Mattman7306

TIE Aggressor Article

8 minutes ago, DarkArk said:

Actually, at one point it's literally useless compared to wired because you need two copies of it to work at all. Which also means it is useless when you only have one ship left, very unlike PtL. 

And it's only better than PtL if you want one of your actions to be a focus, which isn't always a given. Mindlink has never been the problem with Scum, it's been their ridiculously points efficient ships.

Bartender, I'll have what he's having.

The efficiency and synergy is WAY too strong between the pilot abilities, the threat coverage and how much the upgrades forgive any sort of mistake - Fenn, Asajj, Dengar - are all way better than their equivalent of the other factions, they have no penalty too, only powerful bonuses and synergy with scum-only upgrades. K4 and Mindlink are just too good, Asajj's ability should never have been given to this kind of ship.

Edited by Kalandros

I will never ever ever understand FFGs costing methods for mid PS ships. You can take Double Edge, who has  a killer ability, and give him adaptability, meaning he is the same cost and PS as an Onyx, which, by the way, has NO EPT AND NO ABILITY. That's just stupid. There is zero reason (quite literally NO REASON) to ever take an Onyx unless you are wanting to take 2 of them, in which case you take Double Edge with Adaptability and an Onyx.

FFG continues to value mid PS waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. At best, a PS boost of 1 between PS values of 3 to 6 is worth .5 points, but I would say less than that after you get to 3, as 4 through 6 are largely PS dead zones. They are valuing a PS boost of one as being worth an elite slot (which, as proven by adaptability, is more valuable than 1 PS on its own), and a gunner-like pilot ability. In return, you get to run multiple of the ship (hurray...).

You know what makes this fair though? Giving the dang ship an elite. At least you can say that the Double Edge's ability equates to 1 more PS and the ability to spam the ship. As it is now though? Nope, Double Edge is always better.

Other Mid PS fiascos by FFG-

-Black Squadron Scout costing the same as Countdown at -1 PS (although at least they have an elite)

-Every named pilot not named Biggs or Wampa that pilots a ship that has some pilots with Elites, that does not have one themselves

-Baron of the Empire costing 3 more points over the Sienar Test Pilot for 2 PS and an Elite (should have only been +2 points)

-Every mid PS generic that pays 2 points for 2 PS and does not get an elite.

Edited by Kdubb

48 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

I will never ever ever understand FFGs costing methods for mid PS ships. You can take Double Edge, who has  a killer ability, and give him adaptability, meaning he is the same cost and PS as an Onyx, which, by the way, has NO EPT AND NO ABILITY. That's just stupid. There is zero reason (quite literally NO REASON) to ever take an Onyx unless you are wanting to take 2 of them, in which case you take Double Edge with Adaptability and an Onyx.

FFG continues to value mid PS waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. At best, a PS boost of 1 between PS values of 3 to 6 is worth .5 points, but I would say less than that after you get to 3, as 4 through 6 are largely PS dead zones. They are valuing a PS boost of one as being worth an elite slot (which, as proven by adaptability, is more valuable than 1 PS on its own), and a gunner-like pilot ability. In return, you get to run multiple of the ship (hurray...).

You know what makes this fair though? Giving the dang ship an elite. At least you can say that the Double Edge's ability equates to 1 more PS and the ability to spam the ship. As it is now though? Nope, Double Edge is always better.

Other Mid PS fiascos by FFG-

-Black Squadron Scout costing the same as Countdown at -1 PS (although at least they have an elite)

-Every named pilot not named Biggs or Wampa that pilots a ship that has some pilots with Elites, that does not have one themselves

-Baron of the Empire costing 3 more points over the Sienar Test Pilot for 2 PS and an Elite (should have only been +2 points)

-Every mid PS generic that pays 2 points for 2 PS and does not get an elite.

It is clear in my opinion, that FFG intends the named pilots to be hands over superior too generics. I think the desighn goal of FFG is for you to fly a diverse range of ships by always flying the "best" pilots from each ship. This way, all ships still get sales. 

Imagine this, without Pilot abilities, poeple would just spam the 3 or 4 most efficient frames from each faction, even less! With intentionally above the power curve abilities, even subpar frames can still see play by having at least one pilot who is worth a damm. Like the Tie Advanced (or Darth Vader Expansion because who else would a sane person fly?) or the Prototype (AKA the Inquisitor and some extra cardboard with pretty art as a bonus) 

This way, poeple still buy at least one of nearly every ship for the #1 best pilot in that ship who is above the power curve, even if the frame itself it shite.

4 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

I hope you're being sarcastic, but it's also very hard to tell. 

Weell there is that one Imperial only crew card that came with Decimator, what was she called again? I don't know no one ever uses her.;)

4 hours ago, nigeltastic said:

Wat.

I realize being pessimistic is chic on the forums but I'm honestly impressed.

