Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

Shuttle Tydirium Episode 53: Gencon sneak peek: Round 2 missions

5899c6ee2abef_ShuttleTydiriumbanner.jpg.

Shuttle Tydirium Episode 53: Gencon sneak peek: Round 2 missions

Listen online HERE

Welcome aboard the Shuttle Tydirium podcast for episode 53!  This week we take a look at the round 2 missions for 'Assault on Grayskull Base', our narrative event at Gencon 2017.  We'll also talk a bit about the Worlds championship for X-wing, including a certain controversial topic...

Captain's Question: 6:15

Round 2 Missions for Gencon: 28:15

Worlds:   1:35:00

Check out detailed info about our Gencon event 'Assault on Grayskull Base' HERE

Check out our background audiodramas for our upcoming gencon event:  "GRAYSKULL"  "Buzz the Line"

Facebook: FACEBOOK

Gmail: the.shuttle.tydirium@gmail.com

Hey - on the topic of Greyskull... GenCon notes this as being a two part event - are these connected events? There wasn't a whole lot of info on the event ticket. Just trying to setup my personal schedule a bit.

Surprised you guys ventured into the controversy... I guess this one really shook the community when even the non-tournament crowd are talking about it.

18 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Hey - on the topic of Greyskull... GenCon notes this as being a two part event - are these connected events? There wasn't a whole lot of info on the event ticket. Just trying to setup my personal schedule a bit.

Surprised you guys ventured into the controversy... I guess this one really shook the community when even the non-tournament crowd are talking about it.

Yeah.....GenCon messed up a bunch of things.   They made it 2 events instead of 1.   They didn't put in all the descriptions, either.   One of our events is missing.   It's.....a big mess.  We are part of 19&One, which is an experienced GenCon group and we aren't the only ones in this boat.    We are hoping to have it worked out on Thursday.     It should be one big event on Saturday.  

As for the controversy, yeah....I didn't care.   Some of the guys wanted to bring it up.  I don't think we spent too much time talking about it.   

21 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Yeah.....GenCon messed up a bunch of things.   They made it 2 events instead of 1.   They didn't put in all the descriptions, either.   One of our events is missing.   It's.....a big mess.  We are part of 19&One, which is an experienced GenCon group and we aren't the only ones in this boat.    We are hoping to have it worked out on Thursday.     It should be one big event on Saturday.  

As for the controversy, yeah....I didn't care.   Some of the guys wanted to bring it up.  I don't think we spent too much time talking about it.   

Don't take it too personally. I've been on that side of the fence at GenCon and yeah, event mishaps happen. I don't really hold it against them, it's really a huge administrative nightmare running an event that large, but frustrating as all heck when your event is screwed up. I did find 19&One without issue so was able to piece things together.  I will note, you guys might need to figure out a contingency plan for player change over for part 2...

Wanted that Sunday 8am Casual Epic - but I need to be the one to check out of the hotel and 8am is way too early with that. Might do the epic ship only event instead - I'll be sad if I can't put one on the table that weekend.

16 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Don't take it too personally. 

Thanks.  When I found out all of 19&One had something messed up, I figured it's bigger than just us.  Still a little frustrating that it might turn off some people who don't know and are planning things now.  Well, it is what it is.  

4 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Thanks.  When I found out all of 19&One had something messed up, I figured it's bigger than just us.  Still a little frustrating that it might turn off some people who don't know and are planning things now.  Well, it is what it is.  

That's the attitude! I could share all kinds of convention mishaps. Somehow on occasion they've sold more tickets for events than there are slots... so we've had to improvise a bit. Just take it in stride and don't let on to the players that things just went horribly off the rails.

5 hours ago, LagJanson said:

That's the attitude! I could share all kinds of convention mishaps. Somehow on occasion they've sold more tickets for events than there are slots... so we've had to improvise a bit. Just take it in stride and don't let on to the players that things just went horribly off the rails.

Yeah, I don't think we have that bad of a situation on our hands.  We're mainly worried that people are going to fill up their schedules without seeing us

2 hours ago, Babaganoosh said:

Yeah, I don't think we have that bad of a situation on our hands.  We're mainly worried that people are going to fill up their schedules without seeing us

I think you will do ok. I'm running a local tournament on the 28th so I'm concerned about getting tickets to the event. You never know how things sell out.

23 hours ago, LagJanson said:

My interest was based more in how would we handle something similar at Gen Con.  I hadn't even considered something like that might happen at our event. 

I'm glad the rest of the crew seemed to like the idea of putting our heads together to collectively determine what is in the best interest of the event and its participants. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, heychadwick said:

Oooo, I hope so.  Didn't plan on being there for Sunday.  Is this something that is being rectified?

Phil's mission idea about Snap's recon run really got my gears turning. 

My thought was to play on 6 x 3 mat with the scenario being the resistance has to feign an attack on a first order base to draw away fighters. While that's happening on the other side of the mat snap must collect 4 satellite tokens to accomplish his recon run. The first order player also gets to place 4 radar tokens on the recon run side which if Snap gets within range 1 of the radars he's detected and now can be attacked by the first order. The radars couldn't be placed within range 2 of the satellite tokens.  Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

38 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

"The lowest-scoring player will receive a special prize."

A year's membership to the Imperial Links Golf Course, where low scores are a good thing.

The prize will be called the "Kirk award".  That may give you an idea of where we're heading for that one :)

40 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Oooo, I hope so.  Didn't plan on being there for Sunday.  Is this something that is being rectified?

The main event is all on Saturday.  On Sunday morning we'll be running some smaller events, such as the Huge Ship Brawl - where you can only play with huge ships.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Sent a pm asking about the post-GenCon future of Grayskull/narrative event in general. Hoping to introduce this locally since I can't go to GenCon.

Generally speaking we were planning to run a web-based campaign after Gencon, and during that to release everything you need to run the event, digitally.  We're also talking about whether we will run this event at Gencon 2018 or elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Merman said:

Phil's mission idea about Snap's recon run really got my gears turning. 

My thought was to play on 6 x 3 mat with the scenario being the resistance has to feign an attack on a first order base to draw away fighters. While that's happening on the other side of the mat snap must collect 4 satellite tokens to accomplish his recon run. The first order player also gets to place 4 radar tokens on the recon run side which if Snap gets within range 1 of the radars he's detected and now can be attacked by the first order. The radars couldn't be placed within range 2 of the satellite tokens.  Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Make sure that the dogfight on the other side of the table from Snap is relevant in some way, not just a side show from where the mission is really being decided.  

Also, it'd be good thematically if you had gradations of victory:  Snap gets his data and isn't tracked, Snap gets the data and is tracked, and Snap gets shot down without getting his data.

About the "wishlist-missions": the mission idea where 2 dreadnoughts are ditching it out and the fighters fly back and forth between them. Why not set up tables as a big H. The two long sides are the dreadnoughts (Home ONe, Star Destroyer or whatever), the connector is a row of tables, this way you avoid the "micro-jumps" from table to table. Would need a hall though, the average LGS will probably not have enough space :)

5 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

About the "wishlist-missions": the mission idea where 2 dreadnoughts are ditching it out and the fighters fly back and forth between them. Why not set up tables as a big H. The two long sides are the dreadnoughts (Home ONe, Star Destroyer or whatever), the connector is a row of tables, this way you avoid the "micro-jumps" from table to table. Would need a hall though, the average LGS will probably not have enough space :)

A mega game might be cool.  It's fairly daunting to organize, though.  The coordination would be pretty tough across so many tables!