistance expansion, which is a must for T-70 aficionados like myself. It has Jess Pava, Nien, and Snap + PS9 Poe and the Black One title. Oh and 2 copies of Pattern Analyzer, and 1 Primed Thrusters. 

Edited by BlodVargarna

3 hours ago, BanthaFather said:

OP: I like the keyan build. It might be hard to get those torpedoes in range given your movement capability--the B-Wing dial isn't too generous. 

Keyan seems cool though, and giving him PTL gives him a lot of opportunity. Do you have an Engine Upgrade? EU, PTL Keyan would be unpredictable and accurate. 

Adding advanced sensors to Farlander as well names him even more unpredictable. It's my favorite build for him. 

8 hours ago, BanthaFather said:

Yes, I have several Engine Upgrades.  I use it on Vader with a fair amount of frequency, when I play empire.  So that is definitely something I will look at, seems like it would pair well with PTL anyway, because you're taking an extra action.  So maybe you boost to get into range, then target lock to gain stress, which you then use to hit harder because of the pilot text.  I like it!  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Rasputindarksyde said:

Adding advanced sensors to Farlander as well names him even more unpredictable. It's my favorite build for him. 

Putting all of that on him knocks him up to 45 points though, pretty hefty points outlay.  At that point, I'm tempted to just pair him up with a Fat Han build.  I'll play around with that some too.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

Proxying is ok so long as it's not at an official FFG tournament. Some stores might frown on it too. But for your buddies? Sky's the limit. 

I think 2 copies of IA come in the Heroes of the Resistance expansion, which is a must for T-70 aficionados like myself. It has Jess Pava, Nien, and Snap + PS9 Poe and the Black One title. Oh and 2 copies of Pattern Analyzer, and 1 Primed Thrusters. 

Good to know.  That expansion was high on my list of future purchases anyway, so this will definitely help with that decision.  :)

Fun list? Try this:

Wedge Antilles: BB-8, Push the Limit (34)

Jake Farrell: title, Veteran Instincts, Push the Limit, Proton Rockets (31)

Tycho Celchu: title, PTL, Prockets, Expert Handling (34)

99 pts total. Both A-Wings can boost and barrel roll at their leisure to get into Range 1 and punish the enemy with a 5-dice attack. If you can launch it fully modified (target lock + focus token ready) you can do huge damages to a single target. I still remember the face of my buddy after I oneshotted his decloaked TIE Phantom. xD

And there's a neat trick with BB-8 and Push the Limit: Reveal green maneouver --> Barrel roll with BB-8 --> PTL for an action --> Get a stress token --> Perform green maneouver --> Clear stress token --> Perform normal action.

This helps opening up the otherwise kind of restrictive dials of X-Wings (both T65 and T70), since you don't always have to stick to green maneouvers.

32 minutes ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

Fun list? Try this:

Wedge Antilles: BB-8, Push the Limit (34)

Jake Farrell: title, Veteran Instincts, Push the Limit, Proton Rockets (31)

Tycho Celchu: title, PTL, Prockets, Expert Handling (34)

99 pts total. Both A-Wings can boost and barrel roll at their leisure to get into Range 1 and punish the enemy with a 5-dice attack. If you can launch it fully modified (target lock + focus token ready) you can do huge damages to a single target. I still remember the face of my buddy after I oneshotted his decloaked TIE Phantom. xD

And there's a neat trick with BB-8 and Push the Limit: Reveal green maneouver --> Barrel roll with BB-8 --> PTL for an action --> Get a stress token --> Perform green maneouver --> Clear stress token --> Perform normal action.

This helps opening up the otherwise kind of restrictive dials of X-Wings (both T65 and T70), since you don't always have to stick to green maneouvers.

That sounds awesome - I love A-Wings, and Wedge.  I will have to try this one out!

20 minutes ago, direweasel said:

That sounds awesome - I love A-Wings, and Wedge.  I will have to try this one out!

A-Wings are even better with Stealth Device, 4 dice plus focus and evade tokens give them incredible survivability if you can't arc-dodge in a situation. But it also makes them kinda expensive, and hard to find a third wingman. Autothrusters is 1 point cheaper and some argue that it's better, but the price still becomes an issue.

With those A-Wings, you still have to be aware of your action order to make them work properly.
Jake: Focus action -> boost/barrel roll of your choice -> PTL second action.
Tycho: Expert handling barrel roll -> PTL second action.

Be prepared to drag a pile of stress tokens after Tycho, though. Once my friend counted 17 of them after the end of a game. xD

1 minute ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

Be prepared to drag a pile of stress tokens after Tycho, though. Once my friend counted 17 of them after the end of a game. xD

But it's more or less irrelevant with his special ability, right?  Or is there something I'm missing there?

