Didyk2

Is it a good deal: E-wing+TIE- Punisher without upgrades?

Hi, guys!
At my local forum there is an offer to buy both E-wing and TIE-punisher without upgrade cards for a 35% discount.
I'm not so good at judging card abilities, and want to aks the community if that is a good deal.
Thanks for advice!

I'd pay £5 per ship (except wing is £13 complete in my flags)  without upgrade cards. E wing should be OK as you get corran but competitively the punisher needs a lot of playing to work. 

Also punisher best upgrade card is twin ion engine mk2

Edited by taulover55

7 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

The Punisher lives on it's ordinance upgrades. You want to get those to make it worthwhile. Without them its totally worthless.

Or even with them. 

The only reason to buy a Punisher is because you want to be ahead of the game in case FFG puts out a fix for them. 

2 hours ago, Ailowynn said:

Or even with them. 

The only reason to buy a Punisher is because you want to be ahead of the game in case FFG puts out a fix for them. 

Or maybe you really like egg cartons. Also I've list fall apart to Admiral Death train before so the punisher's not that worthless....

There are people on Ebay who sale the naked ships because they strip the cards that people want and sell those separately.

Now if you just want the ship and have no plans to play with it or can to play with the upgrades for some reason, then it is a good deal. Otherwise they are often bought for the cards, not the ship.

4 hours ago, thelogicdump said:

The only reason to by a punisher is Tie-MkII engines. So without the upgrade cards ...

But then again, you don't have to play with the cards unless you're going to a tournament. You can also just print out a list of upgrades, or use a smartphone or tablet.

E-wing

• Advanced Sensors -also found in Lambda Class Shuttle
  • Flechette Torpedoes- also found in TIE Punisher/ Rebel Transport/U-wing
  • Outmaneuver- also found in TIE Defender
  • R7 Astromech
  • R7-T1

Everything else you can get from some where else. The only things you are really missing on for the E-wing is the R7 Astromech which you don't really need 2 or more and R7-T1 which is unique. If you don't have an E-wing expansion yet just getting the model at a discount wouldn't be too bad. But I would suggest picking up an E-wing pack even if you get an additional E-wing,

TIE Punisher

• Adv. Homing Missile x2 (K-wing)
  • Cluster Mines (Ghost, Imperial Veterans)
  • Enhanced Scopes (Rebel Aces)
  • Extra Munitions (K-wing)
  • Flechette Torpedoes (see above)
  • Ion Bombs (K-wing)
  • Plasma Torps (K-wing)
  • TIE Mk. II x2

So the big upgrades you would be missing out on is the Extra Munitions and the TIE Mk. II engines. Most of the other stuff is in the K-wing and EM is a debate if you need more than 2. At least it is not a K-wing with the TLTs removed.

I think it's worth it. Before you yell at me, consider the following:

-For casual play both ships are pretty cool

-the models are awesome, no question

-As long as you have Corran you should be ok

-The Punisher can be used to take up some points and now you have a naked 9 health ship that the enemy has to mop up. Remember, they will assume you have tons of ordnance, so they will either stay away or take it out quick. Use this to your advantage!

3 hours ago, Celestial Lizards said:

I think it's worth it. Before you yell at me, consider the following:

-For casual play both ships are pretty cool

-the models are awesome, no question

-As long as you have Corran you should be ok

-The Punisher can be used to take up some points and now you have a naked 9 health ship that the enemy has to mop up. Remember, they will assume you have tons of ordnance, so they will either stay away or take it out quick. Use this to your advantage!

Thats not really a great way to run a punisher. It's not like your list is a secret. If you have no ordinance, your opponent will know.

Just now, BadMotivator said:

Thats not really a great way to run a punisher. It's not like your list is a secret. If you have no ordinance, your opponent will know.

Every good idea I have gets shot down every time. :(

Either way, the models are worth having if you love the EU.