cynanbloodbane

IF SWM20 is the SSD...

Does Executor really have any higher density of turbolasers than your regular ISD? Probably not. It's just got a lot more surface area to put them on. I wouldn't demand any more base firepower out of an SSD's front arc than an ISD. But it should be able to do unique things. Enormous hull value, 6 shields, and so many upgrade slots it needs a second card to fit them all. And some mean Epic-only upgrades that let it fly like its a fleet unto itself.

2 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

Prob would buy it if it they didnt sell it at the same cost as a "epic" x-wing model....I really dont wanna spend over 50 dollars for a ship

I'm willing to go as high as $200, assuming the model is beautiful, regardless of how well the Epic Rules play. Now, if the Epic rules set turns out to be awesome, well then FFG will really be able to squeeze me.

3 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

Prob would buy it if it they didnt sell it at the same cost as a "epic" x-wing model....I really dont wanna spend over 50 dollars for a ship

If they come out with a Raider-sized or larger SSD model at that detail level, it's going to be at least the same cost as the  X-Wing Raider.  That said, you'll probably be able to find it for sale elsewhere if you're really against paying that much.

Insofar as paying $50 for a ship, I'd rather spend $85 for one ship that I'm happy to own than $50 for two ships that I may only use one of now or in the future.

There is no way they will have a $200 ship. The thing would have to be as big as the table.  They will stick with what they have done. About the same size as an xwings raider.  Maybe a little bigger. No more than $100. Any more and a lot of people that want it won't be able to afford it.  I admire your dedication but at $200 it would be the first ship I will never own for armada.

10 hours ago, idiewell said:

The SSD has 5,000 turbolasers and ion cannons compared to the ISD's 130+, so yes it has a LOT more firepower to throw at Rebel ships.

You have to consider range also. As big as the SSD is the turbo lasers at the back of the ship can't hit anything at the middle of the ship let alone the front. So yes 5000 but only a group in an area of the ship can Target a specific enemy.

I think it will have more fire arcs with 5 to 10, maybe 12, dice in each except the rear arc.

Edited by Rune Taq

What if the there never was a SSD release? Would these threads eventually stop? 

Probably not. Dreamers will dream and the Executor will remain just out of reach. 

Just a what If, because these what If threads Never Happen... like not by the same people. Ever! It doesn't seem desperate at all. Just a what If. And that's a capital I in If.

(Seriously guys, we have several dozen threads on the SSD and mostly by the same people over and over. Why? I mean just why?)

Edited by Beatty

30 minutes ago, Beatty said:

Probably not. Dreamers will dream and the Executor will remain just out of reach. 

Just a what If, because these what If threads Never Happen... like not by the same people. Ever! It doesn't seem desperate at all. Just a what If. And that's a capital I in If.

(Seriously guys, we have several dozen threads on the SSD and mostly by the same people over and over. Why? I mean just why?)

They're hoping to replay Endor and not lose the SSD like a bunch of noobs. That's right, I'm calling out the Imperial commanders!

30 minutes ago, Beatty said:

Hey man, don't ruin this for me. This is my first SSD thread that I've read. And I can stop whenever I want. Just leave me a lone, I don't have a problem.

(Returns to his closet shrine of every SSD model and toy he could ever find. "It's ok Lego SSD he didn't mean it"?

If FFG felt that adding a Super Star Destroyer to Armada was financially wise, practical, and cohesive with the game's design...

And if SWM20 was that SSD...

And if its delay up until now is due to extensive playtesting...

And if FFG wisely decided to coincide its release with the holiday shopping season and release of a new film...

None of which I endorse or agree with as realistic...

Then a Q2 announcement, on the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, would make sense.

I disagree with your conclusion.

They've already done their 40th Anniversary of Star Wars "Release".  It coincides with 5 Years of Star Wars: X-Wing, so they got an extra special card and the advice to go have special tournaments with it in their Store championship Kit...  Done.  FFG's anniversary celebrations concluded.

