Brian Downes

AABFA (Acronyms Are Bad For Armada)

7 minutes ago, xero989 said:

I do think list acronyms are very confusing I didn't even know what DMSU or MSU until a few months ago and I took a DMSU fleet to regionals back in wave 2

135.png

The more commonly-used acronym (it's an acronym, it's pronounced as a word!) is "DeMSU," pronounced "Dem-Sue." When it comes to an MSU fleet with Demolisher in it.

Man, I'm being pedantic as HELL in this thread, hahaha. Hopefully the stupid pictures communicate that I'm largely joking...

Edited by Snipafist

14 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

The more commonly-used acronym (it's an acronym, it's pronounced as a word!) is "DeMSU," pronounced "Dem-Sue." When it comes to an MSU fleet with Demolisher in it.

And here I am, a scrub pronouncing it "Dee-Em-Ehs-You" (like an intialism)

Edited by GiledPallaeon

1 minute ago, GiledPallaeon said:

I mean it's confusing because MSU is an initialism but DeMSU is an acronym. I guess you can always make a frankenword by pronouncing it "Dem-ess-you."

Dem ess me? Ey, Dem ess YOU, buddy!

15 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

I mean it's confusing because MSU is an initialism but DeMSU is an acronym. I guess you can always make a frankenword by pronouncing it "Dem-ess-you."

Dem ess me? Ey, Dem ess YOU, buddy!

That's, uuhhh...

That's how I say it.  Fewer syllables.

On 5/20/2017 at 11:34 PM, Brian Downes said:

Please stop using acronyms so much.

The threads here are often overrun with acronyms, which is alienating and off-putting to the vast majority of Armada players, who have not memorized each card by its initials. If you want these forums to be about community, and you want new and beginning players to start playing and keep playing Armada, then stop writing forum posts in this elitist code.

A new player is not going to flip through dozens of cards trying to figure out what "TRC" or "OE" means. Or worse, "TRC90", which isn't a card at all. Not even the Armada wikia can help a beginning player here, as entering an acronym into the search bar produces no result.

This is even worse for *potential* players, who don't own any cards. Someone who thinks they might want to start playing is going to be shut down by what looks to them like a wall of gibberish designed to keep them out.

So be friendlier to your fellow gamers, and write out the full name of the card at least the first time you use it in a post.

Every new players best friend : http://armada.ryankingston.com/

Every single card, as a picture, no hunting via Google search.

2 hours ago, Madaghmire said:

INTFCTETIWTRFCTANGTFT

(I'm not typing Fighter Coordination Teams every time I want to reference Fighter Coordination Teams. Ain't nobody got time for that)

What about Fire Control Team, the more popular FCT?

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

MSU stands in place for "Multiple Small Units"

Its rather exclusively not just a lot of ships, but a lot of small ships.

As a follow-on term from other games, where you have the choice of taking small groups of individual units, rather than lumping all of them together in one larger unit.  In Armada practice, it is spreading minimum amounts of effective points over multiple small units, rather than taking a large ship for a large amount of points...

DMSU also includes the Demolisher.

Thank you. I have also been wondering for months what MSU stood for.  Hopefully my brain retains it.

I'd just like to point out that 3 people, now, have used the wrong acronym/inititialism/proper upgrade title for FC with regards to Yavaaaaaris and the pelta. It's "Flight Commander," y'all. That's the one. Not flight officer. Not flight controller. Commander. Flight Commander.

By virtue of confusing your own acronyms, you give rise to the OP. You must resist the urge to be wrong. You are the elite. Resist!

I would like to point out that I did not say that no acronyms should be used. I said that posters should write out the full name of the card the first time they use it in a post. After that, the acronyms can be used without too much confusion.

7 hours ago, itzSteve said:

I am sorry that new players would be discouraged from playing a awesome game of Armada just because you can't (or won't) pick up some of the acronyms people use when describing different aspects of the game. But personally, I refuse to type out Turbolaser Reroute Circuits every time I want to reference them. If you want to play the game, or learn from the many experts here in the forums, learn the lingo people. We were all there at one point in our Armada experiences.

I am not a new player, and it does not turn me off of the game. It does turn me off of the forums. Now maybe I am just to old for this group, but I was always tough that if you are using an acronym/initialism or what ever you want to call it, you are supposed to spell it out the first time you use it, and after that you can use the short hand. To me this is the bigger issue as we all come to this game as a hobby from different occupations and what not, each of them having there own set of short hand, when you type one that you think everyone is using but it is also one that they are using in their day to day life it makes it confusing. Now if the old school standard was being followed then everyone knows what you are talking about. And at least for me if you are to lazy to type it out the first time than do you really want people to follow what is being said.

