turkishvancat

0-0-0 and On the Lam

6 posts in this topic

This question came up on another forum and I wanted to hear from the broader IA community:

Say 0-0-0 attacks Vinto, and Vinto plays On the Lam. Can 0-0-0 spend a surge to stun Vinto (after his move of course)? I think that yes, this does work, because all steps of the attack are resolved after On the Lam, including spending surges. Is this correct?

And on a similar note, the rules section in Jabba's Realm only states that "During an attack, if a figure ends its movement such that the attacker no longer has line of sight to the target, the attack misses". Does that mean that a melee attack will still hit after On the Lam, provided Vinto is still within line of sight of the attacker?

I think you're right that Vinto would still be stunned. The stun obviously occurs if the attack misses (the effect requires the attack to miss), so the attack missing for some other reason should not change that.

Posted (edited)

Shocking Palm gives the Stunned condition directly (instead of using the Stun condition keyword), so it does not need that the target suffered damage from the attack, so even if the attack misses due to On the Lam (or Shocking Palm itself), Vinto is Stunned.

Edited by a1bert

Would that make the attack immediately miss, i.e. cancel the whole attack without moving on to the Spend Surges step, or would you still get to spend Triple Zero's surges anyway?

Posted (edited)

Check miss from the RRG. Miss causes the target to suffer 0 damage, it does not abort or cancel the attack. The attack steps are still performed.

An attack will miss if there's an uncancelled dodge or insufficient accuracy, or the target is no longer in line of sight (or adjacent for melee without reach).

(Before the new rule we assumed the target becoming not eligible would make the attack invalid, and thus the whole attack was cancelled. I think that currently the only case that does cancel the attack is the target becoming defeated by suffering the strain from Relentless.)

Edited by a1bert