Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pmdoug

Best Scenario for 4 Players?

9 posts in this topic

I'm planning to host a 4 player session of LotR, but I'm not sure which scenario is the best fit. I typically play 2 player with another experienced player, but we'll be adding two novice players (only played 1-2 times before) to the mix. 

I'm considering 4 player Pelennor Fields. Battles are a good fit for larger player counts and it's a big moment in the story that every knows about. Is this scenario too complicated for newer players?

What is your favorite quest for 4 players? 

Foundations of Stone or Breaking of the Fellowship are some of my favorites for 4 player. I'm a sucker for separate staging areas I guess!

pmdoug likes this

Posted (edited)

I'd say the defining factor are the 2 new players. 

First scenario coming to mind would be Anduin. It has no special rules not featured in the base rules (like City damage in Pelennor or separate staging areas), so it is much easier to Follow for a novice player. It isn't my favourite scenario and doesn't have anything to do with the books, but from experience it doesn't help when people know the place/characters, but can't follow the game. 

Adding to this: Most new players struggle with deck-building and/or playing their deck at least decent. Stuff like Pelenor or Botf is much more Challenging than Anduin (especially when Guided by an experienced player) and people tend to have more fun when they win or at least do fine/contribute to the win. 

I could Go on how I would introduce new players, but the point is: I recommend Anduin. If everyone knows it already/doesn't like it etc. I would Go for Amon Dhin or Redhorn Gate. 

Edit: Favourite quest would be Helm's Deep. But that's not beginner friendly, so I can't recommend it. 

Edited by Calvadur
pmdoug likes this

If you are building the decks yourself, you could try Escape from Mount Gram. It's not too difficult, and I like how you get to help other players out when you escape from your own personal quest stage.

dr00 and pmdoug like this

Posted (edited)

Avoid scenarios that cannibalize the number of players by putting effects that scale with the number of players on a single card.

Edited by John Constantine
Seastan and pmdoug like this

for newer players, i'd try some of the earlier quests, which tend to be a bit easier with larger player counts

if you feel you're good with the strategy of the game, aside from some of the options already mentioned, A Storm on Cobas Haven is really fun with higher player counts (but all of the sailing quests tbh, but this one is probably the most dynamic with more players)