Sign in to follow this  
Coldhands

Another reason to like Sloane

Im not sure if its been already mentioned, but apart from the obvious, she brings a long forgotten guy back to be considerable admiral: Tagge. It looks like he can undo Sloanes hard work by giving back the lost defense tokens... If Im right, congrats to the devs for releasing an admiral who brings a new playstyle, powerful, yet can be countered by an already existing one who gets his value increased by the new release.

Edited by Coldhands

52 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I actually did make a thread about that. People didn't seem interested or didn't agree.

Sorry man, I missed that one. The credit is yours then.

Walex came to my mind, but his effect/price isnt worth It, but he can be save your ship for a turn. I Think he is Better on admo or Bright Hope lifeboat.

1 minute ago, Coldhands said:

A terrorist officer, who can give back once per game a defense token to a ship, for 5 point.

1 minute ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

Rebel upgrade.  Discard to get a defense token back

Thanks

Possible problem with wallex, definite problem with tagge, is that by the time you get to use those abilities, it may be too late... Devastator or avenger hurling ties at you disabling your brace, followed up by 8-12 xi7 damage is going to kill a lot of ships outright...

On 22.5.2017 at 4:41 PM, Coldhands said:

Im not sure if its been already mentioned, but apart from the obvious, she brings a long forgotten guy back to be considerable admiral: Tagge. It looks like he can undo Sloanes hard work by giving back the lost defense tokens... If Im right, congrats to the devs for releasing an admiral who brings a new playstyle, powerful, yet can be countered by an already existing one who gets his value increased by the new release.

He's still quite limited by his timing. So better, but still meh.

9 minutes ago, Warlord Zepnick said:

They should have just allowed you to pick any two turns to recover a defense token for each ship.

Even just once, but selective, would've made him worth it.

During the Command Phase, you may discard General Tagge.  If you do, each friendly ship may recover 1 of its discarded defense tokens.

That said, I do think tying his ability to particular rounds a la Garm pushes particular engagement profiles, which I think is what they were going for.  It's just not good.

In fact, you could probably generalize this to something like: constraining fleet composition with an admiral is good; constraining in-game tactics with an admiral is not.

1 hour ago, Warlord Zepnick said:

They should have just allowed you to pick any two turns to recover a defense token for each ship.

That would require keeping track of an additional piece of information, which they don't like to add (for good reason).

On the other hand, this wouldn't have introduced any additional burden:

1 hour ago, Ardaedhel said:

During the Command Phase, you may discard General Tagge.  If you do, each friendly ship may recover 1 of its discarded defense tokens.

My proposal would have been:

At the beginning of the command phase, any number of friendly ships may discard one defense token to recover one defense token.

Tagge is effectively once per game. Either engagement is early enough to use him in turn three, or late enough that there are still ships to use him on in turn 5.

Maybe one can build a fleet that uses him to disencouragr engagement and use that for objectives?