Dett Starley

2 more factions! 2 more factions!

1 hour ago, SabineKey said:

I still think backers of the CIS, such as the Trade Federation, falls under the umbrella of corrupt corporation, which is only slightly removed in my mind from crime organizations like the Black Sun, who are already a part of Scum. 

Another way to view CIS is as part of the Rebellion, as both were trying to get out from under a corrupt/oppressive regime.

neither solution is perfect, but it is a way to bring those ships in. Plus, there is talk about CIS droid ships getting bought up and repurposed by pirates, so there is that option as well.

Droid ships work fine under Scum, since it's established during the clone wars that the Trad Federation would generally sell their ships and droids to anyone willing to pay, and they certainly had plenty of surplus left after the war to sell to the hutts and black sun

I'm going to say no.

Not because I don't like them, but because the game designers would be forced into a dilemma: either the old ships are worse than the ones we have now and nobody but the purist collector buys them, or make the old ships "better" via power creep and suddenly how did old relics get better than the t65, A-wing, or any others.

18 hours ago, Astech said:

Yeah!

The Clone Wars opens up a lot of new design space in terms of ship design, but it's hard to get everything on the table. For instance, Vulture droids (by lore) should be around 9 points, but having potentially 22 ships in a 100/6 game may prove difficult. I could certainly see the ships Jedi and Sith fly (Delta-7, Eta-2, Solar Sailer and Bladeship) being introduced. The biggest problem though is that the Republic has virtually all jedi and clones, whereas the CIS universally used droids, which makes unique pilots a bit of a challenge.

Maybe the pro/con of the separatists is that you can have a lot, but you don't get to add many upgrades.

5 hours ago, LordBlades said:

Republic ships aren't that hard to implement. You can give them to the Rebels, like the ARC-170, or to the Empire (these ships didn't just disappear when Palpatine took over).

CIS however will likely not happen, as much as that saddens me. There aren't enough ships for a full fledged faction (and more won't appear in the foreseeable future) and most of them don't really fit into any of the existing factions, although some ships will likely appear (Rebels will certainly get the Nemoidian shutle for example)

I'm ok with a very small faction

1 minute ago, Dett Starley said:

Maybe the pro/con of the separatists is that you can have a lot, but you don't get to add many upgrades.

Or, rather than having each ship having a pilot value, due to playing a higher number, every 3-5 ships is a group, linked together to one command unit. That unit has the 'pilot skill' command level of the group, and is the only one that can directly receive upgrades. basically, lets say you have 5 Vulture droids, and 3 Tri-fighters. 1 VD is the squad leader, and has the PS, a squadron trait and 2 upgrade slots(CIS could have upgrades that effect the whole 'squadron' however). The other 4 are specialized, and activate with that squad leader, and you have a number of different 'generic' profiles specialized for different purposes, with generally no upgrade slots. However when the VD leader is destroyed, the other 4 VD's are not destroyed, but now have a Pilot Skill of 0 due to loosing their leader, and loose whatever bonus the leader had. Tri-droids and Hyena's would  be similar overall, however they do get a upgrade slot for munitions.

Basically give the faction special balance, by making it so you field them in groups with a lead, and then several 'drones' to make them different from the other factions. That would be a way to reflect their nature. However you could do something similar if you added them to scum as well

I'm ok with it being technically a separate game as long as They are the same scale, and compatible to x-wing for casual gamers. You cry babies have enough to cry about now, I don't want anybody jumping out of windows just because I'd like a Jedi star fighter next to an x-wing on my shelf

2 hours ago, Lobokai said:

All for it. I'd say add 3 new factions. Balance is easier either with 6 than 3, btw. And it's less power creep

http://xwing-armada.blogspot.com/2017/04/why-we-should-welcome-more-factions-and.html

Is it really? Some of the most competitive games are only 3. Starcraft is one of those although they have nearly enough units and backstory to make 6 factions, Dominion, Raider, Dark Templar, Taldarine, Overmind, Kerigan.

However again 6 factions seems to be more towards the argument of 2.0. And with the Brood Wars Remastered, it seems to favor the whole have 2 formats with 3 different factions than have 6 factions all together. 6 factions won't be less power creep, there will still be displacement even with more factions. Bro-bots essentially displaced the buzzsaw shuttle list when Wave 6 was out.

18 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Not because I don't like them, but because the game designers would be forced into a dilemma: either the old ships are worse than the ones we have now and nobody but the purist collector buys them, or make the old ships "better" via power creep and suddenly how did old relics get better than the t65, A-wing, or any others.

In Star Wars technology doesn't really evolve. Look at the Old Republic era: several thousand years old ships don't look so dissimilar to the 'present day' ones.