1 minute ago, CDAT said:

I am not a new player, and it does not turn me off of the game. It does turn me off of the forums. Now maybe I am just to old for this group, but I was always tough that if you are using an acronym/initialism or what ever you want to call it, you are supposed to spell it out the first time you use it, and after that you can use the short hand. To me this is the bigger issue as we all come to this game as a hobby from different occupations and what not, each of them having there own set of short hand, when you type one that you think everyone is using but it is also one that they are using in their day to day life it makes it confusing. Now if the old school standard was being followed then everyone knows what you are talking about. And at least for me if you are to lazy to type it out the first time than do you really want people to follow what is being said.

What's "lazy" to you could perhaps be a lack of education for others.

What's "lazy" to you could perhaps be a current state of being, in the fact that people feel they have spelled it out the first time, but continued forum postings are follow-ons, and thus, second times and beyond.

What's "lazy' to you could be a misinterpretation of the perceived "rules".  

What's "lazy" to you could be an unknown convention to those who don't speak English as a primary language.  (We have a lot of people who use the term 'dices' after all).

I'm old.

I know the standard.

But I also get picked on and abused for following standards on these forums.  So I gave up, and learned how to speak Youngling to these Younglings...

In the very least

ANY effort to "MANDATE" how people do things on these forums, - Let alone the INTERNET in general - has resulted, directly in Derision and Abuse.  In my case, I wasn't even involved in one case of it (trying to nail down a single set of issues requiring rules adjudications), but still, was hosed by it by abusive PMs and messages.

People will do what they do, after all...  As long as they are not directly disrespecting you in what they do, then its more of a courtesy to try to understand what they're doing - and if you don't understand, ask.  

I mean, I wish I could mandate that before people put a question up on the rules forums, they at least run a basic search to see if I havn't already answered that question twice that day and have it be on the front page.....   But that's happened :D

So in the end.  I'm just old an Cranky...  But I do my thing, and let other do theirs.

Just not on my eLawn.

...  get off my'dang eLawn! :D

If you have a job in the average workplace, they are likely acronym crazy as this seams to be an "in thing" with corporate culture. Remember how you had to figure out what they meant? The first time you use an acronym you need to be sure that your audience is clear what you mean by it before you start to toss the word salad.

Acronyms are very useful provided they are used in the right context and aimed at the right audience. If you have a bunch of experienced forum posters talking who all know the lingo then it's fine, but if you're responding to someone with a thread like "My Newb Fleet Build" and a low post count, then telling them to put TRC in the TLS for the CR90 is gonna get a WTF.

In my business communications classes, we were taught that when you are writing something and plan to use abbreviations or acronyms the correct format is to write the words out the first time followed by the acronym in parenthesis afterwards, so everyone know what you are referring back to. For example:

"You should put Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (TRC) on your Corvette (TR90)."

Again, if your OP is starting off using acronyms then it's going to be okay to respond to their lead by using the same vernacular. You do need to keep your audience in mind. If you want to be understood, don't talk over their heads. Putting the responsibility off on the audience by saying to these people who have come asking for your aid that they should learn the language first just portrays yourself as being antagonistically anti-social.

Also, for big words: You're reading this on an electronic device. Copy/Paste is a thing.

There is a balance to be struck, nothing wrong with using short cuts in written communication, but if you end up making your communication to obsure it will turn people off. Standard practice is that you ensure the first time a you use a word you use it in full with any abbreviation you will be using in future provided a brackets.

Maybe we could consider a convention of " If you think you are introducing an abbreviation into a thread for the first time, include both its full name and abbreviation". That way anyone reading a thread will understand all abbreviations used in the ongoing conversation. 

10 hours ago, Snipafist said:

135.png

Man, I'm being pedantic as HELL in this thread, hahaha. Hopefully the stupid pictures communicate that I'm largely joking...

Wrong. 

10 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

Right.

Dont listen to him GP.  You are correct.  Definitely "Dee-Em-Ehs-You"

(If it makes Snip any happier, I'm fine calling it an initialism.  It is pronounced "Dee-Em-Ehs-You".) :)

I also don't pronounce TRC "Terk" or FC/FCT "****/****ed" (whoops)

Edited by CaribbeanNinja

12 hours ago, Snipafist said:

That is true, but you're not going to wow anyone at a fancy party using the term "acronym" when it's more correctly an initialism. Knowing the difference between an acronym and initialism might just get you laid impress someone important! I'm doing you all a favor! Validate me!

Or how about we don't scare the new guy already having trouble with acronyms with further pedantry. That just might work.