Darth Sanguis

The Interdictor, just for fun

On 5/26/2017 at 7:40 AM, Kiwi Rat said:

Problem with this, is what happens if the enemy ship overlaps its own maneuvre tool? Then the move is per the current standing rules illegal.

You may currently only overlap the maneuvre tool due to the effects of bumbing.

So you have to add a cavet to the suggested rule, that the enemy ship can or cannot end its move overlapping the maneuvre tool, else people will have a large row about it on this forum and complain about why there is not an FAQ on it :D

Except (that I can't read good early in the morning and he covered this) there already exists a situation where you can overlap the maneuver tool, when ramming, so there is precedent.

I think the issue with the interdictor is a complete lack of spike damage.  Blue dice are just too consistent, but never exceptional.  4.5 damage over 2 attacks isn't threatening for the points.  Maybe a Vic 2 volley out the front .

Edited by Darthain

15 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Except there already exists a situation where you can overlap the maneuver tool, when ramming, so there is precedent.

I think the issue with the interdictor is a complete lack of spike damage.  Blue dice are just too consistent, but never exceptional.  4.5 damage over 2 attacks isn't threatening for the points.  Maybe a Vic 2 volley out the front .

Yeah, but the primary goal of the interdictor isn't combat as such. It's fleet support. Projection Experts for shields, Experimental Refits for various other shenanigans, a semi-decent carrier (and the only Imp one that can take the FC/FCT combo), ect. If you want straight up damage, take a VSD.

On 25/5/2017 at 9:46 PM, Alzer said:
  • Gravity Generator Overload

10pts:

At the beginning of the ship phase, you may discard this card to reduce all ships within distance 1-5 to speed "0" then deal two face-up damage cards to this ship.

That is just... just... brutal :lol:. I think you went "a bit" over the top here.

12 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Yeah, but the primary goal of the interdictor isn't combat as such. It's fleet support. Projection Experts for shields, Experimental Refits for various other shenanigans, a semi-decent carrier (and the only Imp one that can take the FC/FCT combo), ect. If you want straight up damage, take a VSD.

For a ship that reputedly rips things out of hyperspace then murders them, I'm not seeing it here.

I understand what their intent with the interdictor was, it is clearly not functioning as intended.  The support is not strong enough to make up for the glaring deficiencies.  

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

For a ship that reputedly rips things out of hyperspace then murders them, I'm not seeing it here.

I understand what their intent with the interdictor was, it is clearly not functioning as intended.  The support is not strong enough to make up for the glaring deficiencies.  

I dunno. I have never run it myself, but that's only cause I have yet to physically hold one. I do hear that it is made for unconventional tactics though. So perhaps it is functioning as intended, but it takes somebody who thinks out of the box to use it properly? It would fit its character. It's a ship that breaks the standard laws of Star Wars hyperspace travel by creating artificial planets (or at least simulating their impact), and in-game it breaks the laws of obstacle placement (by allowing you to move them afterwards), and deployment at speed 0. So it would make sense that to be flown properly, it would need to break the laws of conventional fleet construction.

47 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

I dunno. I have never run it myself, but that's only cause I have yet to physically hold one. I do hear that it is made for unconventional tactics though. So perhaps it is functioning as intended, but it takes somebody who thinks out of the box to use it properly? It would fit its character. It's a ship that breaks the standard laws of Star Wars hyperspace travel by creating artificial planets (or at least simulating their impact), and in-game it breaks the laws of obstacle placement (by allowing you to move them afterwards), and deployment at speed 0. So it would make sense that to be flown properly, it would need to break the laws of conventional fleet construction.

If there was something legitimate to figure out, someone would have cracked the nut by now.  I get it, the model is awesome and the idea is cool, but it isn't carrying it.  

2 hours ago, Darthain said:

For a ship that reputedly rips things out of hyperspace then murders them so that its friends can murder them, I'm not seeing it here.

Fixed that for you. But I do agree with your statement. I could do with a less tanky, less well-armed ship - but the Gravity Well upgrades need to be better to justify the ship's existence.

2 hours ago, Darthain said:

Can I ask...  Where did you get that reputation, exactly, though?  Is it a Canon source?

I mean, in Rebels, where's its actually shown - it totally does that...  To a CR90.

Then at that point, its purely shown as a Fleet Support asset.  It stops the rest of the Rebel fleet from getting away while ISDs do the heavy lifting...

Edited by Drasnighta

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

Where did you get that reputation, exactly, though?

Absorbing and piecing together whatever fluff people around here usually spout.  I don't star wars, recall.

Also in the spirit of the thread - repulsor wave thingy.  Move all squads at 1-3  1-2 away.

Edited by Darthain

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

Well, I added some explanations - so, regrettably...  This is a point where your view of the reputation is... regrettably, completely unfounded. :(

I'll live I'm sure, as long as no one tries to make me watch Rebels.

8 minutes ago, Darthain said:

I'll live I'm sure, as long as no one tries to make me watch Rebels.

Which is perfectly your choice, of course...  I'd just want to caution you that discussing "Star Wars" with people who do "Star Wars" while you don't "Star Wars" can and will lead to incorrect Assumptions...  That's all :D

The Interdictor is an absolute support asset.  Its Gravity Wells, even in the story lines, are a little gimmicky - they are at times a very neccessary gimmick for the Empire, but that also makes the Interdictor prime target number one for the Empire - and because it has all of its power generation and management for the Gravity wells - its undergunned and occasionally even depicted as under-protected.

When it is depicted as being a capable combat vessel -its generally interdicting and bullying much smaller ships - like Corvettes and such...  Which you would expect here as depicted as well...

So certainly, I feel that their depiction of the Interdictor is well-on-track in-game.  Personally, the only thing I didn't like at the start was the fact that it was a singular prototype - and you could take multiples...  But even that now has disappeared with further depictions in the Canon.

But also, that's me Personally...

And boy, am I often wrong :D

Edited by Drasnighta

4 hours ago, Darthain said:

Except there already exists a situation where you can overlap the maneuver tool, when ramming, so there is precedent.

Uhmm... I thought i allready made that clear when I wrote:

On 26/5/2017 at 1:40 PM, Kiwi Rat said:

You may currently only overlap the maneuvre tool due to the effects of bumbing.

But I guess that bumbing is the lesser cousin of ramming ;):P:D:o:)