davidhaus

Store Championships 2017 Results Thread

June 17th @ PBKW in Cornelius, NC.

1st: Bala/Tie Pilot/2x Trooper

2nd: Qui-Gon/Rey

3/4: FN/Dooku and Unkar/FN/Trooper

Edited by jcangel

June 17th @ Junior's Comics in Austin, TX.

Winner: Justin Strickland (me)

1st: Han Solo/Snap Wexley

Runner-up: Max Chang

2nd: Bala/Nines/Royal Guard

3/4: Poe/Maz and Kylo/BabyVader

Edited by jtstrick84

1 hour ago, jtstrick84 said:

Wow would love too see that solo snap list.

9 hours ago, jtstrick84 said:

That is one hell of interesting :P i guess people learned to play vs Moe already :D

Store Champs at ihrysko - Bratislava, Slovakia. 9 person tournament only.

Winner: Marek Sorf (me)

1) Poe/Maz

2) Palpatine

3) Vader (AWK)/Royal Guard

4) Palpatine

Its not representative outcome however due to amount of players. There will be one more store champ this weekend in Prague, where we expect higher playerbase.

Edited by Hennessy

14 hours ago, Vitalis said:

That is one hell of interesting :P i guess people learned to play vs Moe already :D

Yea, Poe/Maz is tough but I actually feel Snap Solo is favored in that matchup as they will likely only have one Poe die for most of the game OR if they win the BF they can't just claim and flip Poe to Special.

Edited by jtstrick84

Paradox Comics N Cards in Fargo ND June 17, 2017.

1st (me) ePoe/eMaz (4-1 Swiss)
2nd eVader/eKylo (5-0 Swiss)
3rd-4th ePalp (4-1 Swiss) 
Unkar/FN/Kylo (4-1 Swiss)

Of the 20(?) or so players, I believe there were 3 Poe/Maz but only one made the cut.

The Game Annex   -   Fort Wayne, IN  June 24,2017 

20 players

1st - Vaider/Raider - Ryan J. (3-1 swiss)

2nd - Poe/Maz - E.J. A. (4-0 swiss)

3-4 - Poe/Maz - Brendon D. (4-0 swiss)

- Vader/Raider - Joel L. (3-1 swiss)

Lots of Vader/Raider, Poe/Maz, Kylo/Vader, a couple Palpatine and a lot of really great games.

June 24th, Saskatoon, SK (Dragon's Den Games)

15 Players

1st: Emo Kids (Baby Vader/Kylo)

2nd: Han Solo/Snap

3rd/4th: Vader/Raider & Poe/Maz.

Only 1 Poe Maz deck, mostly because I don't think enough people owned all the cards to build it. 3 Palpatine decks running around though. (We had a much bigger SOR shipment compared to Awakenings)

Play More Games 6/25/17

Gaithersburg, MD

25 players, 4 rounds top 4 cut Best of 3

Winner:  ePalpatine

Runner-up:  eVader(A)/Raider

Top 4:  eLuke/Rey, eJabba/eUnkar

Edited by Spector1331

In This Issue 6/25/17

Bettendorf, IA

13 players, 4 rounds

Winner: Vader/Raider (4-0)

Runner-up: Han/Rey (3-1, with a bye)

Top4: ePalp and Vader/Raider (3-1)

A small turnout, but another store championship was being run an hour away JUST earlier enough to prevent anyone from going to both.  I ended up 5th with Han/Rey, going 2-2.  I lost to 2 different ePalp builds, including my 10-year old son who finished 3rd.  A little odd that the tournament software counted the bye as a solid win, since I would have thought strength of schedule would make that worth less than a real match.  Regardless, good event and had a lot of fun.  Great to see my 10-year old up there in the winners pic on Facebook with people 2-4x his age. :)  

Edited by Impulse411

The trouble with the bye is it has to have a high SOS in order to not disadvantage the player that gets it at random in round 1 or even round 2 where a player can then play back into the rankings.

That said I think the folks at FFG need to take a good hard look at the tournament system and look at improving the number of rounds and who gets cut to a final 4/8 as to try and limit the effect of SOS. I was at a store championship with 37, our cut to top 4 was made when 1 player had a 5-0 record and 7 players had a 4-1, thus cutting 4 players with SOS being the determination as to who stayed and who went. The players were all pretty good about it, but you could see it stung to be cut one round too early.

