Sign in to follow this  
thecactusman17

Known Unknowns: Proactive Wave 6 Questions/FAQ Thread

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones. - Donald Rumsfeld, United States Secratary of State

This thread is meant to collect questions regarding new ships and upgrades from the various Wave 6 spoilers.  These questions will only be updated for cards where all card text is revealed to players, including cards where the written card text is entirely visible in the card fan (but not cards that are partially or fully obscured).  Answers to any questions posed here must only be debated further if new information comes to light about the card, or a similar interaction between other cards.  Questions should be submitted with a thread for rule discussion.  There is no rule discussion permitted in this thread, only submissions for consideration,

This thread is going to be left in an open state with 3 types of questions until the release of an FAQ to address Wave 6 cards.  It will be broken up into the following sections

Known Knowns:  Questions that have been definitively answered by way of an FAQ or changed language on a card by release.  Example:  Does Admiral Sloane affect Squadrons with Swarm, or Squadrons without Rogue?  Answer:  Admiral Sloane clearly affects all friendly squadrons without the Rogue keyword. (source:  Quasar Fire Preview Article 

Known Unknowns:  open questions that are unclear based on the wording of the card or its interactions with other core rules.  Example:  Does Boarding Engineers allow the active player to spend a given token more than once?  (basis:  restriction not listed on card, default spending restrictions for defense tokens only apply during attacks).

Unknown Unknowns:  Open questions that are unclear because the description or demonstration does not show a clear example that would have bearing on an interaction, or shows an interaction that is contrary to the wording of the card, or where equally valid sources give two mutually exclusive descriptions of the card.   Example:  Does Admiral Sloane affect Squadrons with Swarm, or Squadrons without Rogue?  (basis:  Initial preview images shows two versions of the same card).

Unknown Unknowns:  Questions for which there isn't yet sufficient information on an interaction, and the demonstration fails to indicate one way or the other an intended result.

Question: Does Boarding Troopers allow a player to spend a token more than once in one use?  Can you spend a readied Defense Token to exhausted, then to Discarded? Question Source:  Preview article indicates that Adm. Sloane is necessary to discard tokens, RRG indicates that restriction on spending tokens only occurs during attacks - Boarding Engineers is not an attack

Question:  If a ship affected by General Leia Organa reveals a command dial and has a command token of the same type, does the ship receive the benefit of also spending the command token? 

Question:  When using Task Force Antilles, can multiple Hammerheads with this upgrade combine to remove multiple points of damage from a  defending ship?  Source:  "Prepare for Impact" Hammerhead Corvette preview article posted June 2nd 2017 showing this interaction possibly in violation of "Attack" rules, RRG page 4.

Is General Rieekan's ability optional, or must the controlling player nominate a ship or unique squadron to be affected by it?  If they must, when must this selection be made?

Edited by thecactusman17
New questions added by "Prepare for Impact" article

Known Unknowns:  Questions where interactions are clear within the rules, but seem to lead to less than obvious consequences.

Question:  Does The Grand Inquisitor's ability apply when an enemy ship changes its speed due to Tractor Beams/G8 Projectors, or if it is forced to temporarily reduce its speed?

Question:  When attacking with a non-Rogue squadron using Admiral Sloane's ability, can the defending player use a defense token that was spent by the attacking player as the result of Admiral Sloane's ability?

Edited by thecactusman17
Added question regarding The Grand Inquisitor and tracotr Beams

Known Knowns:  Questions which have been definitively answered by official sources.

Question:  Which squadrons are affected by Admiral Sloane's ability?  (source:  Announcement article "Up Close and Personal" features 2 different versions of the card in the card fan and direct image)  Answer:  Admiral Sloane affects all friendly squadrons without the Rogue keyword.  (Source:  Quasar Fire preview article "Rapid Deployment" shows only the single version of the card in all preview images)

Edited by thecactusman17
First answer!

Were any conclusions reached on the above? 

Is there potential for a ship with Boarding engineers, backed up by Sloane Tie swarm, to completely discard a large ships defence tokens?

IE Ship activates, uses boarding troopers to exhaust all four of large ship's D.tokens. Then, either with this ship (assuming it had a dial and a token) or another,  they activate a bunch of Sloane Ties who come along and "spend" the defender's exhausted tokens with accuracies, potentially stripping all their tokens in a turn. 

Am i reading this right or is there a timing issue? Cos i cant find one...

