Sign in to follow this  
Mon no Oni

Story: What remains the same, What doesnt.

Dramatis Personae:

Daidoji Nerishma. (PoV)

Doji Hotaru. (PoV)

Doji Shizue.

Bayushi Kachiko.

Fumio, the Cat.

Other than Hotaru gender switch, the story remains close to the original. Apparently the romance is mantained even if the Dairyu angle is necessarily lost. Still, spurned love can still be motivation enough for a bitter feud.

Mentioned:

Kakita Toshimoko.

Kakita Yoshi.

Doji Satsume.

Doji Kuwanan.

Doji “Teinko”?

Yoritomo.

Shosuro Hametsu.

While no mentioned by name, Satsume wife's story seems the same. Overall, the main difference is Satsume's death. In the original Satsume dies years later: first he his badly hurt during the SCC (which may or may not happen), then poisoned in his sleep immediately before Imperial.

Places:

Rokugan, The Emerald Empire.

The Emperor’s Road.

Otosan Uchi:  The Imperial Capital

-          Chisei District

Kyuden Doji.

-          Fantastic Gardens

Sea of the Sun Goddess

Islands of Spice and Silk

Osari Plains.

Toshi Ranbo.

The Carpenter Wall

Shizuka Toshi

Ryokō Owari Toshi

Titles and other:

Emperor, Clan Champions, Family Daimyo, Emerald Champion, Imperial Advisor

The Imperial Legions, the Emerald Magistrates

Concepts

Kata, One-Strike Blade

Lady Sun

Fortunes

Karmic Wheel

I'm happy to see the 'h' in "karmic" gone. It made no sense. At AEG some seemed to have mixed the concepts of Karma y Dharma, and we got an stoopid spelling.

Recent history:

Three years ago;

a devastating tsunami had ravaged the Crane Clan’s coastline, destroying some of the clan’s most fertile lands. Danger of famine.

One year and a half

Satsume steps down as Crane Champion, and Hotaru ascends to the position

Recently:

Pirates lead by Yoritomo attack Shizuka Toshi. Hotaru husband sent to investigate

Satsume dies mysteriously. Foul play suspected. Hotaru travels incognito with trade caravan. Cover blown by bandit attack.

Indeterminate timeline:

Dragon Clan has trouble dealing with a growing sect of dissidents and heretics. Crane can't help.

Crab Clan is badly pressed on the Carpenter Wall. Crane can't help, either.

With each passing day, the Scorpion grip on the Imperial Court grows ever tighter.

Long-standing feud with the Lion over ownership of Toshi Ranbo. Crane blood spilled on the Osari Plains. 

...So other than some discrete changes, the initial position for the players seems the same, for what we have seen. After Satsume's death, the next step would seem to choose a new Emerald Champion. It his is, as rumoured, decided in a GenCon tournament it could be a new departure from the original. The SCC may or may not happen at all.

If FFG decides to run a tighter ship than AEG did I could see the EC positon left to a story tournament without any major repercusion (other than a new card down the road), while the SCC being mostly scripted... if they have decided to go that way at all. Frankly, I wouldn't have much problem with that. Less silliness that way, thighter storyline.

Also, I like the presentation of the fiction. The PDF seems fairly well edited- My first impulse what to print it... I hope they print a book later on.

Edited by Mon no Oni
clarity

3 hours ago, Mon no Oni said:

Also, I like the presentation of the fiction. The PDF seems fairly well edited- My first impulse what to print it... I hope they print a book later on.

At the very least an e-book at the end of the arc, preferably with its own ISBN so I can plug it into Goodreads, would be a lovely thing to see.

5 hours ago, Builder2 said:

At the very least an e-book at the end of the arc, preferably with its own ISBN so I can plug it into Goodreads, would be a lovely thing to see.

e-book is OK, but I prefer to have a dead tree version, that I can hold in my hands,. too.

I'm not sure if you're referring to just the fiction, but previous news has mentioned characters who exist as well:

From the Product page and Announcement

• Hantei XXXVIII - the Emperor
  • Doji Hotaru - Crane Clan - champion
  • Doji Satsume - Crane Clan - dead
  • Bayushi Shoju - Scorpion Clan - friend of the Emperor
  • Bayushi Kachiko - Scorpion Clan - Shoju's wife
  • Akodo Arasou - Lion Clan - leader
  • Akodo Toturi - Lion Clan - brilliant new general
  • Matsu Tsuko - Lion Clan - Arasou's beloved
  • Shinjo Altansarnai - Unicorn Clan - made peace with Lion
  • Utako Kamoko - Unicorn Clan - fiery hatred of Lion
  • Shiba Ujimitsu - Phoenix Clan - champion
  • Council of Elemental Masters - Phoenix Clan
  • Togashi Yokuni - Dragon Clan - champion
  • Hida Kisada - Crab Clan -
  • Kisada's children- Crab Clan

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I'm not sure if you're referring to just the fiction, but previous news has mentioned characters who exist as well:

From the Product page and Announcement

• Hantei XXXVIII - the Emperor
  • Doji Hotaru - Crane Clan - champion
  • Doji Satsume - Crane Clan - dead
  • Bayushi Shoju - Scorpion Clan - friend of the Emperor
  • Bayushi Kachiko - Scorpion Clan - Shoju's wife
  • Akodo Arasou - Lion Clan - leader
  • Akodo Toturi - Lion Clan - brilliant new general
  • Matsu Tsuko - Lion Clan - Arasou's beloved
  • Shiba Ujimitsu - Phoenix Clan - champion
  • Council of Elemental Masters - Phoenix Clan
  • Togashi Yokuni - Dragon Clan - champion
  • Hida Kisada - Crab Clan -
  • Kisada's children- Crab Clan

For the moment, I'm keeping tabs on fiction, and not marketing material. Still, the above is useful. I guess when we get to the respective clans, we'll learn more about these characters and how they interrelate like, are Toturi and Arasou brothers this time around?

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

As an Unicorn player, I must say that this setup sounds very-very familiar. I can't pin down why, tho. 

12 hours ago, Himoto said:

Ohhhh, thanks for this. I had missed the brief reference to Yoshi ; glad to see he's back too! :)

I honestly went into reading the fiction knowing it was possible that Shizue, Yoshi, and even Toshimoko to not exist,  so I was pleasantly surprised,  excited even,  to see their names dropped. :D

4 hours ago, HirumaShigure said:

I honestly went into reading the fiction knowing it was possible that Shizue, Yoshi, and even Toshimoko to not exist,  so I was pleasantly surprised,  excited even,  to see their names dropped. :D

There's something exhilarating about that mixture of unknown and familiar.  

I would add one other thing we know about what changed. In the old canon the time before the events of the game began had been refered to as "thousand years of peace" but FFG doesn't do so, but instead talked about thousand years of conflict, which also sets a rather different mood.

2 hours ago, Tetsuro said:

Don't forget to add the part where teenage Toturi drives around in a vintage car listening to the Beastie Boys before he's pulled over by that robot cop.

Wait, does that mean I have to expect now a time-travelling Toku who will try to convince Toturi later that he should be on the throne?

2 minutes ago, Drudenfusz said:

Wait, does that mean I have to expect now a time-travelling Toku who will try to convince Toturi later that he should be on the throne?

We can only hope!