Sign in to follow this  
Lobokai

Anyone else feel like FFG is tired of X-Wing already?

1 minute ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Also, FFG's own fanfare around Worlds seemed quite lackluster, especially compared to previous years. 

Last year, even while X-Wing Worlds was still a part of their very busy ALL GAMES World's Championship they streamed far more games with commentary on their Twitch feed.  This year, they streamed very little X-Wing (was it just the final?) and a single game of Armada.  There was very little in the way of projected enthusiasm or hubbub around Worlds, other than "here's the prizes we'll have" article.

Furthermore, the System Open Series events might as well not even happen, given that FFG pays so little attention to them.  They talk up the System Open series and encourage the community to vote on parts of the final squads that will be run by the Champions, yet there's no official news from FFG reporting on the System Open series events or their results.  I couldn't even tell you whether or not the Final System Open Championship has even happened.  I sure as hell don't know who won or what they were flying.

I think this may also contribute to the perceived lack of enthusiasm from FFG.

They streamed the top cut for x-wing IIRC

It seems like this year's season change-up to bring all games in line with each other was something they weren't completely prepared for, in addition to other things mentioned like trying to catch up to demand for Destiny, continuing Runewars TMG, and more.

Very little to say about Worlds and no prize support info almost until Worlds started. They didn't put out their store championship lists for X-Wing or Armada until like two weeks before the store championship season started. Store championship season is currently going out and stores are holding their tourneys, yet FFG still hasn't out out their article detailing the store championship prize support.

7 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

So intolerant of cheaters, in fact, that I believe the work and family of the cheater were contacted as part of some lynch mob's idea of "justice", and the amount of fuss and threats of harassment like that from the community as a whole is disgraceful. Sure he cheated, and he probably didn't get punished as much as he should have nor do we know if the cheated opponent was adequately compensated. But the solution to that is not to descend to mob rule and try to punish the guy in his real life for something that happened in a game.

Not only that, but the reaction to the winning lists and Top 16 (lacking in any appreciation of player skill or interesting list variance and instead jumping right to the 'it's OP nerf it' so often levelled at the Jumpmaster, Lancer, K-Wing, Mindlink in general etc etc) is almost embarassingly childish and, combined with the almost daily new 'nerf x' threads, has rendered this forum almost unbearable.

At the moment, the X-Wing community is not something I'm proud to be a part of.

While RL harassment of that guy is going way too far, this has been done by a few isolated individuals (I hope). The community as a whole simply refused to go along with FFGs attempt to sweep it all under the rug.

Regarding worlds top 16, there is a problem, and people are pointing it out. Never before has a worlds been dominated so hard by a single faction.

On the other hand, the fact that people simply won't let go of certain issues FFG can't or won't solve right now probably makes them somewhat unhappy. Things would be a lot simpler for FFG if people would just enjoy their new shiny things instead of pointing out problems.

8 hours ago, VanderLegion said:

Anyone who doesn't want their worlds promo card is welcome to send it to me.  

Haven't been to US nationals #2 world championships (seriously, either make it an invitational or start doing them in different places each year), but if I snag one at some store champs you can have it for $5 plus shipping. remember the times when you could make $20 on even some quarter kit promos? Good ol' days of aesthetically pleasing and useful promos

Edited by Elavion

7 hours ago, Elavion said:

Haven't been to US nationals #2 world championships (seriously, either make it an invitational or start doing them in different places each year), but if I snag one at some store champs you can have it for $5 plus shipping. remember the times when you could make $20 on even some quarter kit promos? Good ol' days of aesthetically pleasing and useful promos

I'll come back to you on that ;)

My view regarding the tournament prizes and promos, lack of coverage etc. is FFG has started taking their X-Wing playerbase for granted. Basically, they feel like X-Wing has grown so big they don't have to make an effort to draw players in to these events with nice prizes, because people will come anyway. So FFG now is in "give me your money" mode and they simply don't bother.

With each passing day I genuinely wonder more and more if there's a licensing issue with X-Wing and these products are never going to see light of day.

I mean, I'm only up to like a 5% probability of that being true, but it's going up.

43 minutes ago, costi said:

I'll come back to you on that ;)

It was a personalized offer, sorry :P. Though I genuinely doubt it's going to sell for much more.

41 minutes ago, SOTL said:

With each passing day I genuinely wonder more and more if there's a licensing issue with X-Wing and these products are never going to see light of day.

I mean, I'm only up to like a 5% probability of that being true, but it's going up.

My theory is that the person in charge of X-wing marketing hates this game. Maybe they clashed horns with the devs or something.

On 2017-05-15 at 6:03 AM, Lobokai said:

It's been a graveyard for X-Wing anything. I'm all for a slower release cycle. And I get that big things are happening in other games. But at this point I feel deliberately ignored. 

