Darth Sanguis

The Interdictor, just for fun

The interdictor is by-far one of my favorite models FFG produces, and while I can't say I fully appreciate the 90 point value I'm just starting to enjoy it's more subtle play methods, that said, I can't help but hope they left it so bare for future revisions. 

One of the major things that sticks out to me about the interdictor release is the lack of titles. While I understand it was the only one shown on rebels every ship has come with at least 2 titles. (edit) except the Pelta, which could be the rebel inverse 

Did the imperials only make a single interdictor? From a manufacturing standpoint that makes no sense, as initial investment costs are often paid for by long term usage...

So maybe, they left it bare to give it more structure later in the game. 

Because of the experimental retrofit, there are limitless uses this ship could be molded to fit.

Here of some of the things I think would be fun to release for it. 

-Dedicated healer ideas-

While the interdoctor is a neat, but costly way to keep ships alive, what if they took it further?

Experimental retrofit:
"Experimental hot patch cannons"(unique)
8 points
Modification
When declaring a target for an attack the target must be a friendly ship. Roll armament and modify as normal. Attacks cannot deal damage. For every critical hit icon remove one damage card from the defender. 

Offensive retrofit:
"Repair buzz droids"
6 points
When you activate, you may discard this card. If you do all friendly squadrons that are not engaged at distance one may restore up to your squadron value of hull points.

Title:
"Unarmed Medical Frigate"(unique)
10 points
When you suffer damage from an attack, choose a friendly ship, that ship may add a die of any color already in it's pool to it's next attack. This effect can only add 2 dice per ship before it must be used. 

-Dedicated tank ideas-

I'm sure we've all noticed by now that the shield dials do actually go up to 6, yet no ship has been released that can reach this number. Perhaps an experimental retrofit could fill the roll for damage soak without using clunky taunt mechanics

Experimental retrofit:
"Experimental Shield Generators" (unique)
Modification
16 points
Reduce the battery Armament of each hull zone by 1 red and 2 blue. 
Each shield value is increased by 3 to a maximum of 6. The interdictor deploys with adjusted values. 

(Dual slot) Experimental Retrofit-Offensive Retrofit:
"Magnetic field generators"
8 points
At the Start of the ship phase you may exhaust this card. If you do, all squadrons within distance 3 reduce their speed by 2 to a minimum of 0 until the end of the round.

Title:
"Immobilizer"
13 points
You start the game with 3 "grav well tokens" At the beginning of the ship phase you may place any number of your grav well tokens at distance 4-5 of you. Ships and squadrons within distance 3 of a grav well token temporarily reduce their speed to zero until the next status phase. At the beginning of the status phase remove all grav well tokens placed this way from the game.

Anyone else have any hopes and dreams for the interdictor?

Edited by Darth Sanguis

I want the interdictor to be the weird ship that messes with stuff.

-Select up to 4 squadrons in close-medium range and turn them to activated.

-Reduce the anti-ship armament on all squadrons in close-medium range by 1.

Stuff like that.  It's not loaded for firepower.  So make it a control piece.

Magnetic Puller Thingy (its a technical term)

Exhaust this card to do the following.  When an enemy ship at distance 1 - 5 slots  its maneuver tool but before it physically moves you may change 1 segment by 1 notch of your choice.  Maneuver can not go beyond 2 notches.

3 pts (way cheaper than it should be, but the **** ship is way more expensive than it should be... so it evens out)

Edited by PartyPotato

I was actually JUST thinking about this!  The one I thought of was:

Experimental Retrofit:

• Hyperspace Deployment Pulse 

8 points:

When Deploying, you may deploy one ship of medium or small size within range 1-5 of this ship.

• Gravity Generator Overload

10pts:

At the beginning of the ship phase, you may discard this card to reduce all ships within distance 1-5 to speed "0" then deal two face-up damage cards to this ship.

30 minutes ago, Alzer said:

Experimental Retrofit:

• Hyperspace Deployment Pulse 

8 points:

When Deploying, you may deploy one ship of medium or small size within range 1-5 of this ship.

I think it would be cool if you could use a ship with Experimental Retrofits as the deployment point for a Hyperspace Assault.

4 minutes ago, Democratus said:

I think it would be cool if you could use a ship with Experimental Retrofits as the deployment point for a Hyperspace Assault.

It would be, yeah, but I think that would have to be a change to Hyperspace Assault, not for necessarily the interdictor itself.

"Gravity Wave projection [Experimental][12pt]

Modification. After a ship resolves a maneuver, if you can only be attacked by the forward hull zone of that ship, it must exhaust a defense token if it ends its movement at distance 1-5 of you. Then exhaust this card."

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

... While I understand it was the only one shown on rebels every ship has come with at least 2 titles. (edit) except the Pelta, which could be the rebel inverse 

Did the imperials only make a single interdictor? From a manufacturing standpoint that makes no sense, as initial investment costs are often paid for by long term usage...

This has now been amended with the Season 3 Finale of Rebels.

Two more Interdictors were shown there....  Of course, they were basically both trashed as well....  But the "Interdictor" itself is supposed to refer to the Prototype.

The others mass-produced are, basically, massed produced, and have not been in Service long enough to develop the kinds of Quirks and Differences and Refits and such, that a Title essentially represents...

Yavaris is Yavaris because its been modified to command squadrons - its been used in that role a while to do so.

