OFCShawsome

PTL or Rage on Quickdraw

So I'm looking to run a list with Electronic Baffle QuickDraw and I am trying to decide if I want to run PTL or rage.  PTL allows for greater repositioning and flexibility to NOT baffle off stress if you don't want to.  Rage is way more all in, no repositioning but you get greater dice modification for all attacks.  

Thoughts?

I'd go with rage, it's cheaper. Yeah it bring menueverability down but if you comiting to the baffle it's deadly double taps all re-rolled with a focus makes for heavy round of fire. Just make sure you position Q-Draw properly. 

PTL is more long game Quickdrae so it does depend on how you fly him.

The rage/baffle combo is nice, but the biggest issue with going against Quickdraw is knowing that he might shoot you back.  As your opponent, I don't have that concern anymore with rage, plus, your killing your own ship for me.  And if I attack and remove those last 2 shields, than I'm good to go, and you've already lost out on his ability.

I'm solidly in the camp of neither. Expertise is a terrific option which punches hard and keeps the ship effective post shields. Baffle keeps expertise up and running and you can just threaten good counter attacks if you get shot. Rage pins you far too heavily into needing baffle to use your ept and you still end stressed. Ptl is fine but much worse post-shields as the greens are not very good on the sf. If you want cheap just go a score to settle and fire control.

Rage Baffle is a thing. I think there are better options (self inflicted damage isn't great so you better really get the use out of that extra shot - and it opens up QD to be shot by the enemy without reprisal that turn). Personally I'm loving QD with FCS and targeting synch for a variety of lists. It's sneaky good.

I like EB with Expertise. It means that you can't have your Expertise shut down and create an additional thing your opponent doesn't want to do to Quickdraw.

In general people have moved away from Baffle, though, towards a more Dengar-like playstyle with FCS, which works really well! Add to that "A Score to settle" as mini-Expertise and you can even keep it cheap!

Keep Quickdraw cheap. Either they focus her down early, in which case you unload a lot of damage, or they leave her to the endgame, when suddenly your double taps are a lot more relevant.

Rafe Baffle is fun, but it kills the repercussions for shooting at QD. That combined with the self-inflicted damage means QD will not likely use her ability more than once. RageBaffle is great with initiative at murdering Soontir before he gets to token up, but Soontir hasn't seen top play in a while. He's been replaced by Fenn, who almost certainly has a focus to defend with.

If you do go ragebaffle, run it otherwise naked (obv with title). 31 pts is less frustrating to lose (and you will lose it) than 33 with ptl.

What's the rest of the list? If you're building specifically with QD baffling consider some wing mates that give more options.

Youngster is one of my favorites. Put Rage on Youngster and now QD's ept slot is available again. I like this setup with Swarm Leader for more dice in the activation phase.

If you bring an Inspiring Recruit, Wingman carrier, or Epsilon leader then you won't have to worry about the second stress from Rage, you might even skip the baffles and go for the counter attack with these wing mates.

6 hours ago, tortugatron said:

Eventually people will figure out that self-harm QuickDraw is not the way you should be doing it. 

Yup.  It was briefly good for a flash in the pan after he dropped, and it quickly became bad as people figured out how to counter it.

FCS/Targetting Sync/LWF/Draw Their Fire is my normal QD build.

8 hours ago, tortugatron said:

Eventually people will figure out that self-harm QuickDraw is not the way you should be doing it. 

Counterpoint: former UK champion Jesper Hills swears by Rage Quickdraw, and almost ran it at Worlds.

Not my bag of chips (I'm in the A Score To Settle camp), but if Jesper thinks something is good he's almost always right.

23 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Counterpoint: former UK champion Jesper Hills swears by Rage Quickdraw, and almost ran it at Worlds.

Not my bag of chips (I'm in the A Score To Settle camp), but if Jesper thinks something is good he's almost always right.

I agree and don't think he needs any help stripping shields

when you need that double tap you'll get it

On 5/19/2017 at 6:16 AM, SOTL said:

I'm no Jesper Hills, but I think Rage Quickdraw is still solid too, although I'm on A Score To Settle myself right now.  The real key with Rage-Baffle is Pattern Analyzer.

1st turn where combat happens:  select green move, use PA to Rage before clearing stress, so you only carry one stress to the next turn.  Rage is up, so you you're nasty with your revenge shot, but you didn't self-damage.

2nd turn of combat: green move to clear stress, Rage, Baffle.  Now you should be close, so the self-damage is really going to be worthwhile.  You have 1 stress remaining.

3rd turn: green move to clear stress, take a Focus for defense.

4th turn: turn around.