Sign in to follow this  
totalnoob

Damage/Condition token usage

Kind of piggybacking on @VadersMarchKazoo topic about the correct process on ID stickers. I am also wondering about damage tokens and conditions. I'm not necessarily concerned about the "official" approach, but am curious if anyone else finds it tedious to "drag" conditions and damage around with their figure. Also when things get congested and there are many figures around - I found myself absolutely hating how "messy" it looked, and getting confused which figure had which damage/condition (I am anal - I know ;))

When playing campaign and our home skirmish matches (I haven't played in anything organized or official), I put the damage/condition tokens on my corresponding number markers next to my deployment card. The rebels do have to look across to my card area to see the damage on each figure - but they also mentioned that they like the "cleaner" view of the board, and it speeds up the game when moving pieces around. When they activate a figure that is close to a group, I usually say "Number 1 Royal Guard has 3 damage, so 5 health left, etc". 

That process isn't a panacea either, but just curious what other people do.

Here is a Imperial Play mat that I created for campaign. The V2 is the better one and you can get it printed at www.pixartprinting.com on vinyl. That way you can put the damage and conditions on the corresponding number of the unit for the group card.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140455/imperial-player-play-mat

8 minutes ago, supersayian said:

Here is a Imperial Play mat that I created for campaign. The V2 is the better one and you can get it printed at www.pixartprinting.com on vinyl. That way you can put the damage and conditions on the corresponding number of the unit for the group card.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140455/imperial-player-play-mat

Thats a great idea! That gives a nice background template for my current damage/condition "process".  From the videos I have seen of other people playing IA online, I have never seen people put damage next to their number ID/deployment card - so I figured I was kind of doing it wrong, but I guess other people do use this approach as well.

Edited by totalnoob
clarity

1 hour ago, a1bert said:

If there are more than a couple of imperial figures with damage on the board in a campaign mission, the rebels are doing it wrong. :D

Meh, get a little splash damage with Fenn near one objective while Vinto starts dealing out pinpricks near another objective.  It can happen.

I put this in the other thread, but I think it's applicable here, too.  Not really groundbreaking or anything, but it's how I do things.  Though those maps look really, really cool.  FFG should sell neoprene versions of those.  

1)  Now that I've painted, I have elite groups/figure bases painted red, regular painted grey- this matches the borders of their respective deployment cards.

2) For groups containing more than one figure (like Storm troopers) or groups that might have multiple copies of regular deployments (like Imperial Officers) I put a colored sticker on the base.  

3)  I store my minis, by group, in a plastic plano-type of box.  I also store the cardboard chits that correspond to those minis in their respective compartments, so I don't have to search through all 80+ tokens to find the one I need each time.

4) When deploying, I grab the minis along with their tokens, and the deployment card.  I place the tokens on the deployment card (either on the art, or next to the card).  If the unit takes damage or gets a condition, I stack it on the token.  I make sure to leave enough space between the stacks, to avoid them getting mixed up.  I usually keep a list of all condition cards near my play area, for reference.

I always tried. Someone on BBG created a card system similar to the ones that FFG are releasing in their tournament kits. I used those at first for campaign and even skirmish. That is when I was looking for something inexpensive for the campaign as the imperial player. So that is how I got that idea for the imperial play mat. Hope that helps everybody in some way shape or form. There are even rebel ones that others have made and I am going to get those printed for my rebel players to use.

Dunno about that, hasn't been an issue in our games. But in a tangentially related subject, does anyone actually use all the little round number stickers the boxed sets come with? I don't and I'd like to decrease clutter. So. If anyone wants some...