Darth Sanguis

The Interdictor, just for fun

6 hours ago, miedomeda said:

Honestly I cant make myself bring the interdictor to the table most of the time, and that's not because of what the ship lacks in terms of tricks (which are neat and dandy) or firepower (buy and ISD instead?). My problem with the interdictor is, has always been and forever will be its points cost. I remember going nuts with the spoilers from wave 4 as a mainly imperial player, because the relative point cost between the 2 ships released didn't seem to make sense back then: almost one year later, those concerns are still valid, as while Liberty is rampant in a myriad of lists mainly because of its cost efficiency, I barely get to see the interdictor played, ever, because it just doesn't fit in any remotely good list. 

Now, I'm not really complaining from a game balance point of view, and I am maybe one of the few left around here that doesn't think Rieekan aces is unbeatable and such. Empire is fine, they have their vulnerabilites, but overall can definitely compete with rebels. What I feel it's a shame is the missed opportunity, as without a (very unlikely) point decrease for the interdictor, I don't see it being played even with new cool upgrades. 

I would like to see -10 point title released for the interdictor. 

16 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I would like to see -10 point title released for the interdictor. 

Or even -5?  I'm not entirely sure I want Armada to get into the "point reduction" upgrades though.

I think the reason the interdictor is costed the way it is was to prevent four or five of them from being crammed into a list with Tarkin passing out engineering tokens each turn.

I mean you can fit four right now but you only get one two point upgrade on one of them.

But can you imagine 4+ of those bad boys decked out with 8 engineering per turn? Everyone with projection experts passing shields around to whichever one is getting focused? Good luck killing anything hahaha

For a CC Campaign, I (shamelessly) took Tarkin on a 4-Ship Fleet that was ISD, Interdictor and Double-Victory.  So much Engineering.  So much In-the-face Double-Arcing where Targeting Scramblers paid off.

Losing games was difficult.

The Interdictor encourages an outrageous mindset.  If you're "comfortable" with conventional tactics, then you're likely to always see the Interdictor as overcosted and sup-optimal.  Because in the most conventional manner, it is...  But when its used outrageously to outrageous means, its a force multiplier attached to a solid ship.

18 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

For a CC Campaign, I (shamelessly) took Tarkin on a 4-Ship Fleet that was ISD, Interdictor and Double-Victory.  So much Engineering.  So much In-the-face Double-Arcing where Targeting Scramblers paid off.

The Interdictor encourages an outrageous mindset.  If you're "comfortable" with conventional tactics, then you're likely to always see the Interdictor as overcosted and sup-optimal.  Because in the most conventional manner, it is...  But when its used outrageously to outrageous means, its a force multiplier attached to a solid ship.

Exactly my point. You had an extra 100 points, allowing you to cram all that in there and still have upgrades to create a beast of a nigh unkillable fleet. I think they wanted to prevent that for tournament play by making it impossible at the 400 point limit

Edited by MandalorianMoose

20 hours ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

I want the interdictor to be the weird ship that messes with stuff.

-Select up to 4 squadrons in close-medium range and turn them to activated.

-Reduce the anti-ship armament on all squadrons in close-medium range by 1.

Stuff like that.  It's not loaded for firepower.  So make it a control piece.

an upgrade like this should cost a solid 30 points.

2 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

At this point, I really have to bring up the old Immobilizer 418 ship, upgrade and title cards from Armada Shipyards, which long predate the Armada (and even Rebels) Interdictor.

If I were to reboot these, I'd probably start by making the G7-x cancel Scatter as well as Evade.

Better version is better.

I'd kill to have this instead.... 

48 points? Perfect for a support ship.

90 points? I'd rather have a destroyer...

13 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

At this point, I really have to bring up the old Immobilizer 418 ship, upgrade and title cards from Armada Shipyards, which long predate the Armada (and even Rebels) Interdictor.

If I were to reboot these, I'd probably start by making the G7-x cancel Scatter as well as Evade.

I think the only issue looking forward these days at your  Immobilizer, is its cost effeciency versus, say, the Quasar...   Because it has a very similar armament spread, after all.

31 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I think the only issue looking forward these days at your  Immobilizer, is its cost effeciency versus, say, the Quasar...   Because it has a very similar armament spread, after all.

Indeed, it's an interesting comparison!

• Shields, hull, command value and battery armament are identical.
  • The 418 has a minor advantage in anti-squadron armament and upgrade bar, and a major advantage in survivability due to the extra Brace.
  • The Quasar, on the other hand, has a major advantage in speed and maneuverability and, more importantly, a decisive advantage in squadron value (up to 5!).

Given how critical a high squadron value is, I'd say that the Quasar I should be a little more expensive than the 418. Titles and special upgrades aside, of course.

