MitchPelon

What do you expect from a Mystic Supplement?

Hmm!  That's a good point that I missed!  If that trend continues, that could point us towards one of the spec names.  I think Judge might be a bit too similar to the Arbiter, as they are, essentially, the same thing (and Adjudicator is just another word for judge :P ), so of the guesses you made, I'd think Inquisitor is the best, although you're right that there's a lot of baggage.

Law enforcement, huh...what kind of law enforcement matches with the Mystic theme?  Although, that would mean the highly likely Witch/Sorcerer spec wouldn't be the conflict spec?  Hmm again...

Apparently I have no idea what my favorite career's book will have!

What does an Agressor have to do with the law though if we are going with this Law hypothesis? 

It might be a pattern in four of the Specs but Warrior is just aggressive. So I don't think Law is the only factor that determines what spec will be the conflict one. I think Sorcerer has a very good chance of appearing and as the Conflict spec.

P.S. I know this is the Mystic section but Warrior is my favorite.

Crusader? That might be a combat law man with conflict.

Sorcerer, Alchemist, Crusader

Sorcerer would be the same as witch.

Alchemists would have the ability to jury rig hit points, imbue. This has a good chance of being the conflict spec also if it has twist flesh talent.

Crusader, I could see this having a bit of protector, a bit aggressor, have another lightsaber spec.

32 minutes ago, Shlambate said:

What does an Agressor have to do with the law though if we are going with this Law hypothesis? 

It might be a pattern in four of the Specs but Warrior is just aggressive. So I don't think Law is the only factor that determines what spec will be the conflict one. I think Sorcerer has a very good chance of appearing and as the Conflict spec.

So far it's 3 > 1. If Arbiter continues the trend, it will be even more apparent there's some kind of theme in place. Aggressor is just turning to be the odd one out.

However If Arbiter isn't the Conflict spec then it will be 2:3 thus not a pattern that can be used as a measure of what Mystic will be like. I can agree however that each class will likely have a spec that sounds like they are a part of Law Enforcement since 4 of the Six have a Spec like that already.

I would like to see a nightsister/sith sorcerer spec. However, both seem to be rather dark-side, and I doubt they'd make a dark-side only spec. Still, I would like to see more esoteric and non-jedi force stuff, and they could create a non-darkside version.

Edited by GrandMasterOberon

The only issue I see with witch is the fact it does seem gender specific (I can't find a quick reference to a male witch in Star Wars canon but I'm no expert)

if im right (and hey I might not be please do correct) then I'd expect a more generic tree that could be used for say witches and sorcerer both

On 5/25/2017 at 10:43 PM, Absol197 said:

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!  Mystic book!  Even a hypothetical thread on what, hypothetically might bein it gets me too excited to think!  Okay, okay, let's see.

First, we need to establish what a Mystic is.  In my opinion (and hopefully in FFG's as well), for each of the other Force careers, although the Force is central and important, it is, ultimately, a means to an end.  For Guardians, that end is the protection of the innocent; for Consulars, it's balance and peace between different people; Warriors use the Force to achieve victory in battle, while for Seekers it's the gateway to exploration and adventure, and Sentinels use it to root out corruption.

For Mystics?  The Force is both the end and the means.  They seek understanding of the Force primarily for themselves and for the Force, to know it, to live it, to breathe and BE it.  It is the Final Mystery, the Great Tapestry, and they seek to know it because by knowing it they, in a way, know all things.

Many of the concepts mentioned above are ones I like and would LOVE to see: Witch seems incredibly obvious, and I really hope that the Witch makes an appearance; Alchemist/Sorcerer would be nice, too, but I think thematically it's a bit too similar to the Witch, so we won't be seeing both, and definitely not all three.  MitchPelon's Ascendant seems like a good one, too.  I love the sound of the Prophet, but I think that is also a bit too thematically similar to the Seer so I doubt it's inclusion.

If I could make only a single request, it would be that there be a spec called the Dreamwalker in the Mystic book.  I would be so, SO happy if that happened, you have no idea :) !

This will never happen.  In fact, I am so confident in this, that if it does happen, you can have my title of board prophet for ever and always.

This is why it will never happen.  There have never been, and I am 100% confident there will never be, repeated specs inside one game line.  The only repeats, of ANY material, has been across different lines.  Yes, both species, equipment, and specializations have been repeated if you take the Star Wars RPG as a whole, but if you look at only one line (Edge, Age, Force), never once has it happened.

I do tend to agree - the Hermit would fit very nicely as a Mystic spec.  I was disappointed that it wasn't a Mystic spec, in fact, because I wanted it to be.  But now that it's a Seeker spec, something else will be in the Mystic book.  My guess is that the Witch will fill a similar role.

