divinityofnumber

GenCon 50: Attack on Dol Guldur

66 posts in this topic

Ooh, I bet this is the assault that Thranduil and Galadriel lead on Dol Guldur. Galadriel tears the fortress to the ground. 

Alt art Galadriel, anyone? 😁

Really glad it isn't Scouring.  I need to figure out how to play these epic multiplayer by myself.  Three  handed guess.

I was hoping for scouring, but that might make more sense as a fall fellowship event, since it'd likely be pretty popular. Hopefully we get it then. At least hoping the gen con and fellowship events are different this year, now that we've had a couple of chances at epic multilayer. I did enjoy epic multilayer, though, and I'm excited to see what this quest will be like. 

The Scouring of the Shire is the last chapter of the Return of the King, detailing the Hobbits' return to the Shire and how they deal with several villains (Saruman and Grima chief among them) who had set up shop there while they had been away. It was omitted from the movies, and seemingly the last Deluxe box of our game as well. A lot of people (myself included) are hoping that it will be added later as a print on demand quest, much like they did for the Tom Bombadil chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring. 

5 minutes ago, Bullroarer Took said:

To be clear:  I WANT Scouring, but I don't want it until after we have the sixth box.  Dol Guldur just fits better.

Oh, well I imagine the sixth box will be available at GenCon. The new Saga boxes usually are. :)

rbaker1978 likes this

13 hours ago, Authraw said:

Oh, well I imagine the sixth box will be available at GenCon. The new Saga boxes usually are. :)

I expect it will be too, which is why I felt that Scouring at GC would be too soon.

I am honestly not thrilled about those 12-player scenarios at all, I'd rather have something like the Bree Investigation thingy that any amount of players can play. From the other hand, if they feel to blow some quests out of proportion - I'd rather have them blow those PoD quests I'll never lay my hands on unless I want to specifically.

42 minutes ago, John Constantine said:

I am honestly not thrilled about those 12-player scenarios at all, I'd rather have something like the Bree Investigation thingy that any amount of players can play. From the other hand, if they feel to blow some quests out of proportion - I'd rather have them blow those PoD quests I'll never lay my hands on unless I want to specifically.

I have played Annuminas solo and it's still a great quest. Very hard, yes, but that's what GenCon scenarios are.

Eldandil likes this

On 14.5.2017 at 8:46 PM, GrandSpleen said:

Nice!

But it's not Scouring of the Shire -- hmmm!  Fellowship event?

Fellowship or might even be only next year. How close were the Old Forest/Barrow-Downs released to the black riders?
One thing that makes me tend to the second option is, that the epic mode is perfect for fellowship events as it isn't that easy to get enough players together for a 12 player round and the events increase the chance of a larger player-count. On the other hand a "fellowship" event would fit nicely for the last quest of the campagne (but that holds true for next your, where we maybe only get scouring for both events or an other non-epic GenCon quest).

The info text doesn't give away much information about the quest itself. Would be interessting if this is the actual destruction (what could make an integration into the the saga campagne possible, though unlikely) or a made-up one without deeper meaning. Hoping for the first :)

Me too :). They want to push to buy cards on their stand and play directly at the event. As a former local organizer I sometime do this also :)

Submitted my wish list as soon as it opened and didn't get in this year. Pretty disappointed. What are the chances ffg will open another time slot? I don't recall them doing it last year, so I guess not high. I'll be cancelling my gen con trip then. Not pleased.

They did open up another two slots two years ago a few weeks after event registration opened. People also sometimes drop out after a couple of days, so you may want to hold off on canceling just yet. 

I'm with you though, this is pretty much the reason I go to GenCon. FFG seems to consistently underestimate the popularity of this game, and that's pretty frustrating. 

Posted (edited)

I'm playing Sunday morning. Looking to play with some others as a designed fellowship. 

Edited by Kakita Shiro

Well, gen con gets to keep my money. Some spots opened up Thursday at 4 which was my original pick anyway. Gotta watch the site like a hawk though...

I do wish ffg would provide better organized play opportunities. After putting up with Decipher for the old lord of the rings tcg and wizards for magic, it's really my only complaint about ffg as a company, but it is something.

Authraw likes this