Velvetelvis

How do I use jumpmasters without feeling like a dirty street urchin?

5 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

Like the ship or loathe it, it always tickles me when someone gets this upset over the backstory of a fictional space ship represented by a plastic toy.

I fly them because, not being a star wars fan at all, I have no emotional attachment to any ship.

This is why you fail.

1 hour ago, Velvetelvis said:

...I feel itchy. And I can't quite wash away the smell.

It's the design man....

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

There's a reason they are called toilet seats.

Just wrap a roll of TP around your head and go with it.

Good advice.

1 hour ago, Zazaa said:

Just be jerk and play it! Don't let nerfs get in to your head!

Yeah, when you play OP that's resistant to FFG, you have to admit it openly, embrace it and beat your friends brains in with it....with unabashed shame and deplorableness. 

"Another way, there is not." -Yoda

1 hour ago, NakedDex said:

Don't take ordnance would be one. Avoid Dengaroo. Champion Tel. Be inventive?

If you take out the Fenn and 2x torpedo boats because you want to, go ahead. It's high meta, so some people may not be super happy about it, but they should expect to see it at this stage.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean you have to avoid it. If anything, playing it is the best way to learn how to defeat it. I rather enjoy flying Jumps as a whole, and have done since release. I've always run them with odd builds, often to the confusion of opponents. You can always take the concept or the ship, and just put your own twist on it. Make it your own.

Overall, to hell with meta stigmas. Play what you enjoy. It's a game; never lose sight of that.

Put in Palob instead of Fenn for some 'less meta' flare. Or if you want just 1 Jumper try this.

Dengar

Rage

Inspiring Recruit 

Title

Fenn Rau

PTL

Autothrusters 

Title

Jakku Gunrunner 

Tractor Array

Pattern Analyzer 

100pts

Not really top tier but it can hold its own. Beware the tugboat most underestimate it but it ends up the MVP in about 70% of my games.

1 hour ago, DarthCognis said:

Because when you decide to play with an inherit advantage over your friends its dishonest and pathetic. Here is the truth, pretty much anything thats not a J5000 list is inherently worth more point value anything else. Its not in the movies like a Tie fighter, nobody has any nostalgic memories flying it in a popular videogame like th Scuurg in Jedi Starfighter. The only reason to fly that ugly terrible sentient rights violation is because you want to win more than you want to be fair.

Please fly 2 Torpmasters for this guy here (:

20 minutes ago, Sixter said:

I guess they better nerf the Jumpmaster if people dont feel comfortable playing them, yet have to risk facing them themselves.

Or at least nerf mindlink-R4 combo.

I play Manaroo and two aces. Feels awesome, and everyone told me that old man rau would be bad and Palpatine would be so much better than Manaroo. And now they even nerfed my beloved manaroo to the ground, so I have even less reasons to feel bad when using her. 

10 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

I'm testing a few things looking for something that I can take out on the town.

I think I'm finally ready to put away my beloved defenders and run some fenn rau. I'll be tinkering with a couple torp scouts with him.

But...I feel itchy. And I can't quite wash away the smell.

So; here's the thing. So long as it's a legal build; stop caring. Go play and you'll enjoy it. Then you can step back and think; all that self angst over the perception people will judge me that led to my preemptive self judging was pointless. Spaceships are pretty cool.

I'd built my own version of Rau Boats with a little less punch traded out for more token shenanigans. I flew it for the first time at an SC on Sunday and went 3-1 with it, netting third. Point is; it was a great fun list to fly and I learnt a lot about the list. Second place was a 3x T-70 list and first was Torkil and 2 torp boats.

Play what you want and enjoy it. It's only a game.

9 hours ago, DarthCognis said:

Because when you decide to play with an inherit advantage over your friends its dishonest and pathetic. Here is the truth, pretty much anything thats not a J5000 list is inherently worth more point value anything else. Its not in the movies like a Tie fighter, nobody has any nostalgic memories flying it in a popular videogame like th Scuurg in Jedi Starfighter. The only reason to fly that ugly terrible sentient rights violation is because you want to win more than you want to be fair.

I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or a fine example of the toxicity that's been leaking in to the forums for a while now...

I have a reason to fly it. It goes as follows;

I like X-Wing. I just bought  Jumpmaster on the release day of wave 8 and I want to play with my toys. 

Here's another;

That was fun. I'm going to play again. I like X-Wing.

Here's another;

This squad's really fun. **** I like X-Wing.

One final reason;

I don't care about group whinge phenomenons. I'm going to keep playing a list I enjoy. It's all just toy spaceships based on a fictional universe and you know what? I like X-Wing.

I love flying Tel with Hull Upgrade, Gonk, R5P9, Title, and Determination. He. Never. Dies. It is quite anti-meta, and with only one action per turn people aren't likely to whinge at you too much. Add in crew to taste, and you have a JM5K what won't make you feel too itchy.

Edited by Gersun

It's the most efficient ship in the game, and it's been the meta ever since it arrived. I mean, run two or three of them if you want, but don't be under any illusions that you aren't playing at an advantage against your opponent. At a tournament, that's fair enough (I suppose?). With friends, well, it depends on the friend really, doesn't it?

The ship is like a plague of locusts, nibbling away the biodiversity of the game. But sure, yeah, play it and have fun! Be the homogeneity you want to see! :D

3 hours ago, Smutpedler said:

I'd built my own version of Rau Boats with a little less punch traded out for more token shenanigans. I flew it for the first time at an SC on Sunday and went 3-1 with it, netting third. Point is; it was a great fun list to fly and I learnt a lot about the list. Second place was a 3x T-70 list and first was Torkil and 2 torp boats.

You forgot about the mighty Han and Luke build that came 4th! (and would have laid waste to your ****boats had we been matched against each other) ;)

I only ever put 1 Jumpmaster on the table at any one time (I only have one, but that's beside the point!)

Much like the Falcon and the Outrider there's only one way to play this ship and that's to put about 60 points into Dengar and fly it alongside a little ship (if you're super cool you'll pick Guri :) )