7 hours ago, Amanal said:

The trouble with the bye is it has to have a high SOS in order to not disadvantage the player that gets it at random in round 1 or even round 2 where a player can then play back into the rankings.

Exactly!  SOS is great for little, quick friendly tournaments, but I don't like the system of Store Championships and above.  Honestly, the only fair system (to decide first place) is single elimination (or a short round robin followed by single elimination with few or no cuts).

I've always liked the idea of 3 round robin games to create an initial ranking.  Then move into single elimination by creating a tournament tree much like you see in the playoffs of professional sports. Those that make it to the quarter finals are in the top 4.  Might take more time, but there is no doubt about who moves on and who does not. 

Atomic Empire - Durham, NC - June 24, 2017

21 Registered (18 Attending so we had 4 people effectively get byes in the first round)

1st - Unkar/FN-2199/Trooper

2nd - Vader/Raider(me)

3rd/4th - Vader/Raider & Qui-Gon/Rey

I honestly didn't see any Poe/Maz decks at all. I feel like there was a pretty good spread of different deck types present, with nothing standing out as overrepresented.

On 6/26/2017 at 8:17 AM, Stone37 said:

Exactly!  SOS is great for little, quick friendly tournaments, but I don't like the system of Store Championships and above.  Honestly, the only fair system (to decide first place) is single elimination (or a short round robin followed by single elimination with few or no cuts).

I've always liked the idea of 3 round robin games to create an initial ranking.  Then move into single elimination by creating a tournament tree much like you see in the playoffs of professional sports. Those that make it to the quarter finals are in the top 4.  Might take more time, but there is no doubt about who moves on and who does not. 

Isn't the Store Championships Swiss(or "round robin") followed by a single elimination Top Cut with best of 3 matches? I mean, I know that's what it said in the documentation for the event, at least for more than 16 players. And Idk about you, but the single game rounds make these tourneys super fast compared to every other game I've played.

On 6/27/2017 at 0:34 PM, Atomisk said:

Isn't the Store Championships Swiss(or "round robin") followed by a single elimination Top Cut with best of 3 matches? I mean, I know that's what it said in the documentation for the event, at least for more than 16 players. And Idk about you, but the single game rounds make these tourneys super fast compared to every other game I've played.

Store Champs are best of 1 single elimination after the cut according to the tournament regulations (since it is a basic structure event) no matter how many players.  

In the store championship I TO'd 4 and 5th place was decided by extended strength of schedule.  There were 2  players that went 4-0 and 4 that went 3-1 (20 players at the event).  I feel like they either need another round of swiss or a better way to handle the cut as i would be pretty upset to miss the cut by extended strength of schedule.

38 minutes ago, agentc13 said:

Store Champs are best of 1 single elimination after the cut according to the tournament regulations (since it is a basic structure event) no matter how many players.  

In the store championship I TO'd 4 and 5th place was decided by extended strength of schedule.  There were 2  players that went 4-0 and 4 that went 3-1 (20 players at the event).  I feel like they either need another round of swiss or a better way to handle the cut as i would be pretty upset to miss the cut by extended strength of schedule.

The problem is SOS and the fact that it skews badly when players start dropping from tournaments, it was bad for X-Wing and FFG still decided to use it for destiny. It is particularly bad when playing best of 1 rounds as again variance can really mess things up.

The other issue is that during any given event there will be a group of players on X-1 or X-2 and almost always some will make it and some won't based on whatever tiebreaker you use. That is the reality of tournament play, sure you can feel bad for those that didn’t make it, but the tiebreaker determined that they had easier opponents that the played against so the tiebreaker system give weighting to the players that played against harder players (based on the calculations of the tie breaker system). You go in knowing the rules and play to them and accept your fate when the final standings are posted. Playing extra rounds typically won't actually fix this problem as it tends to just move the cut off point down to the next bracket of players.

Unless you're willing to move to a best of 3 rounds, and multiple tie breakers (like what is used for MTG tournaments) there really isn't a better alternative.

7 minutes ago, Mace Windu said:

Unless you're willing to move to a best of 3 rounds, and multiple tie breakers (like what is used for MTG tournaments) there really isn't a better alternative.

There is a better alternative: Play more games, 7 rounds of Swiss will increase the reliability of the best players (in a 32 player tournament) being promoted and will cost players a little over an hour more of their time.