Sign in to follow this  
Rettere

Nerf Red Dices

I don't know why you don't like this idea; maybe it is because I had typos but typos will happen ; I have been telling everyone in my meta the game was going in this direction (dice dominated) but everyone tells me "dice are fine"; I am open minded maybe the problem is not red dice at all but it could be blue or black; it is just easier to errata red dice; which dice do you think are OP and have you considered the calculus of angles when determining distribution/deviation of rebel vs. Imperial?

If Dice is plural then what's the plural for Dices? Red or otherwise. 

FFG could issue a red pen and we could all colour in one of the hits on each one. But I'm happy with them the way they are: fickle, and occasionally double hit-tastic. 

No, what we need is to introduce a new color of dice.

Here's my pitch- Green dice. Their range would be medium range, plus one entire range ruler.

• hit
  • hit/accuracy
  • Two hits
  • crit
  • crit/accuracy
  • blank
  • blank
  • blank
  • squadron

The new squadron facing does one damage, and then allows you to immediately make one attack with the target squadron as if it was under your control, but has no effect and deals no damage against ships.

Green dice are nine-sided associahedrons rather than d8s, for balance reasons.

Edited by svelok

Finally!  Someone else who recognizes Red Dice Superiority over the Blues and Blacks of the World.  Bigger threats!  Bigger guns!  Double Hits (12.5% of the time!)! 

What we really need to do is nerf black hit/crit to properly punish players for bringing silly close range weapons.  Blue doesn't have any doubles and can stay as they are.

And we could change B-Wing, Y-Wing, Named X-Wing, and TIE Bombers to Red anti-capital ship dice too, to accommodate the nerfed black dice!  And probably some other squadrons too!

1 hour ago, BiggsIRL said:

And we could change B-Wing, Y-Wing, Named X-Wing, and TIE Bombers to Red anti-capital ship dice too, to accommodate the nerfed black dice!  And probably some other squadrons too!

Now.. you may be being sarcastic... but I've never thought of that before.  One way to put some power back to ships and away from bombers would be to give them red dice.  It will never happen but it just might balance out the ridiculous bomber balls.  I feel like a squad bombing has no business doing as much damage as the b-wings do.  I love using them... but the damage output can be a bit much sometimes I feel.

Ok guys some great ideas here but just some thoughts;

we should avoid green dices because so many people have trauma from Xwing green dices; also if you rearrange Michael Gernes's last name it spells Greens so they would be very OP dices;

but I still really like the idea of green dices so maybe if we just roll a d6 every time a red dice gets a double hit but then it has 6 more options in the d6 this will be statistically close to the green dices idea (statistics is never so accurate but you know close enough is good enough);;

i am working on a mathematical proof to show red dices are OP, I have derived a secret formula that factors in range and arc to calculate the Normalized Unit of Dices Equivalency; this is what I meant when I asked if you have done the calculus of arcs as it clearly shows red dices are superior;

it is equal to;

SUM<all dices on ship card> : (nunber of dices of a color) * range factor(1 for short, 2 for Med, 3 for long) * degrees of arc for that dice)

so for examples the front arc of a corvette is approximately 50 degrees (I lost my protractor so sue me lol) so the Normalized Unit of Dices Equivalency for it is 2 red Dices * range factor of 3 * 50 degrees + 1 blue dice * range factor of 2 * 50 degrees = 400

compare that to a gladiator side arc which is only like 4*1*90 = 360 and clearly red dices are superior (?) but I am not a math wizard and I lost my protractor so (a) sue me lol and (b) I will rely on the other math geniuses on the forum to help me with the rest of my calculus!

wow long post and I forgot to even mention my idea to balance rieken by incorporate call of Cthulhu insanity rules to determine if Rieeken goes insane and you have to flip his card to the insane side and use a different crazy power !

what do you think!

Edited by Rettere

3 hours ago, svelok said:

Here's my pitch- Green dice. Their range would be medium range, plus one entire range ruler.

• hit
  • hit/accuracy
  • Two hits
  • crit
  • crit/accuracy
  • blank
  • blank
  • blank
  • squadron

The new squadron facing does one damage, and then allows you to immediately make one attack with the target squadron as if it was under your control, but has no effect and deals no damage against ships.

I actually would be on board with a 4th dice type on certain potential future ships (those equipped with proton weapons most likely). Obviously, those dice and the rules for them should be packaged with those ships.

'Dices' may be acceptable pluralisation in Armada because the game features several types.

You roll 3 red dice.

Then you roll 2 blue dice.

Then, much as you may have tasted the spaghettis of Italy and the breads of France along with all the fishes of the sea, you have rolled some of the dices of Armada.

So there, grammar-Nazis :D

7 hours ago, Rettere said:

Guys I think red dices are OP all lists I. Worlds top 4 used red dices, can FFG plz errata to have one less hit face on red dices?

Please sent me the red dice you are complaining about in the post, I will sent you mine in return, they appear to have 8 blank sides. I'm sure you'll be happy with the trade.

Edited by Ma22a

13 hours ago, Rettere said:

Guys I think red dices are OP all lists I. Worlds top 4 used red dices, can FFG plz errata to have one less hit face on red dices?

no

11 hours ago, svelok said:

• hit
  • hit/accuracy
  • Two hits
  • crit
  • crit/accuracy
  • blank
  • blank
  • blank
  • squadron

This is just crazy. We already have green dice. The game is called X-wing

If you are having problems with your dice, here's an easy fix. I'll list the top 5

1. Nuke them in the microwave

2. ignore them like you're ignoring your wife and kids

3. Tell them how much you love them and sleep with them before big games and tournaments. This will help you bond with them.

