Brian Downes

AABFA (Acronyms Are Bad For Armada)

Please stop using acronyms so much.

The threads here are often overrun with acronyms, which is alienating and off-putting to the vast majority of Armada players, who have not memorized each card by its initials. If you want these forums to be about community, and you want new and beginning players to start playing and keep playing Armada, then stop writing forum posts in this elitist code.

A new player is not going to flip through dozens of cards trying to figure out what "TRC" or "OE" means. Or worse, "TRC90", which isn't a card at all. Not even the Armada wikia can help a beginning player here, as entering an acronym into the search bar produces no result.

This is even worse for *potential* players, who don't own any cards. Someone who thinks they might want to start playing is going to be shut down by what looks to them like a wall of gibberish designed to keep them out.

So be friendlier to your fellow gamers, and write out the full name of the card at least the first time you use it in a post.

I agree with this so much. I do not know how many times I have had to ask what people are trying to say as the acronyms that they picked have a very different meaning in the real world.

1 minute ago, CDAT said:

I agree with this so much. I do not know how many times I have had to ask what people are trying to say as the acronyms that they picked have a very different meaning in the real world.

And yet, your name appears to be an acronym. :D

1 minute ago, SkyCake said:

It wouldn't be so bad if there were a sticky defining the abbreviations,...

This would be helpful. 

Although I do think if you ask most folks respond with the full name. And a lot of them are pretty intuitive based on the conversation. It's all just part of the jargon of the game. 

4 minutes ago, SkyCake said:

It wouldn't be so bad if there were a sticky defining the abbreviations,...

You mean like this thread?

And while I'm sympathetic to the complaints about abbreviations and acronyms, the morass of cards and abilities in this game, in my opinion, make them something of a necessity to say anything with brevity. I know I will never fault someone for asking me to translate what I say into plain English, and try to avoid anything that isn't a direct initialism/acronym. I also don't think most of the posts, even in the Fleet Builds and Rules Questions subforums, are too too bad, but I also speak that language, so that may not be entirely fair.

Even as an experienced player it can get confusing.

Some terms are overloaded. ET could mean Engine Techs or Engineering Team, and they even use the same upgrade slot.

But mostly it's just exhausting to try and parse alphabet soup.

Edited by Democratus

I am sorry that new players would be discouraged from playing a awesome game of Armada just because you can't (or won't) pick up some of the acronyms people use when describing different aspects of the game. But personally, I refuse to type out Turbolaser Reroute Circuits every time I want to reference them. If you want to play the game, or learn from the many experts here in the forums, learn the lingo people. We were all there at one point in our Armada experiences.

Edited by itzSteve

You know what I think is bad for Armada?

How a solid 25% of the articles on the front page of the forum are describing how the game itself or the community around it is broken, imbalanced, or needs to be fixed in some way or another.

Many people (myself included) go to great lengths to make sure if they use acronyms they spell the full name out first, especially when dealing with newer players. But if it is a common phrase that is long enough to coin an acronym, it is typically only a short matter of time before those new players as well are using that acronym because the root purpose is not alienation, but convenience.

Never have I heard of someone posting on the forum in Armadaese to discourage a new player from joining the elite club that is the FFG Armada forum.

I mean, I will admit that there is a learning curve here, but I'm not going to type out Turbolaser Reroute Circuits ("TRC") every time. 

Or say "Put Turbolaser Reroute Circuits in the turbolaser slot on a CR-90" ("TRC90")

Or Flight Officer with your Fighter Coordination Team ("FO with your FCT")

It would be nice if we could get a stickied thread with definitions and slang.

Don't hold your breath though, FFG doesn't listen to us. 

Maybe we can add slang to the wiki? 

Edited by Eggzavier

I'm sorry that you feel put out by the use of Acronyms on the forum. It's not an elitist mentality, just shorthand that has evolved due to the lengthy nature of some upgrade names. Trust me, I've typed Electronic Countermeasures so many times that it started to drive me nuts! So now I use ECM.

If you ask what an Acronym is when it's being used and you don't recognize it, we aren't going to poke fun at you or anything for not knowing what it means. And after we let you know what it is, from then on it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Also, someone should probably link that thread to a wiki page or something.

1 minute ago, Eggzavier said:

I mean, I will admit that there is a learning curve here, but I'm not going to type out Turbolaser Reroute Circuits ("TRC") every time. 

Or say "Put Turbolaser Reroute Circuits in the turbolaser slot on a CR-90" ("TRC90")

It would be nice if we could get a stickied thread with definitions and slang.

Don'd hold your breath though, FFG doesn't listen to us. 

They do - Go to the thread listed above -  Report it.  Request for it to be stickied in the Fleet Builds Sub-Forum there...

It will happen.

It has happened in the past.  (Its how we got the Painting Sub-Forum back, anyway :D )

We just need a critical mass of people doing it.

