Sign in to follow this  
VadersMarchKazoo

ID tokens and stickers: official use?

I've always been a little unsure how to use the stickers and ID tokens. I've never seen this addressed in the RRG or other FFG materials. I paint my minis so for the most part this is unnecessary but still I've wanted to use the stickers but have avoided it because of uncertainty. I searched the forums and I've seen a few approaches but haven't gotten a firm answer. Is there an OFFICIAL way to use these?

I see two options:

1) A common color identifies a group and individual figures within a group get different numbers.

2) A common numbers identifies a group and individual figures within a group get different colors.

Does anyone know what FFG had in mind?

Is there a standard for tournament play?

Thanks-

This is what I do for campaign (and the few skirmish times I've tried):

1)  Now that I've painted, I have elite groups/figure bases painted red, regular painted grey- this matches the borders of their respective deployment cards.

2) For groups containing more than one figure (like Storm troopers) or groups that might have multiple copies of regular deployments (like Imperial Officers) I put a colored sticker on the base.  

3)  I store my minis, by group, in a plastic plano-type of box.  I also store the cardboard chits that correspond to those minis in their respective compartments, so I don't have to search through all 80+ tokens to find the one I need each time.

4) When deploying, I grab the minis along with their tokens, and the deployment card.  I place the tokens on the deployment card (either on the art, or next to the card).  If the unit takes damage or gets a condition, I stack it on the token.  I make sure to leave enough space between the stacks, to avoid them getting mixed up.  I usually keep a list of all condition cards near my play area, for reference.

A couple of notes on this:  For campaign use only, this is nice because it means not all units need stickers.  Stuff like the Nexu or the recent Jawas are only single deployment figures that only include one version of both elite and regular.  Damage and conditions can be placed directly on the card.

Also, personally, I kind of screwed my own system up early on, before I painted.  Because I had no way of differentiating between elite and regular when all my units were grey, I did put stickers on my Nexu (and have since thrown away the extra stickers) and all other units that really didn't need stickers.  So, I don't really have enough stickers right now, and I'm a little behind.  I think the only units that currently don't have stickers are the Alliance Rangers, so I'll have to get a little creative when using them.

Regarding multiple similar deployment groups (for instance, two rStormtrooper groups), I really just do whatever I want.  Since they already have tokens, I don't need to differentiate between them, but I can if I want to.  For instance, I've painted all regular Stormtrooper deployments with red details.  Then, I have a standard white stormtrooper group for regulars, and one with blue details.  On the other hand, I made no distinction between my wing guard groups (though I did paint different skin tones on individual figures).  Also, note that there are two rWing Guard deployment cards, and 1 elite.  In cases like that, I paint all grey, just in case.  Their elite status can still be identified by which group's tokens are on the elite card.

OK, I was just opening my new Alliance Rangers pack and it occurred to me that it came with four ID tokes and 4 stickers.  All of them are #21 and there are four different colors. So, it seems very evident that the number identifies the group and colors identify individuals within a group. So simple. Mystery solved.

1 hour ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

OK, I was just opening my new Alliance Rangers pack and it occurred to me that it came with four ID tokes and 4 stickers.  All of them are #21 and there are four different colors. So, it seems very evident that the number identifies the group and colors identify individuals within a group. So simple. Mystery solved.

That's how I've usually done it.  

But again, FFG basically said do what you need to with them.

17 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

That's how I've usually done it.  

But again, FFG basically said do what you need to with them.

Sure. I'm guessing they don't want to get too official because it would make things that much more complicated and you wouldn't want to see someone DQ'd for something silly like this. I'm just saying, based on distribution it is strongly inferred that the intent is to use numbers for groups. Otherwise, expansion packs would come with a single color with different numbers or have both options. 

edit: Numbering groups makes much more sense due to the high numbers of groups and low number of different colors. Plus, it would be much simpler to say: this is group 21, for example. 

edit 2: This will be much more important when you see an army of 20 regular Jawas at worlds next year;)

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo

I've ran a group of normal stormtroopers with estormtroopers, since I was'nt using the heavy troopers, I used those for the eTroopers, is something like that allowed as long as you let person you playing know? 

Technically no. See the tournament regulations. You need to have the figures to be able to use the group.

Also, practically no, because it would probably be confusing in tournament setting.

For casual games - do what both players agree upon.