Calm down. 

9 hours ago, Showtimebrad said:

Calm down. 

Oh good lord. I'm not moping around crying while staring out the window wondering when FFG will call back. 

You guys must either be fragile little emotional creatures looking for puppies to kick or game with a far more emo crowd than I thought... I'm surprised that anyone thought I meant this to the extreme you seem to think I meant it, and if you did, why would this be the reaction? 

My job keeps me busy, my family more, but an occasional brief little X-Wing article has been appreciated during the weeks when game time can't happen.  There was a little tongue in cheek there that I apparently didn't communicate 

And by the way, if someone actually was literally depressed or truly worked up, what a bunch of asshats you guys would have been.  If after the Parker drama I didn't view the community as far more petty and vindictive than should be, the snark and cheap shots here were surprisingly visceral. 

Lets not play to the gamer stereotype and jump on every single stumble which such glee. If it hadn't just been a poor choice of words in the OP, but someone with serious over attachment to a TTG, this thread doesn't reflect well on quite a few of you 

14 hours ago, SOTL said:

Given that I watched the IP (an my now dead investment in a game) go from WEG to Decipher to WotC to here, fudge if I'll ever buy another open-ended SW product after FFG.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Given that I watched the IP (an my now dead investment in a game) go from WEG to Decipher to WotC to here, fudge if I'll ever buy another open-ended SW product after FFG.

This is almost a certainty for any licensed game IMO. Sooner or later the license will go to new guys.

Actually i feel the OP. I also got a feeling Xwing has become more of a chore for them (cause it brings sick money) than it was.

-Last wave has not brought any significant ships - all are niche at least, and for now it doesn't look like 11 will be some breaktrough (yea i know tlt for imps but thats just another variation of ThugLife).

-Power creep is real. And it is real, want example? Like a year ago (pre vets) selling any of my ships was a very big no go for me cause i could find use for 90% of them in competetive or semi-competetive lists. A week ago i sold like 70% of my collection and went "nah i still got most playable lists with me - i dont care" and thats maybe....10 ships? 6 of them being big scums lol . Again the strong integration of miniatures and rules is dragging the game down after such a long time.

-The somehow bitter taste after worlds is still there. I mean why spend money to travel around the country, and do my best when official policy is to not even give me win if im cheated (NO, DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS! :) I just wanted to state my feeling not to start another topic about that incident)

-Plus they got very, very strong competition growing. In Poland vast majority of players (myself included) migrated from GW systems. And GW is doing really really good job at claiming territory back with theirs new releases. If feel like some part of X-wing success was failure of GW back in the days.

The game just does not feel what it was anymore.

Edited by Vitalis

4 hours ago, Lobokai said:

Oh good lord. I'm not moping around crying while staring out the window wondering when FFG will call back. 

You guys must either be fragile little emotional creatures looking for puppies to kick or game with a far more emo crowd than I thought... I'm surprised that anyone thought I meant this to the extreme you seem to think I meant it, and if you did, why would this be the reaction? 

My job keeps me busy, my family more, but an occasional brief little X-Wing article has been appreciated during the weeks when game time can't happen.  There was a little tongue in cheek there that I apparently didn't communicate 

And by the way, if someone actually was literally depressed or truly worked up, what a bunch of asshats you guys would have been.  If after the Parker drama I didn't view the community as far more petty and vindictive than should be, the snark and cheap shots here were surprisingly visceral. 

Lets not play to the gamer stereotype and jump on every single stumble which such glee. If it hadn't just been a poor choice of words in the OP, but someone with serious over attachment to a TTG, this thread doesn't reflect well on quite a few of you 

Lol how much time did you spend writing that... btw I didn't even read it 

7 hours ago, Lobokai said:

A bit of an overreaction, don't you think? You asked a fairly daft question with a personal, almost emotional tone ('being ignored' by FFG, for example) and so it's not unexpected to get slightly sarcastic responses.

7 hours ago, Lobokai said:

My job keeps me busy, my family more, but an occasional brief little X-Wing article has been appreciated during the weeks when game time can't happen.  There was a little tongue in cheek there that I apparently didn't communicate .

As I said before, it's a good thing for the game for things to quiet down on the release front, since Waves 9 and 10 were so rapid. And yeah, 'tongue in cheek' on the Internet is impossible to convey without abandoning all subtlety with something like this: ;)

8 hours ago, Lobokai said:

Let's not play the martyr. Mental illness is irrelevant to the discussion, and it is not our responsibility to assume everyone or anyone is so on the edge that a little mild teasing on the internet sends them over, so you'll forgive me for not treading on eggshells.
You put forward a hypothesis but then supported it with emotionally charged language that made it hard to take seriously. A 'poor choice of words' is one way to put it.

