Sign in to follow this  
Tk2166

Play mat storage solution

I have two fantasy flight play mats. I'm looking for a storage and carrying solution for them.  Ive seen some people use the document tubes I was wondering if they are large enough for two mats. 

Thanks much!

32 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

You can fit two mats in one document tube provided you roll them up together.

The standard-ish 3" wide tube does work, but...you've got to roll the mats REALLY TIGHT.  It's more annoying than anything, really, as you get them rolled up together, try to put them in...nope, not tight enough.  Unroll them, re-roll them up again, try again...nope, still not tight enough.  Unroll them, etc.  It works, eventually, but it's a headache.

The 4"-wide tubes work a lot better.

Mine stays in the shipping carton it came in from Battle Matz.

Other ideas that could work:

PVC Tubing. Could cap it and drill holes to run 550 cord or bungees for a sling. Hmn... giving myself ideas.
Plus you could also decal it with Rebel and Imperial symbols.

Shipping box from FEDEX or USPS might work as well too.
Just not as durable as PVC.

Just some thoughts.

I just bought a document tube within the last month for two mats to be stored/transported in, after doing some research on them. I bought this tube (only mine is black; I ordered the black tube from that page but the model I received matches the blue one, it doesn't have the same top or handle as the black one pictured). It is decent and does the job; I'm happy with it at that price I guess. The mats have to be rolled a bit tighter than I wish I had to roll. The bottom part of the strap doesn't secure itself in place that well either; there are two notches that are supposed to hold the end of the strap in place but the plastic piece on the strap frequantly slips over the notches and slides up the tube. This wouldn't be too big of an issue except it means the top portion of the tube can telescope outward and separate because there isn't any tension on the strap when carrying it to keep it together. 

A couple things I would suggest when buying one: 1) A 4 inch internal diameter minimum. You don't wanna be sitting there spending a bunch of time rolling them, and then rerolling them because you didn't get them tight enough. 2) Look for a model where the strap is securely attached to the bottom portion of the tube, so it doesn't ride up. 3) See if you can find a tube where the telescoping top locks into place very securely. Mine does "lock" into place but not super-securely and if I pick it up wrong, I'll lift the top portion right out of the bottom half, which is annoying.

I saw a mat holder at a game store recently that was made out of material similar to that of a duffel bag or backpack rather than hard plastic. It was like a super-long and skinny gym bag, just zips up with a strap and two leather handles. I almost would suggest one of those rather than a tube, depending on how much they cost in comparison (I didn't check a price). Lightly rolling a mat and setting it inside the playmat bag is a lot easier/quicker than rolling one tightly and sliding it down into a tube.

A general tip, if you haven't realized it yet: roll the mats with the design side facing outside. I used to roll them rubber-side out when storing them in their original boxes and then saw it suggested online that you face the rubber-side in, so the rubber doesn't catch on the sides of whatever it's in. They go in and out a lot easier if the rubber-side faces in. 

3 hours ago, EYEL1NER said:

A general tip, if you haven't realized it yet: roll the mats with the design side facing outside. I used to roll them rubber-side out when storing them in their original boxes and then saw it suggested online that you face the rubber-side in, so the rubber doesn't catch on the sides of whatever it's in. They go in and out a lot easier if the rubber-side faces in. 

Not to mention - you don't get the occasional warping or "bubbling" in the surface when you go printed-side-out.

ALWAYS roll the mats printed-side-out!

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

Not to mention - you don't get the occasional warping or "bubbling" in the surface when you go printed-side-out.

ALWAYS roll the mats printed-side-out!

Mine are flawless on the printed side but now that you mention it, I can very easily imagine or picture what you are describing. I'd be pretty upset if that happened to mine. Mine have been fine for a while though, even after I was storing them printed-side-in, tightly rolled in their original boxes, in the hot trunk of my car for several weeks. I kept thinking 'surely that heat isn't good for them, especially when rolled.' When I finally took them out, they looked great still. 

One of the guys I know folded his in half twice and stuffed it into his storage box. He'd take it out to find creases in it, and then fold it back up again at the end of a play session. Maybe he thought they were permanent at that point and didn't care anymore (or maybe they actually were permanent)? I'd cringe every time I saw him start folding though.