Absol, we haven't had sufficient time to see if they will do a second round of career books within EotE, If they do do a second round of career books, then seeing repeats within the line become "plausible" again so I wouldn't have bet your board title just yet.  I would instead recommend for you to put a rider on the wager that it won't happen during the first round of career books.  I don't think that there will be a second round of career books, but I wouldn't bet against it just yet (engineers tend to be risk adverse, if we do an awesome job we might get a nice Shiney plaque, if we screw up, hundreds or  thousands of people could die a horrible death, so on the basis of risk verse reward "betting" on things we're not sure of is generally a losing proposition, so they train engineers to be risk adverse). 

Also I think the most probable repeats/reuse of an existing spec in FaD would be the force sensitive exile or emergent universal specs. 

On 5/26/2017 at 4:50 PM, Shlambate said:

The pattern could be that each career book provides a law enforcement themed spec with a conflict talent.  Agresor is in the core book not a career book so it could be a freebie in terms of conflict talents.

I'm most interested in any new powers, as they are universal for force users rather than specific specs.

Would love to see the kind of Force-Back power shown in TFA that Rey has, which is similar to Quinlan Vos's power to see the past of an object. It's kind of in the rules already but is limited to a force talent in one spec that lets you recreate a scene with the force.

I'm thinking more in terms of a power that lets you see backwards to a certain degree, with upgrades to make it more specific. Could probably have an upgrade for cool checks for initiative since you are more well prepared on what you might encounter. Similar to the foresee power in that it could potentially get out of hand with the knowledge you gain.

I'd also like to see sith alchemy as an option, just an entire dark side power. That would be super cool.

Yes, psychometry is very, very high on my list of things I want, too, and I could think of no better place than the Mystic book!  I'm hoping that the Mystic book, like Disciples of Harmony, will have two Force powers, so we can get psychometry and something a bit flashier. 

<crossesfingers>

1 hour ago, Absol197 said:

Yes, psychometry is very, very high on my list of things I want, too, and I could think of no better place than the Mystic book!  I'm hoping that the Mystic book, like Disciples of Harmony, will have two Force powers, so we can get psychometry and something a bit flashier. 

<crossesfingers>

2 is great but 3 is better. Psychometry, Sith Alchemy, Force Speed (since Enhance doesn't really cover speed mechanically, only narratively.) 

How I would imagine speed: Base power allows you to take 1 less strain when performing 2 maneuvers + an action on your turn, provided you have a force die committed. Further upgrades will eventually do things such as increase the amount of maneuvers you can do per turn for additional strain, allow you to roll force dice with certain skill checks if they are timed, increase your ranged defense temporarily while you have force dice committed. Mastery would be once per session & let you take a second action by rolling your force rating along with your initial action but you must both succeed the first action & generate the appropriate amount of force points (I'm thinking 4).

I'm still not sold on the idea of a separate power for speed, but if they do decide to go for it, it doesn't feel all that...Mystical to me.  Powers for a Mystic either need to be so subtle that you don't even know they're happening, or so blatantly supernatural that your mind goes WTF? WTF! over and over again. 

Speed would fit better in the Warrior book, a surge of physical augmentation that gives you a significant boost in your ability to Pity da Fool who messed with you. 

Edited by Absol197

1 hour ago, Absol197 said:

I'm still not sold on the idea of a separate power for speed, but if they do decide to go for it, it doesn't feel all that...Mystical to me.  Powers for a Mystic either need to be so subtle that you don't even know they're happening, or so blatantly supernatural that your mind goes WTF? WTF! over and over again. 

Speed would fit better in the Warrior book, a surge of physical augmentation that gives you a significant boost in your ability to Pity da Fool who messed with you. 

29 minutes ago, Shlambate said:

Mystic seems more like a Wizard or Sorceror from DnD so Speed or Haste while it would be in their spell list it isn't what they are known for. Warrior seems like the place for any physical powers.

Both of these responses seem reasonable. Hm, what could fit a Mystic then...

idk but Force Scream or a version of it based on a Force Rage power would be neat.

Guardians get Suppress, which is defensive in nature.

Seekers get Farsight, which allows them to see and enhances their senses, a vital tool for actual seeking.

Sentinels get Manipulate, a practical tool for characters surrounded by all manners of technology.

Consulars get Imbue and Ebb/Flow, which are pretty much party buff spells.

It stands to reason Warriors will get something that enhances or supplements their combat skills in some way. If we get it at all, something like Speed would best fit here.

Likewise, it stands to reason Mystics should get a suitably mystical power. If they do get two powers, I'd think one might be some kind of offensive ability, and the other would be more multi-purpose, like Alchemy.

Malacia,Morichro maybe?

1st induces nausea sometimes to the point of vomitting, could be a strain thing. 2nd can slow a person's functions down untill they're basically dead unless you get them out of it. both technically light however. 

I'd suggest sever force but that would cause too many problems.  

random question is there a shatterpoint force power/talent? 

25 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Shatterpoint is covered by the centre Control upgrade of the very bottom row of Seek, you can theoretically add up to Pierce 11 (Cunning 6, Perception 5) to your attacks.

thanks!