Sign in to follow this  
Noxragnarok

Panic vs Morale

Hi guys

Newbie here to tabletop gaming.

Question about morale and panic tokens.

Locally people are saying that when you roll the morale icon on a die during an attack you can use it to give the defender a panic token and stack them for later turns.

Is this right?

I understand you get panic tokens from missing a charge or bumping into enemy units. I am just confused by the dice icon and what it does.

Thanks

No, morale icons are spent right away, during the combat roll that produced them.  Panic tokens are spent (optionally) to add to the amount of morale icons, or to trigger a morale test on their own if a combat roll didn't produce any morale icons.

For example, I attack a unit with a panic token and roll 2 morale icons.  A severity 2 morale test will happen, but I can spend the panic token to make it a severity 3 morale test if I want.  

If a unit has 3 panic tokens and I attack and roll no morale icons, I can choose to spend any number of those panic tokens to trigger a severity 1-3 morale test, depending on how many I choose to spend.

Edited by Daverman

Is it possible to trigger a morale test at severity 4?

If not it would make units with Steadfast immune to the severity 3 test of that type. 

If you are able to trigger a severity 4 test do you spend 4 morale symbols/panic tokens to initiate the test? If so do you draw 4 cards?

Or do you spend 3 symbols/tokens  to initiate the test and then spend another if necessary to resolve a card once the 3 cards have been revealed? I think this is the correct treatment, which is still a severity 3 test, you just end up spending 4 symbols/tokens on it. 

Edited by Doodlebug

47 minutes ago, Doodlebug said:

Is it possible to trigger a morale test at severity 4?

Looking at Morale Test (53), it seems to me you can do severity 4+ morale tests. Nothing puts a cap on the number of tokens/icons you can spend on a morale test during an attack.

53.2: "During an attack, the severity of a morale test is equal to the number of morale ( ? ) icons and panic tokens spent.
•  Panic tokens are spent before cards are drawn."

48 minutes ago, Doodlebug said:

If you are able to trigger a severity 4 test do you spend 4 morale symbols/panic tokens to initiate the test? If so do you draw 4 cards?

Yes, because you draw cards equal to the severity of the test. Then you choose to resolve any one card that has a number of morale icons equal to or less than the severity of the test.

53.1 "When a unit suffers a morale test, that unit’s opponent draws a number of cards from the morale deck equal to the severity specified by the game effect that caused the test. Then, 
he chooses one of the drawn cards and resolves its effects."

55.3 "Only morale cards showing a number of morale icons equal to or lower than the severity of the morale test can be resolved."

Thanks mate. Normally I would look up the rules, but was at work ...reading the forums... I thought there was a limit of 3 for some reason. So playing against Waiqar it is good to hold out till you can make that severity 4 test. 

31 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I hope nobody is offended by thecrules quotations. It's as much for future lurkers as it is for the one asking the question.

With as much difference as the exact wording of a rule can make, I always find it makes it much easier to discuss the rules if they get quoted in the thread. 

Yes. I had to look up the exact same thing last night. :)

The entry for Panic under banes (12.1) has text that indicates that panic tokens can always been spent to increase the severity of the test.

"When a unit that has a panic token suffers a morale test, that token can be spent to increase the severity by one. Alternatively, when that unit is the defender of an attack, that token can be spent to cause the unit to suffer a morale test with a severity equal to the number of panic tokens and morale ( ? ) icons spent." [emphasis added.]

So when 65.3 says, "After an attacker performs a ranged attack against an enemy that is engaged with one or more of the attacker’s allied units, each of those allied units suffers a severity-one morale test," and mentions severity-1, that just sets the base for the test. It's like defining how many morale icons came up on the dice.