MonkeyInSpace

How do you guys make floorplans & maps?

1 hour ago, Tom Cruise said:

I was more questioning the fact that someone's first post on a forum is promoting a paid product. Kind of a suspicious look.

I have nothing to do with the program.  I'm new to running a Star Wars game on Roll20 and struggled to find quality pre-made maps for my game. 

I stumbled upon this program via a youtube channel (yes, they were a paid product placement). 

The program has been a massive help in creating maps tailored to the specific mission and situations in my games.

Edited by jowzam

when I bother, it's usually scribbles on paper.

If I'm prepping, or it's recurrent space, it will be one of the following:

• Easy Draw 3 on Mac
  • Dungeon Sketch on Android
  • Sketchup on mac
  • Samsung notes under android.

I have CC2&3 installed under WINE, but they're just too much of a pain these days.

1 hour ago, AK_Aramis said:

I have CC2&3 installed under WINE, but they're just too much of a pain these days.

Can you say more about Campaign Cartographer? I've been thinking of picking it up, more for fantasy games than Star Wars.

12 hours ago, hyperfocal said:

Can you say more about Campaign Cartographer? I've been thinking of picking it up, more for fantasy games than Star Wars.

If you're an autocad user, it's going to be pretty familiar...

It's powerful. But it IS a big learning curve, and  a tutorial is a hugely useful thing.

CC3 barely runs under wine; CC2 has major issues but runs well enough under WINE. I'm using the DarWine precompiled WINE on mac solution.

I can't recommend it. I love the look when I find it in a book, but it's a nightmare for me.

I've used CC also, and agree it's powerful while having a big learning curve. If you are going to use this program weekly, then sure give it a try. But, I've found that I have to relearn it each time I pull it out due to not using it enough to retain. It's very non-user friendly. CC is the reason I've gone with AutoRealm instead when I want a CAD. It's free, much easier to use, but doesn't have near the options of CC. I pull CC out only if I'm going to do something like a one time continental map for a fantasy game.

Edited by Sturn

14 hours ago, RogerZBT said:

For those of you who make your own maps, where do you get your objects (chairs, beds, computers, hyperdrives, etc...)? Do they come with the programs you use or is there a source other than Peter Thompson out there?

Lots of Googling.  One source that I've found a few useful bits it here: http://rpgmapshare.com/modules/g2/v/objects/

15 hours ago, RogerZBT said:

For those of you who make your own maps, where do you get your objects (chairs, beds, computers, hyperdrives, etc...)? Do they come with the programs you use or is there a source other than Peter Thompson out there?

I make all of mine from scratch in Illustrator. 

For large urban areas that you don't require specific building detail for...Google Maps.

Back in October, I needed a large urban area that a Star Destroyer had crashed in/near, and had released the zombifying virus from Death Troopers upon a planet. I took a map of the San Francisco area, flipped it 180 degrees, pasted a Star Destroyer where it had crashed (and didn't look nearly as large when put to a realistic city scale), and called it a day.

I made this cantina using that Dungeon Painter Studio I mentioned previously in the thread.  I subscribed to a ton of packs on the workshop and got all the objects I needed.  Anything else additional that's not in there I can usually find on Roll20.

Cantina map.png

I just wanted to say thank you all for sharing these resources. Made my first maps for an intro session with my group the other day. Small pics attached since the full size are quite large. If anyone is interested in the fullsize just let me know. There is also a mini adventure to go with it :)

roof.jpg

ground.jpg

basement.jpg

sewer.jpg

Edited by tsunamibear

12 hours ago, tsunamibear said:

I just wanted to say thank you all for sharing these resources. Made my first maps for an intro session with my group the other day. Small pics attached since the full size are quite large. If anyone is interested in the fullsize just let me know. There is also a mini adventure to go with it :)

very interested! let me know how I can get copies, please!

Very nice maps.

Our group doesn't use those.

http://hirstarts.com/

In our games and combats (when they crop up) we tend to use miniatures and the GM has pre-built floor sections and "furnishings" including doors and walls.

Check out the projects pages and especially the Sci-Fi projects for good examples.

Mind you, my GM is using "cruder" examples, but when he lays out a 3x12 hallway and lays out doors, and comm panel and a couple of side halls, there's no doubt what is where.

He'll also do things like, "Is that soda can empty?  Great.  It's a tower," and drop it in as an obstacle.

This stuff is definitely not quick and not easy.  (We use dental plaster as the main medium).  But if you get into it you will become an artist.  You will be!