54 minutes ago, Democratus said:

Even as an experienced player it can get confusing.

Some terms are overloaded. ET could mean Engine Techs or Engineering Team, and they even use the same upgrade slot.

But mostly it's just exhausting to try and parse alphabet soup.

This would only be the case if anybody was actually using Engineering Teams.. :D

I can't speak for everybody, but personally, I use acronyms very heavily because most of the time I'm posting from my phone.  It takes so, dang, long already to type anything out, that if I took the time to write out Assault Concussion Missiles every time I wanted to talk about them, I'd never get anything of substance posted.  As opposed to now, where I... yeah, okay, don't really post anything of substance.  But still, the point remains.

I am usually careful to write out the full name if it's ambiguous.  If I just say FCT and the squadron context isn't already established, I write Fighter Coord Teams.  On the other hand, if I write about FC/FCT on Yavaris or a Pelta... I'm sorry, but that's just going to detract from advancing the conversation if the participants have to type out Flight Controller/Fighter Coordination Team everytime FC/FCT comes up.

All that said, I can certainly sympathize with the frustration of newcomers too.  I can't tell you how aggravating it is to try to Google some problem I'm having with my son and then have to wade through all the arcane crap on all those mommy forums (Mommy Culture is seriously the worst, you guys). 

I think somebody mentioned last time this came up how nice it would be to have a mouseover acronym -> card text translation on the site.  I wonder if it would be worth looking into some kind of a community-maintained list for a word replacement browser plugin (like Cloud-to-Butt, but customizable) to help new people navigate?

What do you think about that, people that are having trouble in here?  Would something like that solve the issue for you, if someone were to maintain it?  Because, really, the community is unlikely to stop using acronyms and abbreviations.  That's what people on forums do, for better or worse.  So I think the better (well, more reliable, at least) solution would be something that doesn't require everyone else to modify their behavior.

Actually, they're not using acronyms at all. An acronym is a abbreviation of initials that creates a new word, like "NATO" is pronounced "nay-toe" or "FUBAR" is pronounced "fu-bar."

Conversely, TRCs are still an abbreviation but have all of their initials pronounced individually and are thus an initialism. Thus the thread title should be "IABFA," which itself is likely an initialism as the acronym form would sound like "ee-yab-fa," which doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Initialisms are frequently confused for acronyms as they're similar but the pronunciation element is different for each.

Language pedant, away!

https://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/rr-meme.jpg

Seriously, though, all the initialisms don't help new people understand what's happening. It also gets confusing when you get someone using FCTs for Fire Control Team when most of us assume the only FCT in the game is Fighter Coordination Team because Fire Control Team is terrible.

19 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

Actually, they're not using acronyms at all. An acronym is a abbreviation of initials that creates a new word, like "NATO" is pronounced "nay-toe" or "FUBAR" is pronounced "fu-bar."

Conversely, TRCs are still an abbreviation but have all of their initials pronounced individually and are thus an initialism. Thus the thread title should be "IABFA," which itself is likely an initialism as the acronym form would sound like "ee-yab-fa," which doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Initialisms are frequently confused for acronyms as they're similar but the pronunciation element is different for each.

Language pedant, away!

Hotly debated, and "acronym" as the general form is in widespread use and commonly understood.

Just now, Ardaedhel said:

Hotly debated, and "acronym" as the general form is in widespread use and commonly understood.

That is true, but you're not going to wow anyone at a fancy party using the term "acronym" when it's more correctly an initialism. Knowing the difference between an acronym and initialism might just get you laid impress someone important! I'm doing you all a favor! Validate me!

8 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

That is true, but you're not going to wow anyone at a fancy party using the term "acronym" when it's more correctly an initialism. Knowing the difference between an acronym and initialism might just get you laid impress someone important! I'm doing you all a favor! Validate me!

lERYqeg.jpg

Edited by Ardaedhel

While I do agree that acronyms can be overwhelming to a new player as they were to me when I first started.  But my love for the game can we playing then coming back even if I didn't understand all the acronyms, and over time I learned many of the common ones.  I still from time to time run into acronyms I'm not quite sure what they mean, but for the most part I'm able to and for once I think about it.  I do think list acronyms are very confusing I didn't even know what DMSU or MSU until a few months ago and I took a DMSU fleet to regionals back in wave 2

1 minute ago, GammonLord said:

Ive been playing for a while and im still not sure what MSU/ DMSU is :lol: It pertains to a fleet with lots of ships right?

MSU stands in place for "Multiple Small Units"

Its rather exclusively not just a lot of ships, but a lot of small ships.

As a follow-on term from other games, where you have the choice of taking small groups of individual units, rather than lumping all of them together in one larger unit.  In Armada practice, it is spreading minimum amounts of effective points over multiple small units, rather than taking a large ship for a large amount of points...

DMSU also includes the Demolisher.

Edited by Drasnighta