The first point is just blatantly false, see coordinate, fleet officer, and general hux to start. The second point is maybe the most pessimistic way I've ever seen an upgrade described. Yup a focus loan is an accurate way to describe an ept which allows you to take a focus or evade token after doing repositioning and is reactivated by spending an unused token later. Also reasonable is the arbitrary suggestion that the average cost of an ept is 1. I would love to see support for that statement (looks more like 2 to my math of taking a literal average).

I mean guys, I know being excited for new releases is less fun than complaining about the state of the game but please.

State of the game is not the best for Imperials. I would be more excited if the article had a dial so we could see what exactly we are getting.

1 minute ago, VanderLegion said:

Decimator came with 4 crew, all imperial only, All of which have seen use at various times. 

Yeah but I'm trying to think of a build where Lt. Kestral would work? I though of snap shot but then again her ability wouldn't work with snap shot anyways unless mindlink was involved. Even with mindlink then you still have to jam in Fleet Officer somewhere on a lower pilot skill ship and yeah. It is just a mess.

9 hours ago, CRCL said:

swx66-intensity.png

This was the most interesting thing in there.

Jake Farrell is angry his pilot ability has become an upgrade, but also happy because shenanigans. Also stress free PTL?! aw yeah!

so with Jake order of actions are:

Boost

Assign focus

Barrel roll + free dial for next turn.

Or add ptl for stress but also can evade/target lock.

Then next turn:

Focus

barrell roll or boost with pilot ability

Survive with focus token, flip intensity.

Vader is also going to enjoy getting a free focus/evade action.

11 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Jake Farrell is angry his pilot ability has become an upgrade, but also happy because shenanigans. Also stress free PTL?! aw yeah!

so with Jake order of actions are:

Boost

Assign focus

Barrel roll + free dial for next turn.

Or add ptl for stress but also can evade/target lock.

You got it backwards.

Focus first, use that to get a free boost or br with jake's abilty.  After you do the boost/br, intensity give syou another free focus token.  Upon receiving that token, get another free boost/br (whichever you didn't do first).

Edited by VanderLegion

17 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

You got it backwards.

Focus first, use that to get a free boost or br with jake's abilty.  After you do the boost/br, intensity give syou another free focus token.  Upon receiving that token, get another free boost/br (whichever you didn't do first).

And then you Push for Evade or TL as appropriate... and then cry as your 2-attack dice primary bounces harmlessly.

21 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

And then you Push for Evade or TL as appropriate... and then cry as your 2-attack dice primary bounces harmlessly.

That's why you Rage man!  2 focus tokens, 2 repositions, 2 modified dice...and 2 stress.  It's so symmetrical!

13 minutes ago, piznit said:

That's why you Rage man!  2 focus tokens, 2 repositions, 2 modified dice...and 2 stress.  It's so symmetrical!

"And again, it's like poetry, it's sort of, they rhyme. Every stanza kind of rhymes with the last one. Hopefully it'll work."

6 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

I disagree to all of the above. Mindlink will still have it's use in 4+ ship lists even if it has a range 1 limit.

At 1 point, it's supposed to be as powerful as Wired, not better than PTL.

Have you seen many 4+ ship lists around in the last let's say year or so? Making something only useful in 4+ ship lists in the current meta equals to making something useless.

1 minute ago, LordBlades said:

Have you seen many 4+ ship lists around in the last let's say year or so? Making something only useful in 4+ ship lists in the current meta equals to making something useless.

Pretty sure nerfing mindlink will change the "11 mindlink lists in the top 16" meta.

1 minute ago, Rakaydos said:

Pretty sure nerfing mindlink will change the "11 mindlink lists in the top 16" meta.

Still doesn't change the fact that Scum doesn't have cheap ships to run 4+ ship lists with EPTs. All they have that's really good (Jumpmasters, Lancers and Protectorates is too expensive for that).

Let's do a thought exercise: starting with Inaldra (cheapest EPT ship scum has access to, 14 points with Light Scyk and Attani). This leaves 86 points to fill with 3+ ships. What exactly are you going to put in there that has an EPT and it's competitive?

1 minute ago, LordBlades said:

Still doesn't change the fact that Scum doesn't have cheap ships to run 4+ ship lists with EPTs. All they have that's really good (Jumpmasters, Lancers and Protectorates is too expensive for that).

Let's do a thought exercise: starting with Inaldra (cheapest EPT ship scum has access to, 14 points with Light Scyk and Attani). This leaves 86 points to fill with 3+ ships. What exactly are you going to put in there that has an EPT and it's competitive?

Tansari point vets with Pulse ray shields.

2 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

You could theoretically flip Intensity back the same turn you flipped it if you hang on to the token.

It's almost sort-of kinda like a Comm Relay, but for focus or evade and with a more conditional trigger.

Or if you're Poe.  Poe laughs at the need to spend a focus token to flip intensity.

Throw in BB-8, and he gets evade+focus every turn.  If you pop primed thrusters on, he gets focuses even while stressed.