32 minutes ago, GammonLord said:

Is there potential for a ship with Boarding engineers, backed up by Sloane Tie swarm, to completely discard a large ships defence tokens?

IE Ship activates, uses boarding troopers to exhaust all four of large ship's D.tokens. Then, either with this ship (assuming it had a dial and a token) or another,  they activate a bunch of Sloane Ties who come along and "spend" the defender's exhausted tokens with accuracies, potentially stripping all their tokens in a turn. 

I think you mean Boarding Troopers instead of Boarding Engineers.

In that case there is no doubt that you can make the defender discard the defense tokens once exhausted as the word for both Boarding Troopers and Admiral Sloan is "Spend".

For refference, RRG page 4:
"Defense tokens begin the game on their readied side. When a readied defense token is spent, it is flipped to its exhausted side. When an exhausted defense token is spent, it is discarded."

On 5/29/2017 at 5:50 AM, GammonLord said:

There's no question that yes you can use Troopers and Sloane to discard tokens (it's even mentioned explicitly in the announcement article).  The real question is, since Boarding Troopers is not an attack, can you use 2+ spends to spend a ready (green) token all the way to discarded.  This would mean that any ship with 4+ squadron (hello ISD and Quasar) could spend both redundant tokens (for example, on a Liberty of Nebulon-B) all the way down to discarded.

12 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

There's no question that yes you can use Troopers and Sloane to discard tokens (it's even mentioned explicitly in the announcement article).  The real question is, since Boarding Troopers is not an attack, can you use 2+ spends to spend a ready (green) token all the way to discarded.  This would mean that any ship with 4+ squadron (hello ISD and Quasar) could spend both redundant tokens (for example, on a Liberty of Nebulon-B) all the way down to discarded.

As I see it, it wouldn't work that way. The card says:
"Choose and spend a number of its defense tokens up to your squadron value"
To me that part means that there should be different defense tokens and all at the same time.

For example it would be like this:
-I use it on my opponent's MC30c, my squadron value is 4 so I say "I want to spend your Evade 1, your Evade 2, your Redirect 1 and your Redirect 2" and so all are spent.

And not like this:
-I use it on my opponent's MC30c, my squadron value is 4 so I say "I want to spend your Evade 1"
-My opponent spends it
-Now I say I want to spend the Evade 1 again
-My opponent discards it
-etc

Of course I could be wrong, but is how I read it

Questions regarding Task Force Antilles have been added to the "Unknown Unknowns" category, due to its description that may or may not violate rules from the RRG.

Reminder:  This thread is not for arguing for or against a position on any given rules question.  If you want to argue if a position is valid, please follow the link to the discussion threads where available.

If you have clear evidence that a question either has been definitively answered by  FFG staff or deserves to be added for discussion, post that here with appropriate links or sources.

Edited by thecactusman17

On May 29, 2017 at 8:50 AM, GammonLord said:

With enough TIEs you don't even need boarding troopers. Two TIEs can strip a defense token off a ship, rolling right, with Sloane.

On July 5, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Darth Lupine said:

With enough TIEs you don't even need boarding troopers. Two TIEs can strip a defense token off a ship, rolling right, with Sloane.

Each Tie has a .25 chance of actually getting an accuracy.  To strip a token at average chances (though this is still random chance, results will vary incredibly) (spend twice) you'd need this equation, lovely provided by my dear elementary teacher: 2 = .25x + .25(.25)x, solve for x.  (Via Sloane rerolls off crits)

Although in essence, if you attack something with 6-8 ties, youre probably doing about 4-5 damage too. =)

Damage of 8 ties:  8(.5) + 8(.25)(.5) = 4 + 4(.25) = 4 + 1 = 5.

5 damage and 2 accuracies and 1 crit miss.  (Though, I tend to double roll into crits a lot it seems)

[the answer is about 6.4 ties btw, on average.  You're gonna want 7-8, and in your build maybe around 10 lol]

Edited by Blail Blerg

7 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

Can we add when Grand Inquisitor triggers? Which would entail the whole Comms Noise, Konstantine, Tractor Beam discussion:

I'm like 100% sure GI triggers only on Tractor Beams, but I still think this should be addressed formally.

I agree that this is an interesting question.  It has been added to the "known unknowns" post, because we know these are speed changes but we don't know if they are one of the triggers based on the card wording.