Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
itzSteve

Commander Leia and existing command tokens

63 posts in this topic

Not to rehash the previous discussion of Commander Leia and whether a matching command token can stack or not...

I have a separate question:

Let's say I have a GR-75 with a nav token on it. The next command it reveals is a squadron command. With Leia's ability, the GR-75 can now activate 3 squads. If the GR-75 decides to do this, does it have to discard the nav token it has banked from a previous round since it can only hold one command token and you activated a third squadron as if you had a squadron token?

That is the case if the flotilla had Ray Antiles on board. 

Can you give us the wording on the Leia card.

With the known wording of Leia, you use your command dial with the effect of a command dial and token

She doesn't actually grant a token.

That's why there's the question on wether you can stack the existing token or wether it has an effect.

If she merely granted a token, the question would be moot :)

Green Knight likes this

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

With the known wording of Leia, you use your command dial with the effect of a command dial and token

She doesn't actually grant a token.

That's why there's the question on wether you can stack the existing token or wether it has an effect.

If she merely granted a token, the question would be moot :)

This is why I fall into the command token cannot stack camp. They cannot stack as you cannot have two tokens of the same type on a ship. So, from my question, a ship cannot have a additional command token as you are using her abiltiy "as if" you had a token and the token would be replaced by the same token. But, if they are going to keep Leia's ability separate from command tokens (which I think was their intent), then I think any command tokens a ship may have at the time will be unaffected as her card states that you cannot use any "other" commands this turn.

Green Knight likes this

17 minutes ago, itzSteve said:

This is why I fall into the command token cannot stack camp. They cannot stack as you cannot have two tokens of the same type on a ship. So, from my question, a ship cannot have a additional command token as you are using her abiltiy "as if" you had a token and the token would be replaced by the same token. But, if they are going to keep Leia's ability separate from command tokens (which I think was their intent), then I think any command tokens a ship may have at the time will be unaffected as her card states that you cannot use any "other" commands this turn.

The question with Leia is not wether you can stack two tokens - You can't.  That's not part of the argument.

The question is, when the rules give you wording on how to resolve a dial and a token, are you allowed to fill in the gap on your own to include a dial and two tokens for double the token effect without being specifically told to...

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

The question with Leia is not wether you can stack two tokens - You can't.  That's not part of the argument.

The question is, when the rules give you wording on how to resolve a dial and a token, are you allowed to fill in the gap on your own to include a dial and two tokens for double the token effect without being specifically told to...

But isn't using a additional command token, even if it is the same as the dial, "another" command? If so, then Leia's ability cannot be used.

Edited by itzSteve

12 minutes ago, itzSteve said:

But isn't using a additional command token, even if it is the same as the dial, "another" command? If so, then Leia's ability cannot be used.

Short Answer:  "We don't know."

You can combine 1, because the rules say you can combine one...   Because its only been theoretically able to combine one.  You never explicitly had an opportunity to combine the two.

Perhaps you can combine two, but we're just not told how without guidance/errata.

Furthermore, you're only actually resolving a dial, and getting the bonus as if  you had resolved a dial+token.

I mean, that's the tricky part about it...  You can take a hard line RAW countenance, and look at the game through nothing but precedence and such when no rule exists - and its something I normally advocate you do on on a first pass...   But I'll point out here, starting with her actual wording:

"When a friendly ship resolves a command by spending a command dial, if it has not yet resolved another command this round, it may resolve that command as if it spent a matching command token. If it does, that ship may not resolve another command this round."

To put this in logical parlance, the difference between the two interpretations is the difference between IF and IFF.

"When a friendly ship resolves a command by spending a command dial"

Does that mean, when you simply spend the dial, or when you spend the dial as part and parcel of also spending the dial and token ?  Because spending a dial and token still requisites spending the dial.

To be fair:  I want Leia to allow you to stack the token on.  I really do.  I don't see it happening, because, its **** good.  **** good...  