But specifically:

A Q2 announcement on the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars, is FAR too early for ALL of FFG's timeframes, if you're expecting a Holiday Shopping Season / December Movie Release window.

There;s absolutely no need to have MORE THAN SIX MONTHS go by with it sitting there...  You want to Generate Hype, you don't want people to get bored of waiting..

3 hours ago, Beatty said:

Why do you feel the need to show up to every SSD thread just to spit in people's cereal? Some people like talking about it. Let them. You don't have to participate. The OP was exceedingly clear in the first post.

1 hour ago, NewTroski said:

Why do you feel the need to show up to every SSD thread just to spit in people's cereal? Some people like talking about it. Let them. You don't have to participate. The OP was exceedingly clear in the first post.

Why do the same people make posts about something over and over? I guess because I was here at the beginning and I was fully involved in the large SSD thread and we hashed through it all. And that tread was started to stop the 3+ threads a week on SSD theories. It's an old topic played out to death. 

So I find the fact that new threads appear every time the last one leaves the first page annoying and it's like a train wreck. And it's the same people making the posts.

So I know the real intention has nothing to do with actual discussion at all, it's only brought up again and again because of the rumor that if a subject is brought up enough times on the forums FFG caves in and gives into the loudest voices. It a false rumor but I know these threads are only brought up again and again like a child who thinks if they beg long enough their parents will give in. And I Do Not Want A Sloppy Shotty Model With Game Breaking Rules Just To Make A Loud Minority Happy! That has always been my position and will remain so in every single SSD thread till they stop for an extended period of time. Like take 6 months off.

So if the threads continue I will be keeping it real with the counter arguments. If the threads stop I stop. I never started a thread on SSD's ever so I'm not the one keeping this discussion going, I'm just saying things the pro-SSD crowd hates. 

Edited by Beatty

3 minutes ago, Beatty said:

Why do the same people make posts about something over and over? I guess because I was here at the beginning and I was fully involved in the large SSD thread and we hashed through it all. And that tread was started to stop the 3+ threads a week on SSD theories. It's an old topic played out to death. 

So I find the fact that new threads appear every time the last one leaves the first page annoying and it's like a train wreck. And it's the same people making the posts.

So I know the real intention has nothing to do with actual discussion at all, it's only brought up again and again because of the rumor that if a subject is brought up enough times on the forums FFG caves in and gives into the loudest voices. It a false rumor but I know these threads are only brought up again and again like a child who thinks if they beg long enough their parents will give in. And I Do Not Want A Sloppy Shotty Model With Game Breaking Rules Just To Make A Loud Minority Happy! That has always been my position and will remain so in every single SSD thread till they stop for an extended period of time. Like take 6 months off.

So if the threads continue I will be keeping it real with the counter arguments. If the threads stop I stop. I never started a thread on SSD's ever so I'm not the one keeping this discussion going, I'm just saying things the pro-SSD crowd hates. 

The subject line and the original post are perfectly clear. It is a hypothetical that people want to talk about. You didn't have to click on the thread, and you didn't have to insult everyone and call them whiny children. You've basically admitted that you're intentionally trolling just to be a jerk.

The thread is an attempt to continue the pining for the SSD, and you know it. You want all Nay Sayers silenced. I get that but this topic has been posted at least 4 times! This is not a new thread at all! 

I dont buy the innocent we're just talking line. The whole forum has become a place to make Wishlists and Demands for Rules Changes. It's threads like this that makes me realize the community is a bubble community only interested in hearing the same opinions. I won't be around for much longer if the community keeps this up. 

On 5/23/2017 at 10:11 AM, Darth Sanguis said:

If we ever get one it will likely be part of an objective, or maybe a cardboard token that lies along the players edge. 

Simple fact here is FFG would have to absolutely murder the scale to make an SSD function on a 3'x6' anything less than 2 feet long would be too close to the ISD, anything over 2' long could become very difficult actually play.... 

Down you own an X wing Raider? put it on your table, and ask yourself if it's really that unacceptable.

