ArbitraryNerd

Current Meta Unit Review?

Has anyone created a review of each faction's units for the current meta? I'd love to see an ongoing thread that tracks this as new releases come out, though I'm mostly asking for selfish purposes because I sometimes have a hard time identifying what is actually a good character based on what's on the card (but I don't play skirmish regularly yet, so I know that's just a part of the growing pains). I'd love to see some more practiced opinions, though, and I think it could, overall, be healthy for the community.

Bonus if it includes reasons to purchase the expansion, even if it's a lackluster unit (command cards or current map rotation, for example).

You know, I don't think I've seen anything like this on here, actually.  Surprisingly.  

There's the Boardwars rankings, but it doesn't necessarily keep the current meta in count, and it's more just for the blister packs anyway.  It would be pretty interesting to see someone attempt this.

2 hours ago, subtrendy said:

You know, I don't think I've seen anything like this on here, actually.  Surprisingly.  

There's the Boardwars rankings, but it doesn't necessarily keep the current meta in count, and it's more just for the blister packs anyway.  It would be pretty interesting to see someone attempt this.

I'm happy to begin to compile, but I'd be basing my information strictly from what I can garner from conversation here, tournament rankings, and that which is already apparent, as I don't play Skirmish competitively at this time.

I'm slowly getting there, mind, it's just not as popular in my area and X-Wing is my go-to game (because of its booming popularity in my area).

But this is a project that interests me, one way or the other.

I did one a couple months ago. 

I'd like to give the new units some time to settle into the meta before I post another one.  It's hard to tell exactly how strong everything is until people have had time to learn how the units interact with different figures.  If I had to guess right now:

Top Tier:
BT-1
Hera
Viable:
eJawa
rJawa
Chopper
Not Great:
0-0-0

But I haven't seen these units enough to know yet.

1 hour ago, brettpkelly said:

I'd like to give the new units some time to settle into the meta before I post another one.  It's hard to tell exactly how strong everything is until people have had time to learn how the units interact with different figures.  If I had to guess right now:

Top Tier:
BT-1
Hera
Viable:
eJawa
rJawa
Chopper
Not Great:
0-0-0

in wich tier do you put vader with Driven by Hatred? 

8 minutes ago, naitsirk said:

in wich tier do you put vader with Driven by Hatred? 

I have a feeling that Heart of the Empire will shake up the meta a whole lot.  I think Vader with Driven by Hatred will be top tier, I'm personally very excited to put him in some lists.  Only time will tell though.

Using those tiers, this is how I'd personally rate units in campaign.  I should probably adjust this list a little, as I currently don't differentiate between regular and elite units.  Also, since hero tiers already have a thread, I'm leaving them out.

A couple things to keep in mind with this:  First, I haven't played all allies/villains yet, but I've run scenarios with them.  That being said, even for units that I have played, this game is extremely situational.  While I have ugnaughts ranked pretty low right now because I've had very little luck with them in the past, it could be a whole other issue if I ran them alongside Armored Onslaught in my current RtH campaign.  So, if someone disagrees with where I've placed something, I totally get that.  In fact, I don't think it's even possible to have a wholly subjective list like this.  

Also, just to reiterate... this specific list is for campaign only.

Top Tier

Nexu

Trandoshan Hunter

Hired Guns

Bantha Rider

HK Droids

Gamorreans

Jabba

Royal Guard

Stormtrooper

Imp Officer

Snowtroopers

ISB Infiltrators

Jet Troopers

Royal Guard Champion

Agent Blaise

Grand Inquisitor

Terro

BT-1

Triple 0

Echo Base Troopers

R2-D2

C-3P0

Leia

Kenobi

Jedi Luke

Hera

Viable

Tusken Raiders

Wampa

Wing Guard

Rancor

Weequay

Jawa

IG-88

Dengar

Bossk

Greedo

E-Web Engineer

Probe Droid

Heavy Troopers

Repulsor Tank

Darth Vader

Rebel Saboteurs

Wookie Warriors

Alliance Smuggler

Luke Skywalker

Lando

Not Great

Ugnaught

Boba Fett

AT-ST

Kayn Somos

General Weiss

General Sorin

Rebel Troopers

Alliance Rangers

Han Solo

Chewbacca

2 minutes ago, subtrendy said:

Using those tiers, this is how I'd personally rate units in campaign.  I should probably adjust this list a little, as I currently don't differentiate between regular and elite units.  Also, since hero tiers already have a thread, I'm leaving them out.

A couple things to keep in mind with this:  First, I haven't played all allies/villains yet, but I've run scenarios with them.  That being said, even for units that I have played, this game is extremely situational.  While I have ugnaughts ranked pretty low right now because I've had very little luck with them in the past, it could be a whole other issue if I ran them alongside Armored Onslaught in my current RtH campaign.  So, if someone disagrees with where I've placed something, I totally get that.  In fact, I don't think it's even possible to have a wholly subjective list like this.  

Also, just to reiterate... this specific list is for campaign only.

Top Tier

Nexu

Trandoshan Hunter

Hired Guns

Bantha Rider

HK Droids

Gamorreans

Jabba

Royal Guard

Stormtrooper

Imp Officer

Snowtroopers

ISB Infiltrators

Jet Troopers

Royal Guard Champion

Agent Blaise

Grand Inquisitor

Terro

BT-1

Triple 0

Echo Base Troopers

R2-D2

C-3P0

Leia

Kenobi

Jedi Luke

Hera

Viable

Tusken Raiders

Wampa

Wing Guard

Rancor

Weequay

Jawa

IG-88

Dengar

Bossk

Greedo

E-Web Engineer

Probe Droid

Heavy Troopers

Repulsor Tank

Darth Vader

Rebel Saboteurs

Wookie Warriors

Alliance Smuggler

Luke Skywalker

Lando

Not Great

Ugnaught

Boba Fett

AT-ST

Kayn Somos

General Weiss

General Sorin

Rebel Troopers

Alliance Rangers

Han Solo

Chewbacca

I think a lot of the campaign units are heavily dependent on the class deck you're playing, the mission objective, and how far into the campaign you are.  I found the Rancor to be top tier in the mid campaign, especially in missions where there is a tight time limit for the rebels.  stormtroopers are great in the early campaign, but pretty much fodder by the end.  If you're playing Hutt Mercenaries, regular Hired Guns are the best units in the game hands down.