5 hours ago, Vitalis said:

-Last wave has not brought any significant ships - all are niche at least, and for now it doesn't look like 11 will be some breaktrough (yea i know tlt for imps but thats just another variation of ThugLife).

Are you sure there's nothing significant about Kylo Ren's shuttle? Or the painted TIE that's all but a symbol of the show Rebels by this point? 'Significant' or 'proper Star Wars' are opinion when it comes to ships, and we'll be getting a lot more of ships like those than a lot of the rubbish from the EU. That said, Wave 11 is not looking to be that interesting and the TIE Aggressor is a stupid choice on several levels (not least because it just looks like an Advanced with the panels shot up), so I do agree with that.

-Power creep is real. And it is real, want example? Like a year ago (pre vets) selling any of my ships was a very big no go for me cause i could find use for 90% of them in competetive or semi-competetive lists. A week ago i sold like 70% of my collection and went "nah i still got most playable lists with me - i dont care" and thats maybe....10 ships? 6 of them being big scums lol . Again the strong integration of miniatures and rules is dragging the game down after such a long time.

Citation needed, surely? Your personal and subjective opinions regarding ships, and financial actions with your X-Wing collection, have no bearing on the game state or 'power creep'. There is evidence to suggest an increase in power over time (largely unavoidable), and of course there is the frustration of ships 'lagging' behind, but to say it's so bad that it's 'dragging the game down' is a big jump.

-The somehow bitter taste after worlds is still there. I mean why spend money to travel around the country, and do my best when official policy is to not even give me win if im cheated (NO, DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS! :) I just wanted to state my feeling not to start another topic about that incident).

If you arn't willing to defend your point on this, then it's meaningless to even mention it. The guy cheated, and he probably wasn't punished as harshly as people might have been expecting (or hoping), but the cheated opponent has let the matter rest and the cheater himself is going to struggle to find a game for a long time, I'd imagine. That's probably worse than anything FFG could do.

-Plus they got very, very strong competition growing. In Poland vast majority of players (myself included) migrated from GW systems. And GW is doing really really good job at claiming territory back with theirs new releases. If feel like some part of X-wing success was failure of GW back in the days.

Let's not go nuts. GW is making a lot of the right moves, but they have hardly done a complete 180 on some of their more contentious policies and the air around 8th edition 40k seems more tentative than excited, because it could all too easily just turn to pudding in their hands again.

Remarkable, given that it's been around for about five years now. Of course it doesn't feel the same - it never can, never will, and never should, else it would never have got to be so popular now.
It comes down, then, to whether what X-Wing is now is a game you still want to play, compared with back in 2012. For some people that's going to be a no. It's to be expected with any game.

4 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

Are you sure there's nothing significant about Kylo Ren's shuttle? Or the painted TIE that's all but a symbol of the show Rebels by this point? 'Significant' or 'proper Star Wars' are opinion when it comes to ships, and we'll be getting a lot more of ships like those than a lot of the rubbish from the EU. That said, Wave 11 is not looking to be that interesting and the TIE Aggressor is a stupid choice on several levels (not least because it just looks like an Advanced with the panels shot up), so I do agree with that.

Well they are nice models and interesting ships in the Universe - but gamewise? Kylos shuttle had his 5 minutes as some crazy gunboat/support and then faded away. And Rebel Tie is very niche.

6 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

Citation needed, surely? Your personal and subjective opinions regarding ships, and financial actions with your X-Wing collection, have no bearing on the game state or 'power creep'. There is evidence to suggest an increase in power over time (largely unavoidable), and of course there is the frustration of ships 'lagging' behind, but to say it's so bad that it's 'dragging the game down' is a big jump.

Citation? Just look at points value of need and old ships related to the power they posses. 

B-wing vs this new wookie ship. ORS vs JM5k.  Defender vs Ewing. Awing vs Fang. Shall i continue? I don't blame them it needs to fuel sales but it is irritating.

8 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

If you arn't willing to defend your point on this, then it's meaningless to even mention it. The guy cheated, and he probably wasn't punished as harshly as people might have been expecting (or hoping), but the cheated opponent has let the matter rest and the cheater himself is going to struggle to find a game for a long time, I'd imagine. That's probably worse than anything FFG could do.

I am. But we already had this topic too many times. My posts are public , feel free to read them if you are curious.

10 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

Let's not go nuts. GW is making a lot of the right moves, but they have hardly done a complete 180 on some of their more contentious policies and the air around 8th edition 40k seems more tentative than excited, because it could all too easily just turn to pudding in their hands again.

3 codexes and some stupid cards vs free rules and units? Thats 180 for me.

Air around AoS wasn't even tentative and it slowly crawls it way to the top. Wh40k - was in such a disasterous state that only most stubborn fans do not await changes.

