Sign in to follow this  
Lobokai

Anyone else feel like FFG is tired of X-Wing already?

It's been a graveyard for X-Wing anything. I'm all for a slower release cycle. And I get that big things are happening in other games. But at this point I feel deliberately ignored. 

Edited by Lobokai

Nah, we're just in a lull at the moment.  The C-ROC will be coming soon, and we'll start seeing Wave 11 articles in late June/early July for it getting a GenCon release in mid August.  We'll probably see a Wave 12 announcement in August/September for a December/January release to tie in with The Last Jedi coming out.

Mostly I'm curious to see if there will be anything announced for the 40th Anniversary on the 25th May.

I mean, there was a wave release a couple of months ago, there's an Epic ship incoming probably in the next couple of weeks, and there's another wave on the way probably in the next 3 to 4 months.  There have been a bunch of preview articles albeit none in the last week or two, and a whole series of 101 articles about basic low-end list-building and casual play.

What more do you want?

I think what you're really feeling is that Wave X didn't have a huge impact on the game.  The releases aren't really any different than they've been in the past, Wave 9 at gencon, wave 10 in February, and then it seems like there's typically two off-wave releases throughout the year.  The C-ROC is going to be one of them, and my guess is that the 3pt Scum Epic will be the other one, likely timed for Christmas.

So no, I don't think FFG is getting tired of X Wing.  But it might seem kinda stale because not much has changed since Wave 8 (besides FAQs)... JM5K, VCX-100, Defenders (Wave 8.5 technically), Palpatine (Wave 7.5 technically)... All still rule the meta.  Wave 9 added the Lancer and Protectorate, but that's about it.  Wave 10 didn't add much short of fringe Ahsoka usage and obnoxious Rex usage, though they've yet to become mainstays (though they both have the possibility of doing so).

Edited by Khyros

Nope. They just did the Destiny release. They're knee-deep in Runewars. It can't be ALL X-WING ALL THE TIME simply from keeping their catalog diverse so that they're catering to as many different markets as possible.

Besides, those of us that have been around for a long time remember when the releases were right on top of each other and we deliberately asked FFG to slow down the release cycle. It was getting to the point that one wave was about to hit the stores for sale and they were posting details for the NEXT wave after that. It totally killed the excitement of the imminent product release as everyone seemed to automatically jump on the next thing.

It's a good thing to have them staggered. Actually gives people time to play and enjoy the product.

2 hours ago, Lobokai said:

It's been a graveyard for X-Wing anything. I'm all for a slower release cycle. And I get that big things are helping is other games. But at this point I feel deliberately ignored. 

Instead of contemplating death of X-Wing maybe you should actually do something to make this game alive for you - like, I don't know, play it?

2 hours ago, Lobokai said:

But at this point I feel deliberately ignored. 

35 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

you know, sometimes it really just is you... But hey don't let facts get in the way of your feelings or anything.  Because we all know that how someone feels is much more important than reality.

Well in fairness to him we haven't had a product related article in about 6 weeks.  There's been some casual and bombing articles along with the system open, but nothing related to new items since late March.  That's probably what he's feeling.  No need to crap on him.

2 hours ago, Jarval said:

Nah, we're just in a lull at the moment.  The C-ROC will be coming soon, and we'll start seeing Wave 11 articles in late June/early July for it getting a GenCon release in mid August.  We'll probably see a Wave 12 announcement in August/September for a December/January release to tie in with The Last Jedi coming out.

Mostly I'm curious to see if there will be anything announced for the 40th Anniversary on the 25th May.

I thought they wave 11 was supposed to be June. The announcement article said late Q2.

I enjoy not having to scramble to add lots of wave 11 elements in Vassal at the moment. The C-Roc releasing with all its glorious details will take a sizeable chunk of my time, and I'm right into a finals month of grading nonstop in May (teaching physics). Plus I have half a dozen bugs/features to work on.

You've obviously never played Armada. We're used to both a slow release schedule, and being actually ignored on some important things. You can complain about not having new articles, but Armada hadn't even gotten an FAQ update in six months. The last preview article they dropped was in December.

The FFG universe doesn't revolve around X-wing. We've just spent the last 12-14 months getting bombarded with releases and articles at an abnormal rate. We're back to a normal, sane schedule. Long may it continue.

21 minutes ago, costi said:

For what it's worth, I'm happy that the release cycle has slowed down.

Me too! I've had money to get all the older expansions. I'm now like four or five expansions short of EVERYTHING... I started playing little over a year ago and just now getting up to speed with the expansion cycle.

Oh the lols. Yes, I play Armada... I too said I like the slow release cycle (as in right in the OP), but yeah. 

As far as "facts". It's been over a month since there was an FFG authored news item on anything X-Wing and that was a System Open article (56 news items ago). They don't put anything out for the 4th or Worlds in X-Wing news. It was mid-late March (82 news articles) since we've had a post by FFG about X-Wing directly. 

I didn't say X-Wing was dead or the like. And I did say that I got that other things were going on. Just surprised that it's been almost 2 months since the X-Wing crew talked about X-Wing on the X-Wing website. Guess I struck a nerve. Sry all, not my intent  

Very clear that I'm an outlier here. Got it. But for some of you who constantly complain about hyperbole you've projected quite a bit on to a fairly simple "dang I wish FFG talked about X-Wing more, feeling ignored" post.  Maybe you guys need more X-Wing news to calm the knee jerks :P

edit: I think plenty of publishers can get burned out of their primary material or line. In fact it happens often. I didn't put "sick of", "done with", etc. I put "tired", cause that's what I meant. 

Edited by Lobokai