Sign in to follow this  
AdamGATX105

Appropriate advance notice for tournaments

I (personally) aim for a minimum of 4 weeks for my own Tournaments.  Longer for more important ones, of course, but with the way shipping works to this side of the country from the Distributor, those aren't always possible :) 

But really, its store (and customer) dependant.

We have a store here that holds them monthly - but still gets pinged when they don't advertise them for a good 2-3 weeks beforehand.

I'd say one week minimum. Sometimes it's not enough for everyone, but that's just how it is. Scheduling things for stores can be rather difficult given all the communities they're juggling. More lead time is obviously better but it's not always possible.

Always schedule at least 3 weeks out, especially if your normal game day and your tournament aren't on the same day of the week.  People may need to rearrange schedules or even take time off of work to attend and that can be hard to do on short notice.

Any tournaments a good tournament (well - expect for one regionals we went to last year but we've mostly forgotten that!). I don't care if they only give short notice - if I can get there I will get there!

But from a business perspective, if you are going to invest resources in running a tournament then giving it a decent amount of notice and promotion is probably a good idea.

Kind of part of knowing your community. We've had one-week-notice tourneys before that the store just put on cause they had some extra space and stuff. This is fine for a low-key smaller, 6-8 player tournament where nobody's really investing much into it, particularly because most of our community works weekdays and has weekends off.

If your area only has one tourney a month and has a bunch of people who work odd hours or something like that, though, a week's notice is a disservice to the community and kind of a waste of the store's resources to boot. It's not that the store or TO has an obligation to the players, exactly; more just poor planning. Nobody knows, so nobody comes, so nobody buys anything or builds rapport at the store, so the store wasted the support, so they think the community isn't there for the game and stop supporting it.

While you can get away with as little as a week on occasion in the right circumstances, I think 3-4 weeks is a good rule of thumb, in general.