13 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

Remarkable, given that it's been around for about five years now. Of course it doesn't feel the same - it never can, never will, and never should, else it would never have got to be so popular now.
It comes down, then, to whether what X-Wing is now is a game you still want to play, compared with back in 2012. For some people that's going to be a no. It's to be expected with any game.

And i play it for over 4 of those so i have some perspective. IMO Xwing bloomed around waves 6-8. Then it lost something. Hard for me to say what but it did.

11 minutes ago, Vitalis said:

And i play it for over 4 of those so i have some perspective. IMO Xwing bloomed around waves 6-8. Then it lost something. Hard for me to say what but it did.

Judging by my plays to date, X-Wing was pretty OK around waves 1-6, then fairly dead during wave 7, properly dead because of wave 8, and really started blooming after wave 9. My subjective opinion is more relevant to me than yours, so I'm happy.

haslo.plays.png

10 minutes ago, Vitalis said:

3 codexes and some stupid cards vs free rules and units? Thats 180 for me.

Air around AoS wasn't even tentative and it slowly crawls it way to the top. Wh40k - was in such a disasterous state that only most stubborn fans do not await changes.

So far GW has promised a lot, and they have yet to deliver anything, since 8th hasn't launched yet. They show great promises,but I at least have 2 main worries:

-It's tongue in cheek for now, but at a certain level they seem to be attacking people who like stuff in 7th that they are changing (WotC did similar mistakes when they were hyping 4th edition D&D).

-Once 8th hits, there will be an inevitable storm of '8th is ****' on their communication channels (they change a lot, so it's bound to make some guys unhappy). I'm curious how they will cope.

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Lobokai said:

It's been a graveyard for X-Wing anything. I'm all for a slower release cycle. And I get that big things are happening in other games. But at this point I feel deliberately ignored.

The MegaCorp FANTASYFLIGHTZAIBASTU is personally targetting you for neglect. Clearly you have upset the Board of Directors...

8 hours ago, LordBlades said:

This is almost a certainty for any licensed game IMO. Sooner or later the license will go to new guys.

Sad but true.  It took me 10+ years to decide to bust out my wallet again for this game.  I was tired of collectible, and I was tired of the game drying up after my years-long investment.  I know this game could dry up too, but I was hoping for something more analogous to the longevity of M:TG or D&D.

7 hours ago, Vitalis said:

Actually i feel the OP. I also got a feeling Xwing has become more of a chore for them than it was.

IMHO, because it is not being designed for fun, it is being designed as a sporting event.  Anything that is being designed to add flavor and fun to this game is being done by 3rd party companies (turbolaser towers, 3D asteroids) or fans (scenarios based on the movies, ground battles).

For example, stop holding back on the Prequel ships.  Let them occupy similar design spaces to OT ships.  First of all, similar ships would be easy to playtest and add without messing up the game.  Just give the Aces different abilities.  It could add a lot of ships, pique the interest of a totally new fan base, and not unbalance the meta while releasing a flood of new ships.  And it would be FUN.

Make XWM Star Wars Again!!

53 minutes ago, haslo said:

Judging by my plays to date, X-Wing was pretty OK around waves 1-6, then fairly dead during wave 7, properly dead because of wave 8, and really started blooming after wave 9. My subjective opinion is more relevant to me than yours, so I'm happy.

haslo.plays.png

Well, who can argue with a guy that graphs his own life (??!!) :P

12 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

IMHO, because it is not being designed for fun, it is being designed as a sporting event.  Anything that is being designed to add flavor and fun to this game is being done by 3rd party companies (turbolaser towers, 3D asteroids) or fans (scenarios based on the movies, ground battles).

You absolutely nailed it with this. They don't make this game for players anymore they make it for competitors and it is killing it. I hate organized play with a serious passion and I have watched it destroy some really amazing games in the past 30 years. When winning becomes more important than playing a game dies and an obsession is born. Games are fun obsessions are destructive.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, who can argue with a guy that graphs his own life (??!!) :P

Good point well made ;)and but the answer is, of course, anybody can. What I'm getting at is, everything I keep reading about how horrible the game has become is subjective. There's a false dichotomy about competitive vs fun play (competition can be fun!), there's nagging about aces and how they ruin the game (I miss the days of dominant aces), there's "years of context" from players who started when I got bored of the game. 

On the other hand I see several tournaments each weekend here in Switzerland when just a year ago I was happy to have one every few months, I've made good friends both in the local community and globally in and with Vassal, and I've never been more excited about the game and constantly speak with people who feel exactly the same. 

Long story short, the fact that you personally enjoy the game less does not in any way mean that it has gotten objectively worse. It almost definitely got objectively different. But doing so appears to have made it more old and new friends than enemies. 

And I'm absolutely a friend of where X-Wing is headed right now. 

Except for Jumpmasters. Those need a bit of a nerf.