6 hours ago, Beatty said:

It must really suck to have a broken browser that opens up SSD threads for you and then acts as a captive portal until you post something.

20 minutes ago, FourDogsInaHorseSuit said:

Down you own an X wing Raider? put it on your table, and ask yourself if it's really that unacceptable.

I've seen them I'm aware of their size, definitely not appropriately sized compared to the ISD.... 

I'd buy the hell out of one, but I still think it's wrong to hurt the scale that bad and fairly unlikely to happen dude to the inherent weaknesses an XL ship would have

1 hour ago, Beatty said:

The thread is an attempt to continue the pining for the SSD, and you know it. You want all Nay Sayers silenced. I get that but this topic has been posted at least 4 times! This is not a new thread at all! 

I dont buy the innocent we're just talking line. The whole forum has become a place to make Wishlists and Demands for Rules Changes. It's threads like this that makes me realize the community is a bubble community only interested in hearing the same opinions. I won't be around for much longer if the community keeps this up. 

While, yes I am still pining for an SSD, the intent of the thread was to discuss the most likely, or preferred method of release by FFG. While I do believe the SSD in Armada is a foregone conclusion, I am well aware of your opposition and the possibility that I am wrong. That doesn't mean I want you silenced. I rather enjoy discussing a potential SSD for Armada, including your more eloquent dissenting opinions. In short, I am not tired of the conversation, but it is hard enough to keep a thread on topic for 3 pages, let alone 50, so people start new posts on the same topic. 

So, the most likely, or preferred method of release by FFG, not mechanics, scale, or likelihood it will really happen. Left full rudder back on topic.

2 hours ago, Beatty said:

Dude you know this is a game right. It's all good we can talk about what we want. There are new people coming here all the time. I have never discussed SSD until this thread. I enjoy the discussion and theorizing. If you don't like it don't comment or read it.  Seriously dude there are 250+ threads. Go find one you like and comment there. 

1 hour ago, cynanbloodbane said:

While, yes I am still pining for an SSD, the intent of the thread was to discuss the most likely, or preferred method of release by FFG. While I do believe the SSD in Armada is a foregone conclusion, I am well aware of your opposition and the possibility that I am wrong. That doesn't mean I want you silenced. I rather enjoy discussing a potential SSD for Armada, including your more eloquent dissenting opinions. In short, I am not tired of the conversation, but it is hard enough to keep a thread on topic for 3 pages, let alone 50, so people start new posts on the same topic. 

So, the most likely, or preferred method of release by FFG, not mechanics, scale, or likelihood it will really happen. Left full rudder back on topic.

I think it may still be early for a SSD. Maybe next year. But the mystery of the SWM20 is interesting. 

7 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

They've already done their 40th Anniversary of Star Wars "Release".  It coincides with 5 Years of Star Wars: X-Wing, so they got an extra special card and the advice to go have special tournaments with it in their Store championship Kit...  Done.  FFG's anniversary celebrations concluded.

starwarsdarthvadernoooooo.jpg

7 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

There;s absolutely no need to have MORE THAN SIX MONTHS go by with it sitting there...  You want to Generate Hype, you don't want people to get bored of waiting..

Not that I disagree with the overall conclusion, but this reasoning is flawed. Intentions and thought-processes only have some relationship with behavioral outcomes. FFG has a history of giving us a taste of something we want, and then sitting on it.

From the X-Wing wiki:

• X-Wing Core Set                                          (Announced August 2, 2011 / Released September 14, 2012)
  • Tantive IV Expansion Pack                (Announced August 20, 2013 / Released May 22, 2014)
  • Starfield Game Tile Kit                     (Announced April 15, 2013 / Cancelled)
  • Imperial Veterans Expansion Pack(Announced December 14, 2015 / Released June 30, 2016)
  • Wave 8                                                                    (Announced July 31, 2015 / Released March 17, 2016)

From the Armada wiki:

Not that I disagree with benign intentions on FFG's part, but not everything is under their control.