Plus, we already have Clone Wars era ships in the game (title-less ARC excluded as the ship wasn't designed to be used title-less): YV-666 and the Lancer for example (Assajj was supposed to fly a Lancer in the cancelled arc of TCW). Do they feel like relics?

Edited by LordBlades

Also look at the t-70 vs t-65 for example, or the tie fighter vs tie/fo.  The ST ones are better, but not by a ton, just an extra shield, an extra action, a bit better dial, and a new upgrade slot.  But because of that they are also 3 points more expensive.

So PT ships should only marginally be worse, and any deficiencies they have should be reflected in their cost to make it fair, so there won't be any issues.  For example the vulture droid is very likely worth less than the 12 point baseline they have in the game currently.  That would mean allowing even larger squads, or maybe they'd do my idea and do something like armada where you have a duo or trio of vulture droids represented as one entity to make the cost higher.

FFG has already delved deep into the Expanded Universe for new ships. Excuse me, I mean delved deep into the Legends and video games for new ships (HWK 290, TIE Defender, E-Wing, a large majority of the S&V, etc.). They even invented a completely new ship at least once: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Raider-class_corvette https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/12/19/here-comes-the-imperial-raider/

So, why not take an Expanded Universe faction, and outfit them with newly developed ships no one has seen before? Forgot old CIS droids rusting away on Raxus Prime! ;)

My thoughts go for a Chiss Ascendancy Faction. Thrawn was brought into Disney's Rebels and Timothy Zahn wrote a new book about him, so the Chiss Ascendancy has been re-canonized. I would trust FFG to build a new faction of Chiss ships and slowly roll it out. With the Raider as an example of FFG's ability to create new things, the idea is very promising. 

I think some fan made a Thrawn card, and considering what Thrawn has done for Star Wars, it's time for him to have an official faction! 

I would say Yuuzzhan Vong, too, for a faction, but that just seems like a bad idea...I never read those books and they always seemed annoying haha.

Either way, unless they release Waves more slowly, or Disney Rebels comes up with a ton of new ships, they will have to look somewhere to keep expanding.

And let's be real, the Chiss would be sweet!

9 hours ago, HanScottFirst said:

FFG has already delved deep into the Expanded Universe for new ships. Excuse me, I mean delved deep into the Legends and video games for new ships (HWK 290, TIE Defender, E-Wing, a large majority of the S&V, etc.). They even invented a completely new ship at least once: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Raider-class_corvette https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/12/19/here-comes-the-imperial-raider/

So, why not take an Expanded Universe faction, and outfit them with newly developed ships no one has seen before? Forgot old CIS droids rusting away on Raxus Prime! ;)

My thoughts go for a Chiss Ascendancy Faction. Thrawn was brought into Disney's Rebels and Timothy Zahn wrote a new book about him, so the Chiss Ascendancy has been re-canonized. I would trust FFG to build a new faction of Chiss ships and slowly roll it out. With the Raider as an example of FFG's ability to create new things, the idea is very promising. 

I think some fan made a Thrawn card, and considering what Thrawn has done for Star Wars, it's time for him to have an official faction! 

I would say Yuuzzhan Vong, too, for a faction, but that just seems like a bad idea...I never read those books and they always seemed annoying haha.

Either way, unless they release Waves more slowly, or Disney Rebels comes up with a ton of new ships, they will have to look somewhere to keep expanding.

And let's be real, the Chiss would be sweet!

Also yeah, we really need the Chiss. They are just so amazing and even if they suck i would still always use them lol.

1 minute ago, Arma Quattro said:

Well yeah.

but ffg doesn't like imperial ships to have crew slots. ?

I only expect it to have 1 crew, 1 or 2 cannon, 1 or 2 missile, a system. For actions I think focus, lock, evade, and coordinate. I expect some sort of card synergy with the Strikers.

On 5/14/2017 at 4:26 AM, FTS Gecko said:

Maybe after two more films we can get the Resistance and the First Order as factions in their own right.

This. We already have two more factions. And really they should be their own thing once they can support it. You've always had the slightly fanciful "Lando can fly with Porkins" deal even though Porkins died before Lando joined the Rebellion but Palpatine sharing a Decimator ride with Kylo goes a bit too far. 

11 minutes ago, Unremarkable Cardboard Box said:

This. We already have two more factions. And really they should be their own thing once they can support it. You've always had the slightly fanciful "Lando can fly with Porkins" deal even though Porkins died before Lando joined the Rebellion but Palpatine sharing a Decimator ride with Kylo goes a bit too far. 

I completely agree.