But to answer your original question - A Leia-enhanced ship, when it gets its greater effect, never actually gains a token that is automatically spent.  It just gains the effect of doing so, without actually doing so.  When it does so, there is no intrinsic effect that has happened at all with the pre-existing tokens on the ship.
(The trigger for having to discard tokens, for example, is gaining a token.  If no token is gained, none can be lost)

Tokra likes this

45 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

You don't have to discard existing token.

You can't stack Leia and a token.

Call it foresight if you will.

Or Admonition...:P

Ardaedhel likes this

1 hour ago, itzSteve said:

Not to rehash the previous discussion of Commander Leia and whether a matching command token can stack or not...

I have a separate question:

Let's say I have a GR-75 with a nav token on it. The next command it reveals is a squadron command. With Leia's ability, the GR-75 can now activate 3 squads. If the GR-75 decides to do this, does it have to discard the nav token it has banked from a previous round since it can only hold one command token and you activated a third squadron as if you had a squadron token?

I'm going with "you don't have to discard the token." nuLeia's text doesn't grant/give an actual token so you would never have two command tokens on your one command value ship. By the same logic nuLeia would not trigger any effects based on gaining a command token. 

Posted (edited)

Leia is the same cost as Tarkin, yes?
As it stands she has the same value as Tarkin, but works pretty much the same just in a different way. 

If she allows dial+token, in addition to her allowing the ship to resolve as if it had a token, she will be way way undercosted. And it will add even more ability to use Squadrons to the Rebels, which is just what they need. :)

Edited by TheEasternKing

16 hours ago, Green Knight said:

It makes no sense for Leia to enable a dial+ token+ token effect.

And with that I've repeated myself, so I'll leave you to it.

I'm certainly not making any argument that the nuLeia effect should stack with an already held token. 

1 hour ago, TheEasternKing said:

Leia is the same cost as Tarkin, yes?
As it stands she has the same value as Tarkin, but works pretty much the same just in a different way. 

If she allows dial+token, in addition to her allowing the ship to resolve as if it had a token, she will be way way undercosted. And it will add even more ability to use Squadrons to the Rebels, which is just what they need. :)

Well at least they won't be zombies. 

On 5/17/2017 at 11:17 AM, itzSteve said:

Not according to the FAQ.

pg 5 of FAQ 3.22:

COMMANDS
Q: When a ship spends a command dial and token of the same
type, does that count as one resolution of that command?

A: Yes.

On 5/17/2017 at 1:56 PM, Green Knight said:

It makes no sense for Leia to enable a dial+ token+ token effect.

And with that I've repeated myself, so I'll leave you to it.

Ok, it might not make sense, but I see no reason without further clarification that it wouldn't work.  Look at Leia's text:

"When a friendly ship resolves a command by spending a command dial, if it has not yet resolved another command this round, it may resolve that command as if it spent a matching command token. If it does, that ship may not resolve another command this round."

You are limited to one command when you use Leia's ability.  She does not give you a token she gives you a bonus for the command dial you've chosen.  If you happen to have a token of the same kind the only thing to stop you from using it would be if that were considered resolving another command.  As was pointed out earlier matching dials and tokens are the same command.

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

pg 5 of FAQ 3.22:

COMMANDS
Q: When a ship spends a command dial and token of the same
type, does that count as one resolution of that command?

A: Yes.

This really does seem pretty clear when taking into account

dial + token = 1 command

and Leia gives you a bonus to the dial.  So it ends up being

BonusLeiaDial + token = 1 command

This may well be an oversight in the wording of the card, but as it is worded there is nothing restricting the use of the token.

1 minute ago, durandal343 said:

Ok, it might not make sense, but I see no reason without further clarification that it wouldn't work.  Look at Leia's text:

You are limited to one command when you use Leia's ability.  She does not give you a token she gives you a bonus for the command dial you've chosen.  If you happen to have a token of the same kind the only thing to stop you from using it would be if that were considered resolving another command.  As was pointed out earlier matching dials and tokens are the same command.