6 minutes ago, brettpkelly said:

I think a lot of the campaign units are heavily dependent on the class deck you're playing, the mission objective, and how far into the campaign you are.  I found the Rancor to be top tier in the mid campaign, especially in missions where there is a tight time limit for the rebels.  stormtroopers are great in the early campaign, but pretty much fodder by the end.  If you're playing Hutt Mercenaries, regular Hired Guns are the best units in the game hands down.

Absolutely.  I really cannot stress enough how subjective my list is.

2 hours ago, brettpkelly said:

Top Tier:
BT-1
Hera
Viable:
eJawa
rJawa
Chopper
Not Great:
0-0-0

That's a good read, but I was actually hoping something that addressed every unit, even the underperforming ones. Even a quick, "Why it's not used," can be valuable intel.

Your info is more or less what I'm looking for, though, in terms of critique, maybe with some additional consideration for map rotation etc...

It'd be nice to have a living document for this when folks are trying to jump into IA.

4 minutes ago, ArbitraryNerd said:

That's a good read, but I was actually hoping something that addressed every unit, even the underperforming ones. Even a quick, "Why it's not used," can be valuable intel.

Your info is more or less what I'm looking for, though, in terms of critique, maybe with some additional consideration for map rotation etc...

It'd be nice to have a living document for this when folks are trying to jump into IA.

I can definitely try to put something like that together.

2 hours ago, brettpkelly said:

I can definitely try to put something like that together.

A living document would be awesome - a "tips and tricks" kind of thing. And Like Arbitrary said, even if you point out tips for a lesser used unit, you never know when something said there will click with something new down the line and open up a new crazy strong thing!

eJets and Terro are both very good units, but inconsistent, because they have no rerolls. I had games, where Terro did nothing, because I didn't roll good enough. Last time was a semifinal game of a regional, which I lost because of this. This is so frustrating. I will not use him again anytime soon.

As an addition to your list:

Top Tier:
BT-1 (if he has a Targeting Computer)

19 hours ago, Masterchiefspiff said:

A living document would be awesome - a "tips and tricks" kind of thing. And Like Arbitrary said, even if you point out tips for a lesser used unit, you never know when something said there will click with something new down the line and open up a new crazy strong thing!

It can also double as a purchase list -- "Competitive = No, because..." "Purchase = Yes, because [Name] Command Card...".

We eventually buy everything, I think, but it helps people get addicted if they know the best things to grab first.

@Theaficionado really enjoy your review! Can't wait for the part II.

I'm too excited about driven by hatred and the other 2 upgrades in heart of the empire.. What do you think about the other 2 upgrades? Han and chewie? Han and boba? Han-chewie together and boba?¿ not boba hahaha can't wait

I have a suspicion it will be Chewie and Boba. I don't think they'll do a Han and Chewie fix on the same card, and as much as it would make sense to both of them in one box, I have a feeling they'll do one for each faction.

I expect that Chewie will get a fix in the same way Vader did, one that will lower his cost dramatically while also improving him overall. Boba, I expect, will just get stronger but maintain the 13 point cost. He's the most fearsome bounty hunter in the galaxy; how could he not be stronger than IG-88?

I have no idea what to expect in regards to the specifics of the changes though. I think all of the speculation about Vader was way off, and nobody could have possibly imagined Driven by Hatred (except @cnemmick, apparently). This next wave needs to be here. Now.

Edited by theaficionado

3 hours ago, Chetote said:

Very nice review, @theaficionado, this is exactly the kind of unit review everyone in this community wanted, and many noobs like me needed. Keep up the good work! ;)

P.S. You forgot about the wampas... (New tier V?)

Thanks for your kind words! :) Glad to be of help!

Whoops! I'll get them in there later on tonight!

And hey, if you think Wampas are awful, I'd love to point you to my nationals report for last year, where I actually played a wampa in my winning list. ;)http://atgn.com.au/imperial-assault-nationals-report-preparation/

Edited by theaficionado

On 5/19/2017 at 6:39 PM, theaficionado said:

I have no idea what to expect in regards to the specifics of the changes though. I think all of the speculation about Vader was way off, and nobody could have possibly imagined Driven by Hatred. This next wave needs to be here. Now.

Actually, there was at least one person who was pretty close (I forget who, but it's in a thread somewhere...). But that's sort of to be expected - when you have enough people guessing, odds are one of them will hit pretty close to the mark :D

6 hours ago, Stompburger said:

Actually, there was at least one person who was pretty close (I forget who, but it's in a thread somewhere...). But that's sort of to be expected - when you have enough people guessing, odds are one of them will hit pretty close to the mark :D

Just here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tSo0jH4u_q1OZitrGSj_m_IH-rGe1gieuVCjngVdgMk/edit?usp=sharing

The igg 88 fix looks very similar too (in mechanics) 

The guy is in this forum, named cnemmick. I also like the idea of improve the command card "lord of the sith" that is a little overcosted by the bonus actually gives to vader, more since he can't brutality to gain 2 actions per 1.

Edited by naitsirk