2 minutes ago, direweasel said:

But it's more or less irrelevant with his special ability, right?  Or is there something I'm missing there?

Of course, it's irrelevant, just looks funny on the table. X) And you have to somehow bookkeep if he has any stress or not, because he cannot perform red maneouvers (K-turns) while stressed.

Edited by Captain Pellaeon

2 minutes ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

Of course, it's irrelevant, just looks funny on the table. X) And you have to somehow bookkeep if he has any stress or not, because he cannot perform red maneouvers (K-turns) while stressed.

Right, and pulling a green only removes ONE yes?

7 minutes ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

It's also hilarious in the roleplay sense, to imagine him returning to base after a battle, all shaking and stressed out to the max.  I'm sure he's real fun to be around in the de-briefing room!  :wacko:

Just now, direweasel said:

Right, and pulling a green only removes ONE yes?

Correct. There are certain crew and ships in the game that can clear stress (Cassian Andor in the U-Wing for example), but you don't have to stick to green maneouvers with Tycho at all. You just won't K-Turn, but if you have to turn around, just disengage with a 5-straight and boost, then do a hard turn + boost in the next turn, and you're almost set.

Or if you don't want to barrel roll with Tycho, you can use Daredevil instead of Expert Handling, and use the 1-hard turn templates for boosting, if you want.

2 minutes ago, direweasel said:

It's also hilarious in the roleplay sense, to imagine him returning to base after a battle, all shaking and stressed out to the max.  I'm sure he's real fun to be around in the de-briefing room!  :wacko:

I found it even more hilarious that his wingman have to fly through the literal cloud of stress that follows him everywhere. xD

8 minutes ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

I found it even more hilarious that his wingman have to fly through the literal cloud of stress that follows him everywhere. xD

Yeah, he should have to attach a little cart behind him or something! :)

So some fun facts to Rebel list Building that I live by. By no means is this the only way to do things, but makes it more fun IMHO.

1) If you are flying a 1agi ship with less than 10 hull/shield you should probably include Biggs, especially if that 1agi ship is anymore than a 1/4 of your list points. Biggs with R4-D6 and IA is the 26pt standard.

2) GSP A-wings with title, PTL, Wired, Chardan, and AutoThrusters are 23pts and are tough to kill and can be great blockers (for the same points, switch to Snap Shot, Juke for added annoyance factor)

3) Chewie is a very under utilized pilot, using draw their fire on him can eliminate the threat of crits all together

4) Stressbot BTL-A4 Y's are amazing

5) BB-8 & PTL on Poe or advanced sensors & PTL on Horn (E-Wing) make for super squirrely Aces 

59 minutes ago, JSwindy said:

So some fun facts to Rebel list Building that I live by. By no means is this the only way to do things, but makes it more fun IMHO.

1) If you are flying a 1agi ship with less than 10 hull/shield you should probably include Biggs, especially if that 1agi ship is anymore than a 1/4 of your list points. Biggs with R4-D6 and IA is the 26pt standard.

2) GSP A-wings with title, PTL, Wired, Chardan, and AutoThrusters are 23pts and are tough to kill and can be great blockers (for the same points, switch to Snap Shot, Juke for added annoyance factor)

3) Chewie is a very under utilized pilot, using draw their fire on him can eliminate the threat of crits all together

4) Stressbot BTL-A4 Y's are amazing

5) BB-8 & PTL on Poe or advanced sensors & PTL on Horn (E-Wing) make for super squirrely Aces 

Those are all helpful.  I will try to keep it in mind.   I have flown with Chewie and he is indeed awesome.  The only time I wouldn't use him to fly the Falcon is if he's in the Crew slot instead.

I have flown Biggs with R2 before, and that seems to work OK because he can refresh the shields on a guy who is a walking bullseye.  R2-F2 seems pretty useful on him too, but I haven't tried it.  It seems like getting extra Agility when you know you're about to be targeted couldn't hurt.  I don't have R4-D6, and he's only in the Transport, so I haven't used him.  Maybe I'll try him as a proxy sometime.  I need to get an integrated astromech, so he can soak one more hit in an emergency too.

Just one more Q - what's a "Stressbot"?

Edited by direweasel

19 minutes ago, direweasel said:

Just one more Q - what's a "Stressbot"?

Stressbot (stresshog): Gold Squadron Pilot Y-Wing with Twin Laser Turret, R3-A2, and BTL-A4 title: After turret attack, it can fire again, double stressing the target. Very useful for denying actions of aces or other pesky enemy pilots. Mostly because it doesn't have to hit to apply stress.