This really does seem pretty clear when taking into account

dial + token = 1 command

and Leia gives you a bonus to the dial.  So it ends up being

BonusLeiaDial + token = 1 command

This may well be an oversight in the wording of the card, but as it is worded there is nothing restricting the use of the token.

That's how I'm reading it, yeah.

dial + token = 1 command

Leia (which acts as if you were spending a dial + token) + token = 1 command

Except if you resolve a dial + token, then Leia doesn’t trigger.

Since you resolved a dial+token ... not a dial.

“Resolves a Command by spending a dial ...”

not “treats dials as dial + token “ 

in order for her t do anything, you must resolve a command by spending a dial. No more, no less.

Edited by Drasnighta

It's not Leia's wording that restrains you from resolving an extra token.  It's the fact that the effect of doing so is undefined in the RRG.  The RRG explicitly defines three command effects, and only three:

1.)  Spending a dial
2.)  Spending a token
3.)  Spending a dial and a token

The RRG does not define the effects of spending a second token, nor does it specify dial+token+token to be a single command resolution.  Neither does Leia. 

It's pretty easy to speculate what the result of doing so would probably be, but there is no current rules basis allowing you to do it or defining the result.

This is all in the relevant thread that's linked in OP, and you would be better off putting in your $.02 there if you don't think it's sufficiently discussed there.

Edit:  I swear you follow me around and click post immediately before I do, Dras.  The last post was an hour ago, and I still got ninja'd by like a minute!

Edited by Ardaedhel
Megatronrex likes this

1 hour ago, Snipafist said:

@Ardaedhel and @Drasnighta are completely correct. The RRG gives you three methods for resolving one command: a dial, a token, and a dial+token. A dial+token+token is not an option and you can only resolve a command once per activation, so trying to resolve dial+token+token is illegal.

I wrote a lot about the subject a while ago, if anyone is interested.

I understand there’s another thread where this should be discussed but your logic doesn’t follow here.  Leia + token is not two tokens.  @Drasnighta had the best logic with resolving a command plus a token is not the same as resolving a command alone and Leia calls for resolving a command dial.  The question isn’t whether there’s a game mechanic for resolving two tokens, it’s whether Leias text can trigger if you choose to resolve a dial and a token, which count as one command.  I would argue that her text only considers if you’ve spent a dial and doesn’t care if there is an accompanying token.  It is not clear and until it is there is a way to argue that any time you spend a dial, even if it is with an accompanying token, Leia will be valid.

The argument from @Drasnighta is the closest to convincing me this isn’t the case but I still feel the card does not negate my line of thinking.  And I am very sure it’s not spending two tokens, it’s just a beefed up command dial.

Her text does not let you use her ability when you resolve a command by spending a token alone, which is why it reads 'by spending a dial'

I say all this realizing that I could be very wrong but nothing I’ve seen makes me think I can’t spend a token with Leia.

Edited by durandal343

26 minutes ago, durandal343 said:

I understand there’s another thread where this should be discussed but your logic doesn’t follow here.  Leia + token is not two tokens.  @Drasnighta had the best logic with resolving a command plus a token is not the same as resolving a command alone and Leia calls for resolving a command dial.  The question isn’t whether there’s a game mechanic for resolving two tokens, it’s whether Leias text can trigger if you choose to resolve a dial and a token, which count as one command.  I would argue that her text only considers if you’ve spent a dial and doesn’t care if there is an accompanying token.  It is not clear and until it is there is a way to argue that any time you spend a dial, even if it is with an accompanying token, Leia will be valid.

The argument from @Drasnighta is the closest to convincing me this isn’t the case but I still feel the card does not negate my line of thinking.  And I am very sure it’s not spending two tokens, it’s just a beefed up command dial.

Her text does not let you use her ability when you resolve a command by spending a token alone, which is why it reads 'by spending a dial'

I say all this realizing that I could be very wrong but nothing I’ve seen makes me think I can’t spend a token with Leia.

Then tell me.

Which of these 3 are you resolving when you have this theoretical Dial, Token, Token effect:

A Token

A Dial

A Dial and a Token

ovinomanc3r likes this