4. Slingshots. These make great projectiles!

5. My favorite. Pack them in a cannon and launch them.

But seriously. Why are we crying about nerfing red dice? What you need to do is not complain and learn better tactics to not get you involved in so much trouble. I'm playing in a conflict right now. I agree about the red dice but the only way to solve the problem is fly better and learn how to set up screens to give yourself tactical advantages so you use your red dice first against your opponent! 

44 minutes ago, cjk1975 said:

no

Here he didn't get the joke.

44 minutes ago, cjk1975 said:

This is just crazy. We already have green dice. The game is called X-wing

Here he realized that there was something wrong with people's posts.

39 minutes ago, cjk1975 said:

If you are having problems with your dice, here's an easy fix. I'll list the top 5

1. Nuke them in the microwave

2. ignore them like you're ignoring your wife and kids

3. Tell them how much you love them and sleep with them before big games and tournaments. This will help you bond with them.

4. Slingshots. These make great projectiles!

5. My favorite. Pack them in a cannon and launch them.

Here it seems he finally got it, but...

40 minutes ago, cjk1975 said:

But seriously. Why are we crying about nerfing red dice? What you need to do is not complain and learn better tactics to not get you involved in so much trouble. I'm playing in a conflict right now. I agree about the red dice but the only way to solve the problem is fly better and learn how to set up screens to give yourself tactical advantages so you use your red dice first against your opponent! 

No, he didn't get it.

:P

9 hours ago, Rettere said:

Ok guys some great ideas here but just some thoughts;

we should avoid green dices because so many people have trauma from Xwing green dices; also if you rearrange Michael Gernes's last name it spells Greens so they would be very OP dices;

but I still really like the idea of green dices so maybe if we just roll a d6 every time a red dice gets a double hit but then it has 6 more options in the d6 this will be statistically close to the green dices idea (statistics is never so accurate but you know close enough is good enough);;

i am working on a mathematical proof to show red dices are OP, I have derived a secret formula that factors in range and arc to calculate the Normalized Unit of Dices Equivalency; this is what I meant when I asked if you have done the calculus of arcs as it clearly shows red dices are superior;

it is equal to;

SUM<all dices on ship card> : (nunber of dices of a color) * range factor(1 for short, 2 for Med, 3 for long) * degrees of arc for that dice)

so for examples the front arc of a corvette is approximately 50 degrees (I lost my protractor so sue me lol) so the Normalized Unit of Dices Equivalency for it is 2 red Dices * range factor of 3 * 50 degrees + 1 blue dice * range factor of 2 * 50 degrees = 400

compare that to a gladiator side arc which is only like 4*1*90 = 360 and clearly red dices are superior (?) but I am not a math wizard and I lost my protractor so (a) sue me lol and (b) I will rely on the other math geniuses on the forum to help me with the rest of my calculus!

wow long post and I forgot to even mention my idea to balance rieken by incorporate call of Cthulhu insanity rules to determine if Rieeken goes insane and you have to flip his card to the insane side and use a different crazy power !

what do you think!

I'm no math wizard (far from it!) but you're missing the potential damage each die has. . . perhaps multiply the sum (400 or 360 in your example) by the expected average damage you would get from the dice? That may even out the numbers and assuage your fears. 

I mean, I have never found Red dice to be OP, but then again I seldom fly ships with red dice. . . hmmm, maybe that's why I lose??

1 hour ago, cjk1975 said:

But seriously. Why are we crying about nerfing red dice? What you need to do is not complain and learn better tactics to not get you involved in so much trouble. 

Who is crying; not me; I have made a very rationale suggestion to NERF red DICES because they are OP as can be PROVEN by MATH;

frankly it is highly offensive to claim real SCIENCE and MATH is nothing but CRYING and tell me to learn better tactic when it is plain that the better tactic is just to USE MORE RED DICES or NERF ALL RED DICES?!!  ;;

that said now that I am calmed down I will thank the person who sugested a special FFG brand red pen to color in the extra UNNEEDED and MATHEMATICALLY OP hit face on the red dices; for when the inevitable errata to red dices is issued it will only be tournament legal if changed with official FFG pen;;

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Here he didn't get the joke.

Here he realized that there was something wrong with people's posts.

Here it seems he finally got it, but...

No, he didn't get it.

:P

It was early and I had zero caffeine. I did get it. My entire post was sarcasm. 

34 minutes ago, Rettere said:

Who is crying; not me; I have made a very rationale suggestion to NERF red DICES because they are OP as can be PROVEN by MATH;

frankly it is highly offensive to claim real SCIENCE and MATH is nothing but CRYING and tell me to learn better tactic when it is plain that the better tactic is just to USE MORE RED DICES or NERF ALL RED DICES?!!  ;;

that said now that I am calmed down I will thank the person who sugested a special FFG brand red pen to color in the extra UNNEEDED and MATHEMATICALLY OP hit face on the red dices; for when the inevitable errata to red dices is issued it will only be tournament legal if changed with official FFG pen;;

Calm down killer. I was adding to the current sarcasm of several posts. You must need a hug.

Low-effort troll posts may be fun to write, but the implied opinion here is on-its-face completely wrong. Yep, people are noticing that Rieekan Aces is running away with high-level tournament play today. And people are having a conversation (several conversations, really) about that. It's worlds apart from complaining about dice colors, and I think anyone who considers it for a moment would have to agree with that. The false equivalency seems only meant to mock and annoy people.

Edited by Nostromoid