Over the last few weeks, I've cooled on this game since I tried a quick "solo" game to try out the mechanics and it was a hot mess.  But now, seeing all the awesome card interactions, I can't wait to get home and print me a Crane deck!  The synergies between all the cards are certainly going to give you a lot more focus as to what to do, which was the big problem with my "solo" game.

Way of the Crane; guaranteed 3 of?

"The effects of duels can be powerful, while Kakita Kaezin can remove all characters not involved in the duel from a conflict, Duelist Training (Core Set, 142) allows any of your characters to challenge foes to a duel, with the loser becoming bowed. This can be the perfect way to remove a threat before they attack your province. "

Displayed: Two cards who's actions can only be taken during a conflict if the given characters are already participating.

It's nice to see that FFG is 5 for 5 on having glaring mistakes in their hype articles.

5 minutes ago, Doji Tori said:

I didn't think we would see bushido virtues as keywords, but I really like it and want to see more, although I would expect courtesy rather than sincerity to show up in the Crane spotlight.

If they include all virtues as keywords, then they definitely know what to do with this player community.

It is quite soon, but it seems to me they are getting bullseye on every shot.

Here's an interesting scenario.  Lets say its a Political conflict and your opponent has the otomo courtier involved and you have kakita kaezin.  You duel the courtier who can't win no matter what due to her - military skill and then send everyone else he has home

2 minutes ago, JRosen9 said:

Here's an interesting scenario.  Lets say its a Political conflict and your opponent has the otomo courtier involved and you have kakita kaezin.  You duel the courtier who can't win no matter what due to her - military skill and then send everyone else he has home

The opponent picks their participant in Kaezin's duel.  I think he'll often end up facing the opponent's best character.  He seems pretty mediocre, honestly.

7 minutes ago, williamobrien said:

The opponent picks their participant in Kaezin's duel.  I think he'll often end up facing the opponent's best character.  He seems pretty mediocre, honestly.

Particularly with only 2 political skill.

EDIT:  My bad, it's military skill, not political.

Edited by Casanunda
Whoops

6 minutes ago, JRosen9 said:

Read Kakita Kaezin again.  Your opponent decides who participates in his duel.

2 minutes ago, Mig el Pig said:

So far not a single dynasty card has an influence cost I think.

Sounds like they will be limited to the conflict deck, yeah. Not only is it good for flavor, but it's way easier to flip through a single deck to determine if its influence usage is legal than two separate decks.

Edited by Ide Yoshiya
Screw this phone, seriously.

12 minutes ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

At the same time high glory characters are extremely vulnerable to cards that dishonor them. Hotaru might be a 6/9 when honored, but she ends up being a 0/3 when dishonored.

Agreed, but if you build your deck around the honoring theme, you will enjoy it almost all your games.

And you will face dishonoring much less frequently...

52 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I know it's a small obvious thing, but I'm happy there is no influence on the clan champion.

Why would there be? Influence is only spendable on conflict cards. Clan Champion is dynasty.

21 minutes ago, JRosen9 said:

Your opponent chooses whom Kaezin is dueling. If your opponent put the Otomo Courtier solo up against Kakita Kaezin, that's their own **** fault.

24 minutes ago, williamobrien said:

Honor him (not tough to do for Crane, as we've seen). He's now 5M.

Drop a free Fine Katana on him. He's now 7M.

He seems perfectly fine.

ETA: He's a duelist whose win condition is sending an *entire army home* (less one character). And people are complaining that he has a bit of set up cost? (A bit, in this case, meaning a zero-cost conflict card, plus optionally honoring him).

Edited by Gaffa

18 minutes ago, Suzume Tomonori said:

Dueling doesn't really seem that good at the moment. Maybe its utility will become more apparent in actually play? At the moment I don't think I would dread to see a duel on the board.

Depends on how you read the effects.

Kaezin is pay me honor or send everyone but the duelists home and he's likely a 5/4.

Duelist Training is Bow your character or pay me Honor/discard cards to bow my character.

11 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Crane previews before Crab previews? : /

Crab is very bad clans to preview first as they are not one of the traditional Samurai styles.

Crane and the Lion, on the other hand, do fit the traditional styles so when you want to introduce people to a Samurai game you should start with the most familiar styles before introducing the more offbeat Clans.

9 minutes ago, Yogo Gohei said:

"The effects of duels can be powerful, while Kakita Kaezin can remove all characters not involved in the duel from a conflict, Duelist Training (Core Set, 142) allows any of your characters to challenge foes to a duel, with the loser becoming bowed. This can be the perfect way to remove a threat before they attack your province. "

Displayed: Two cards who's actions can only be taken during a conflict if the given characters are already participating.

It's nice to see that FFG is 5 for 5 on having glaring mistakes in their hype articles.

Unless they consider "the attack" the resolution after all actions in the conflict have taken place.

1 minute ago, williamobrien said:

A 7/4 (Honored Kaezin with a Fine Katana) is hardly mediocre especially considering he is anti-swarm.

42 minutes ago, slowreflex said:

Hmm... From the article last week I wouldn't have guessed Doji Hotaru would have such an high Political value.  She seemed like an emotional teenager in the second half.  Maybe I'm not understanding politics right?

>Acts like emotional teenager.

>Good at politics.

Nope, you understand it perfectly fine.

26 minutes ago, williamobrien said:

You are correct .... I'm so used to the duel player choosing both participants I misread

12 minutes ago, Gaffa said:

Honor him (not tough to do for Crane, as we've seen). He's now 5M.

Drop a free Fine Katana on him. He's now 7M.

He seems perfectly fine.

Your opponent can do similar buffs to their guys.  Cards need to be judged by multiple scenarios, not just their best case. 

Even pumped up, due to the nature of the fate mechanic, most battles will probably be 1-3 guys per side.  If you use Kaezin against 1 character, he's blank.  Against two characters, he'll send the weaker one home.  With 3 or higher opposing characters, he starts to get good.  Good enough to outweigh how mediocre he is in other battles?

Crane is better off investing in the Asahina Storyteller or Doji Hotaru as their big ticket items.

Edit: Also, he's not sending them home bowed.  All those guys can participate in later challenges.

Edited by williamobrien
More details