EDIT: Having said that, it might make sense to increase the cost of the barebones 418 and make the upgrades cheaper, as FFG did with the 'dictor. This discourages its use as a cheap gunship or picket and plants it more firmly in the support role.

But, really, the reason I brought this up wasn't the ship, but rather the various upgrade abilities. Although some tweaking and balancing would be needed, I still feel some of them would be more interesting/useful than its FFG counterparts. And certainly than a lot of the horribly OP suggestions flying around...

Edited by DiabloAzul

The high cost of the intereictor always seemed (to me) to have incorporated some of the value of the Experimental Upgrades. That they did this to strongly enforce the intereictor as a janky/goofy style of ship. Grav wells and Grav Shift Reroute are too good for so cheap.

If you think of Grab Shift Reroute as a 10 upgrade and the Interdictor as 83 points, it starts looking more how people would have costed it. 

The Pelta doesn't seem to cost more to encourage the fleet support upgrades. That's why it sees the table for other reasons. 

* G-11 Gravity Surge (Experimental Retrofit, 8 points)

When you activate, discard this upgrade and choose up to two enemy ships at distance 1-5 that are smaller than you, or one enemy ship at distance 1-5 that is your size or smaller. The targeted ships immediately change their speed to 1.

You want to see the Interdictor become competitively viable? Allow it to set up big plays, instead of just mildly annoying the enemy during deployment and then having a non-impact in the game thereafter. I think a balanced version of this upgrade could be made that sets the targets to speed 0, if it were counterbalanced by increased cost, limited targets, limited range, and/or corresponding speed decrease to the Interdictor. But I won't go that far yet. Yes, it utterly screws over a certain type of playstyle that wound up in the wrong position without carefully playing around the G-11, but the game can accommodate those "deal with me or lose" units. It has several already.

Reverse gravity generators: 15 points

Experimental retrofit

When a small ship or squadron would end its activation at distance 1-3 of you, you may discard this card to move the ship to distance 5 in the direction directly opposite to you, with the ship's fornt arc facing you.

Very bad wording, sorry, but here's my idea

30 minutes ago, Visovics said:

Experimental retrofit

When a small ship or squadron would end its activation at distance 1-3 of you, you may discard this card to move the ship to distance 5 in the direction directly opposite to you, with the ship's fornt arc facing you.

Nice, but how would you move it? Back along the maneuver tool?

1 hour ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Nice, but how would you move it? Back along the maneuver tool?

I'm still trying to think on that part, although one that wouldn't be that comlicated would be...

Gravitational Dominance, 10 points

Experimental retrofit

When a small ship ends its activation at distance 1-3 of you, you may exhaust this card, the enemy ship may perform a speed 2 maneuver where you change the clicks. When a medium ship ends its activation at distance 1-3 of you, you may exhaust this card, the enemy ship may perform a speed 1 maneuver where you change the clicks

1 hour ago, Visovics said:

Experimental retrofit

The game has no feasible way to model forced movement, and terms like "directly opposite you" and "facing you" are meaningless to the game. So the upgrade is impossible to implement. Sorry, I really don't mean to pick on anyone personally. I just see upgrades using impossible game mechanics and in general those types of upgrades should just be written to say "Put away the rule book and turn your ships into action figures."

I insist on being constructive, so here's how it would have to be. Look at mechanics like overlapping squadrons and Konstantine. You can't write Armada rules that reposition ships, so instead you just allow the opponent to decide how it moves for that maneuver. You assume that the opponent's best efforts to screw up the ship are good enough to model the ship being pushed around badly.

4 minutes ago, Visovics said:

I'm still trying to think on that part, although one that wouldn't be that comlicated would be...

Gravitational Dominance, 10 points

Experimental retrofit

When a small ship ends its activation at distance 1-3 of you, you may exhaust this card, the enemy ship may perform a speed 2 maneuver where you change the clicks. When a medium ship ends its activation at distance 1-3 of you, you may exhaust this card, the enemy ship may perform a speed 1 maneuver where you change the clicks

Yep, that would work.

On 5/26/2017 at 5:00 PM, Drasnighta said:

It's a ship that really rewards sideways thinking. Control pieces usually are, but this especially.

I used to run it loaded up with Scramblers and G8 alongside a pair of ACM Raiders and a pair of APT Gladiators. A really strange looking list, but flown a certain way, does outrageous damage. I had the two Raiders strip an ISD to 4 hull points after just a couple of turns, for no damage in response, thanks entirely to the Scramblers and the G8 holding the ISD to a predictable speed for them.

I also ran it with an ISD and VSD with Phylons on all three. It's not a list that would survive well now, but hot **** did it throw it's weight around when faced with an MSU or 2-large list. The VSD isn't the most nimble ship in the game, but when you can outright prevent flanking through brute tractor beams, it's suddenly a-ok.