Princezilla

Punish me Harder

13 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Has anyone tried Tie Punishers in Epic?

We have and I personally enjoy them. They, like Y-wings, TIE Bombers, T-65 X-wings, TIE fighters, B-Wings, K-Fighters, etc. work well in Epic against one another as long as cancer is kept out (basic top Meta ships). We find, for the points, TIE Bombers are all around better for Epic lists however. Now we did implement Epic "House Rules" to get classics and unused back in the game that help. Here's a few: 1) Punishers get (2) extra munitions tokens on all secondary weapons and can choose 1 round per game where they can make (2) simultaneous secondary weapons in one attack. 2) T-65s may load (1) Torpedo at zero cost. 3) Y-Wings may load Ion Bombs and (1) Extra Munitions token at zero cost. 4) B-Wings may reduce cost of Secondary Weapon upgrades by (3), but if Cannons are added, no other Secondary Weapon may be loaded. 5) A-Wings may add a Proton Rocket at zero cost. 6) Kihraxze just get the GFH upgrade as that's as good as we once had. 7) TIE Bombers may include any Bomb upgrades and reduce each by (3) points and add (1) Extra Munitions token per Bomb Upgrade at zero cost. 8) TIE Fighters may choose once per game where all red dice of TIEs at range one of each other can be rolled at one time as one attack at a single target (now that's a swarm attack, dodge that haha).  

More of an Epic fix than a Punisher buff but I think Epic ships should reduce damage suffered from small or large base primary weapons or turret secondary weapons by 1.  Would incentivize (i spelled that right you dumb forum software) using munitions against capital ships which makes sense.

Punisher only System upgrade: Advanced Munitions Guidance System:  When attacking with a missile or torpedo secondary weapon, the defender may not add evade results to their role.  Take that ya smelly wookiees!

12 hours ago, ABXY said:

I really like how they designed the Star Wing with the different Cannon vs Ordnance variants, so here is a blending various ideas:

TIE/IT-a

TIE Punisher only. Title. 

Once per round when attacking with a [Torpedo] or [Missile] secondary weapon you may discard 1 other [Torpedo] or [Missile] Upgrade card to add one [Critical] result to your roll. 

TIE/IT-s

TIE Punisher only. Title.

When dropping a bomb without the 'Action' header, you must place two of the appropriate tokens. One token must be placed using the 1 [left bank] template and the other token with 1 [right bank] template. 

Extended Launch Tubes

(Bomb) 

TIE/IT-a only. Limited. 

When you equip this card, place 1 ordnance token on each equipped [Torpedo] and [Missile] Upgrade card. When you are instructed to discard an Upgrade card, you may discard an ordnance token on that card instead. 

Expanded Bomb Bay

(Missile) 

TIE/IT-s only. Limited. 

When you equip this card, place 1 ordnance token on each equipped [Bomb] Upgrade card. When you are instructed to discard an Upgrade card, you may discard an ordnance token on that card instead. 

Auto-Reactive Shielding

(System) 

TIE Punisher and B-Wing only 

The first time you are attacked each round, you must assign a Reinforce token to your ship. If the attacker is in your Primary arc it must be a Reinforce Fore token, otherwise it must be a Reinforce Aft token. 

You may equip one additional System Upgrade. 

(but I think this is too much text???) 

Auto-Reactive Shielding might also be a decent system upgrade for any ship with shields. I think giving it a prerequisite of "Small Ship only. Shield Value greater than 1" would be a good requirement, so it not available on the Virago, Upsilon, U-Wing, Ghost, (Scum)Aggressor, or Lambda, but it would be available on the TIE Advanced, Special Forces TIE, G1A, Punisher, B-Wing, TIE Phantom, E-wing and the upcoming TIE Reaper. Thematically, it makes the least sense on an E-wing or Phantom, but every ship it would be available to (with the exception of the Special Forces TIE and the Havoc) could use a little boost.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:50 PM, f0rbiddenc00kie said:

This sums it up well.

Bombers = disposable, cheap, alpha strike (although with Unguided Rockets they make good frontline)
Gunboats = versatile (good burst, sustained, and maneuverability for bargain price)
Punisher = heavy (hard-hitting and durable) and expensive

The way I would go about it is giving Punishers a permanent Reinforce but only in their 90 degree primary firing arc as others have mentioned.  This gives them the durability they need while still allowing them to get outplayed... just flank them to disable their bonus.

But let's be real here... even that won't be enough.  They'll also need something similar to the Vaksai title to lower the cost of all upgrades and/or some form of infinite ordnance like the reload action and/or an EPT on the higher skill pilots.

I've seen a few people suggest that reinforce only work in arc for them but I think that's a mistake, they are already fairly easy to arc dodge so it wouldn't really help them much at all but forcing your opponent to choose between escaping your arc and getting an unreinforced shot has a lot of strategic implications.

On 2/24/2018 at 11:17 PM, Princezilla said:

I've seen a few people suggest that reinforce only work in arc for them but I think that's a mistake, they are already fairly easy to arc dodge so it wouldn't really help them much at all but forcing your opponent to choose between escaping your arc and getting an unreinforced shot has a lot of strategic implications.

It does have a lot of strategic implications.  That's kind of the point?  And... why are you talking it being a bad idea if it's weak to arc-dodging?  The front-arc reinforce is to help the Punisher joust better, to do what it's suppose to do while still being fair.  It's totally cool for it to have a weakness that's not just a stat-check but rather a form of counter-play that an enemy can exploit by simply flying better.  Plus, the ones that arc-dodge generally have lower damage output, so it's usually not going to melt instantly unless you're completely outplayed and flanked by their whole list.