Velvetelvis

How do I use jumpmasters without feeling like a dirty street urchin?

21 minutes ago, TheHumanHydra said:

Friends, for the love of goodness, just talk to your opponents before you play about what kind of game experience you want to have. 'Let's avoid meta lists' and 'let's play competitive squads' are both valid answers*. If you really can't agree, or find enjoyment in the other person's style, hopefully there will be another individual to have a game with. :) 

* Or 'let's play competitive squads, but ban Jumpmasters,' or whatever.

yeah,  I used to believe in humanity.  I don't anymore. You say to people in the group, let's meet for a friendly casual game.  They bring Fenn Rau, Jumps, Attanni lists, Paratanni whatever and spend the rest of the game complaining about other people calling them OP and trying to argue that their stuff isnt the most powerful stuff in the game at the moment while crushing the field against obviously chosen jank lists intended for the agreement of friendly casual.   

No. I have no sympathy for power-gamers

33 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

yeah,  I used to believe in humanity.  I don't anymore. You say to people in the group, let's meet for a friendly casual game.  They bring Fenn Rau, Jumps, Attanni lists, Paratanni whatever and spend the rest of the game complaining about other people calling them OP and trying to argue that their stuff isnt the most powerful stuff in the game at the moment while crushing the field against obviously chosen jank lists intended for the agreement of friendly casual.   

I mean, there are obviously still obnoxious people, but that's a separate issue from whether 'competitive' gaming or flying specific ships are okay in a general sense. It's not that power-gamers are bad people, it's that your specific playmates either misunderstood or deliberately ignored you (which would be unfortunate).

A professor of mine once said that the reason [academics] disagree is because we're not asking the same questions. If we asked precise enough questions, we couldn't not agree given the same information. Likewise, I think if you talk enough you will be able to figure out what each person wants from the game (and you may of course find that your wants aren't compatible).

I'm imagining a conversation:

1 -- 'Let's meet for a friendly, casual game.'

2 -- 'Sure.' Great, no pressure, I can fly my Fenn Boats without prizes on the line.

1 -- 'I'm thinking of playing a Headhunter swarm.'

2 -- ... O-o-o-o-oh. 'Uh, yeah, I guess I'll dust off my T-65s!' Dang, I really love my Rau Boats ... 'Hey, would you be up for a tourney practice game after? I'm just lovin' this new list ...'

1 -- 'Ah, actually, I'm kind of burned out of the tournament meta right now. That's why I wanted to put the friendly game night together.'

2 -- 'Sure, no problem. I'll catch [3] next Tuesday to get some more practice in. See ya tomorrow night!'

Of course, we could insert some more nefarious thoughts for Player no. 2; we can't prevent him from being a poor sport, but if he's anything like a reasonable person we'll have both found out what we'd like from the game and will be able to play (or choose not to play) on that basis.

Edited by TheHumanHydra

5 hours ago, Vargas79 said:

Do something unique with them. Some guy at worlds ran triple scouts with trickshot and rigged cargo chutes and did pretty well.

Dude, thats the F*cking point! You can do anything with the toilet seat, but the frame is so under-costed over powered that it still kicks ***! You cant go wrong with the stupid things

1 hour ago, DarthCognis said:

Dude, thats the F*cking point! You can do anything with the toilet seat, but the frame is so under-costed over powered that it still kicks ***! You cant go wrong with the stupid things

Errr okay....

7 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Sometimes you do just want a go at a list, though. I've run boats in casual games with netlist setups just to get a feel for how they operate. I have no desire to play those lists in a tournament, nor do I have any particular desire to wipe the board in a casual game, but those no-pressure games are often the best times to just screw about with something that's in the meta to get an idea on how to deal with it when you do face it. My regular sparring partner has hit against some of these lists in the past, but I'll always give a heads up that I'm going to run something like that. 
It's not always something you do because you're a try-hard, but rather that casual games are a perfect time to experiment or learn.

1 hour ago, NakedDex said:

Sometimes you do just want a go at a list, though. I've run boats in casual games with netlist setups just to get a feel for how they operate. I have no desire to play those lists in a tournament, nor do I have any particular desire to wipe the board in a casual game, but those no-pressure games are often the best times to just screw about with something that's in the meta to get an idea on how to deal with it when you do face it. My regular sparring partner has hit against some of these lists in the past, but I'll always give a heads up that I'm going to run something like that. 
It's not always something you do because you're a try-hard, but rather that casual games are a perfect time to experiment or learn.

That's against a friend you have an understanding with. Not against someone new who requested casual specifically. Difference 

Oh I know there's a difference, but even in a casual game against in a store, I'll often have a few lists with me. Sometimes, one is actually competitive, and I'm looking for different opponents/builds to try it against to refine it. I'm not necessarily looking to win a casual game, but variety in opponents is as important as variety in lists.

Now, that said, I'm not going to wander in with uber meta lists and seek out the newbie running Luke and a Hwk, but casual games don't necessarily imply people aren't trying or learning, nor do they imply all lists being run are pure jank or running Fel's Wrath.

Whatever it is you have in mind, try it! If you think it's on the strong side, just let your opponent know. A simple 'hey, my list is nasty so you should bring something tough too' will do, in my experience.

19 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

To be honest, I have no sympathy for intentional losers either. Indeed, those list you mentioned are power lists, no doubt about that. And if someone brings to such a friendly, casual game than 4 expose TIE-Fighters with shield upgrades I would be still either shocked or **** pissed. 
Friendly casual game does not equal goofing around with your lists. 

I have no problem to fly against my own list or switch to something different if my opponent is not in the mood for my usual Old Man Rau, but I most certainly am not in the mood to get trolled by intentional bad list building by my game partner either, just because it is a friendly game. If this is based on inexperience, sure, I adjust my list, usually by playing something new and yet unproven or by talking about list building and testing out that list with my game partner. But you most certainly make it sound like the agreement for a friendly casual game means to bring bad lists. That is some absurd assumption. Casual friday does not mean unshaven, unshowered, stinky and sticky look either. ;-)

A casual friendly game is for me most certainly a game without the rigid restriction of formal tournament play, and most importantly having fun together. Testing out stuff is part of the fun, but so is training for tournaments as well. If you have something specific in mind, you need to be more specific in your communication.