Redemption is the medical frigate, because internally, that was what it was modified to do.

Devestator has the crew and the upgrades to represent what it is, because it was modified to do so....

Its jsut a matter that, essentially, in the timeline, they're Rare enough and not committed enough to stand out in any meaningful way, YET.

So there may be more titles to come through a pack or something later - but its original design space is to say "Here's the Prototype, and here's the massed produced models..."

20 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

This has now been amended with the Season 3 Finale of Rebels.

Reveal hidden contents

Two more Interdictors were shown there....  Of course, they were basically both trashed as well....  But the "Interdictor" itself is supposed to refer to the Prototype.

The others mass-produced are, basically, massed produced, and have not been in Service long enough to develop the kinds of Quirks and Differences and Refits and such, that a Title essentially represents...

Yavaris is Yavaris because its been modified to command squadrons - its been used in that role a while to do so.

Redemption is the medical frigate, because internally, that was what it was modified to do.

Devestator has the crew and the upgrades to represent what it is, because it was modified to do so....

Its jsut a matter that, essentially, in the timeline, they're Rare enough and not committed enough to stand out in any meaningful way, YET.

So there may be more titles to come through a pack or something later - but its original design space is to say "Here's the Prototype, and here's the massed produced models..."

So we may see something of this sort later.

Though I heard they're ending Rebels at season 4? 

3 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

So we may see something of this sort later.

Though I heard they're ending Rebels at season 4? 

There is no official confirmation of that, that I know of (I might have missed it, though)

They've been renewed for series 4, and last year, I think it was Freddie Prinz Jnr. who said they'd done vocal work for Seasons 4 and 5 - but that was an obscure quote on twitter, I believe...  Also, it was in the middle of season 2, so its entirely possible that things were re-worked to make it all 1 season.

Disney has not confirmed that Rebels will end with Season 4, to my knowledge (could always be wrong) - only that they've so far only confirmed season 4 going ahead.

Edited by Drasnighta

As it stands I feel like the interdictor is a solid ship as is targeting Scramblers. Is a strong counter to demo, and shrimp swarm. Grav shift reroute is great for placing g-7 grav well projectors are good, but you really want two and two intordictors is a high price, wish it was distance 1-5 and cost 5-10ish. G-8s I have found lacking.  I do think more experimental retrofit upgrades would help the intordictor out.  I personally feel that the max squadron lists have really hurt the intordictor in the 'meta', but in my area people are shifting away from the squadron game and the shrimp list is really catching on so I think an intordictor might be the answer.

Honestly I cant make myself bring the interdictor to the table most of the time, and that's not because of what the ship lacks in terms of tricks (which are neat and dandy) or firepower (buy and ISD instead?). My problem with the interdictor is, has always been and forever will be its points cost. I remember going nuts with the spoilers from wave 4 as a mainly imperial player, because the relative point cost between the 2 ships released didn't seem to make sense back then: almost one year later, those concerns are still valid, as while Liberty is rampant in a myriad of lists mainly because of its cost efficiency, I barely get to see the interdictor played, ever, because it just doesn't fit in any remotely good list. 

Now, I'm not really complaining from a game balance point of view, and I am maybe one of the few left around here that doesn't think Rieekan aces is unbeatable and such. Empire is fine, they have their vulnerabilites, but overall can definitely compete with rebels. What I feel it's a shame is the missed opportunity, as without a (very unlikely) point decrease for the interdictor, I don't see it being played even with new cool upgrades. 

15 hours ago, PartyPotato said:

Magnetic Puller Thingy (its a technical term)

Exhaust this card to do the following.  When an enemy ship at distance 1 - 5 slots  its maneuver tool but before it physically moves you may change 1 segment by 1 notch of your choice.  Maneuver can not go beyond 2 notches.

3 pts (way cheaper than it should be, but the **** ship is way more expensive than it should be... so it evens out)

Problem with this, is what happens if the enemy ship overlaps its own maneuvre tool? Then the move is per the current standing rules illegal.

You may currently only overlap the maneuvre tool due to the effects of bumbing.

So you have to add a cavet to the suggested rule, that the enemy ship can or cannot end its move overlapping the maneuvre tool, else people will have a large row about it on this forum and complain about why there is not an FAQ on it :D

2 hours ago, Kiwi Rat said:

Problem with this, is what happens if the enemy ship overlaps its own maneuvre tool? Then the move is per the current standing rules illegal.

You may currently only overlap the maneuvre tool due to the effects of bumbing.

So you have to add a cavet to the suggested rule, that the enemy ship can or cannot end its move overlapping the maneuvre tool, else people will have a large row about it on this forum and complain about why there is not an FAQ on it :D

Good clarification.  I was aiming for manipulating the movement tool in a "standard legal" way.  I just think it would be amazing to mess with peoples minds about if they'll be close enough to be inside black range etc.

Targeting uplink: 15 points; friendly ships at range 1-3 when attacking another ship may use blue dice at long range, and black dice at medium range dice rolled this way can not be manipulated other then by defense tokens.

34 minutes ago, chr335 said:

Targeting uplink: 15 points; friendly ships at range 1-3 when attacking another ship may use blue dice at long range, and black dice at medium range dice rolled this way can not be manipulated other then by defense tokens.

That'd be baller as hell