LordTesla

The Carrion Spike

Anyone else want to see this ship in the game? Crabbok predicted it so it will happen. ;)

Been thinking about it a lot lately, it would be nice to have another small corvette ship for the Imperials and I think the simplest way to implement the cloaking device would to be make the Carrion Spike a title card (which it obviously should be) that reads:

"This ship gains one (Scatter) token" 

We've already seen other upgrades that allow ships to gain defence tokens so its not a far out or new concept/mechanic. I also think the ship should have a Defensive Retro so I feel safe putting Tarkin on it who will probably cost almost as much as the ship itself. 

Your thoughts?

2 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Tarkin was a great book and the Carrion Spike sounded like a really cool ship.  I am hoping for it to arrive on our tables.

Tarkin is hands down the best Star Wars book I've read.  They really nailed his backstory and provided a reason for his harsh personality.  

How many have you read?

Just now, ninclouse2000 said:

Tarkin was a great book and the Carrion Spike sounded like a really cool ship.  I am hoping for it to arrive on our tables.

Tarkin is hands down the best Star Wars book I've read.  They really nailed his backstory and provided a reason for his harsh personality.  

I agree. I liked that he had a more frontier/outdoorsy manly back story rather than just "I was top of my class at the academy!" plus coming from the outer rim made him more of a under dog and if anything can be said about Star Wars, its that Star Wars is all about the underdogs.

Just now, ninclouse2000 said:

Ive read the aftermath books, catalyst and tarkin.  I liked catalyst also and I guess the aftermath books are ok.  

I don't mean to impugn your reading selections in the slightest, but I understand why Tarkin is the best Star Wars book you've read if this is your exposure level. 

:(

I loved that Tarkin and his family were basically one of the colonialist/imperialist European families invading and settling Africa except on some space savannah planet. I feel like that was a twist on a character that fits and is far more interesting then say, he grew up amongst the elite of the Republic and Empire and just was a rich kid.

The book is a bit wonky but Tarkin himself as a character and how he's characterized is really well done. Plus theres so many great moments, suxh as Tarking designing the Imperial Uniform (which historically makes sense) and the style spreading because other officers emulate his power. Also I love that we clearly get a sense that Palpatine doesnt want to spend his time governing and thats why Tarkin and Vader are there, one to enforce and one to administer.

Edited by Forresto

2 hours ago, LordTesla said:

Anyone else want to see this ship in the game? Crabbok predicted it so it will happen. ;)

Been thinking about it a lot lately, it would be nice to have another small corvette ship for the Imperials and I think the simplest way to implement the cloaking device would to be make the Carrion Spike a title card (which it obviously should be) that reads:

"This ship gains one (Scatter) token" 

We've already seen other upgrades that allow ships to gain defence tokens so its not a far out or new concept/mechanic. I also think the ship should have a Defensive Retro so I feel safe putting Tarkin on it who will probably cost almost as much as the ship itself. 

Your thoughts?

That is actually a good thought, I would be happy to see the Carrion Spike, and the model for it was used in Clone Wars in one episode, so a nice fast small ship with some cool abilities.

As for the books, Tarkin was an interesting backstory, but the overall plot was laughable.  Catalyst was far superior if you asked me, actual character growth, a story that involved more than a Scooby-Doo chase after the stolen Mystery Mobile.

If you want a good new-cannon story, check out Lost Stars.

15 minutes ago, Alzer said:

That is actually a good thought, I would be happy to see the Carrion Spike, and the model for it was used in Clone Wars in one episode, so a nice fast small ship with some cool abilities.

As for the books, Tarkin was an interesting backstory, but the overall plot was laughable.  Catalyst was far superior if you asked me, actual character growth, a story that involved more than a Scooby-Doo chase after the stolen Mystery Mobile.

If you want a good new-cannon story, check out Lost Stars.

I'll add Lost Stars to my list.  I was planning on picking up the Thrawn book next.  I only started reading Star Wars books this year.  I'm usually a grr Martin or Stephen king reader but considering martin's schedule for releasing the next book, I can probably safely read both.  I am hopeful he'll release the next book late this year but not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, Tirion said:

Yup tarkin is the best on that list.

I read an old Star Wars book like 15 years ago where Leah was getting married and Han kidnapped her (if I remember correctly) and I hated it. I never read any of the old original books because of how much I disliked it.

5 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I read an old Star Wars book like 15 years ago where Leah was getting married and Han kidnapped her (if I remember correctly) and I hated it. I never read any of the old original books because of how much I disliked it.

I was just reading that and had to put it down, Courtship of Princess Leia was soooo bad and I've read piles and piles of Legends books.  Try the X-Wing Series

8 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I'll add Lost Stars to my list.  I was planning on picking up the Thrawn book next.  I only started reading Star Wars books this year.  I'm usually a grr Martin or Stephen king reader but considering martin's schedule for releasing the next book, I can probably safely read both.  I am hopeful he'll release the next book late this year but not holding my breath.

I have my last final of the semester tonight, and my end of semester "reward" will be the new Thrawn book. 

Anyhow, great call on the CS as an additional imperial ship that can be added in, I'm actually excited for that now.

18 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Yeah, Courtship was bad. Terribad.

Before you read the new Thrawn book, might I suggest Heir to the Empire? It is after all what started this whole EU craze. And then Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command.

The XWing Series is decent as well. 

Edited by Eggzavier

Well, NONE of the Star Wars books are really good, at least not as books.  Some are more fun than others, but a lot of them tried so hard to stick to the movie characters that either the books were bland, or it involved actions that were way out of character.  

That being said, I'm not a literature snob ALL the time, and I have my pulpy guilty pleasures (like literally anything Jim Butcher puts on paper).  To that end I highly recommend some of the anthology books if you can find them (I remember really enjoying tales of the bounty hunters) and the X-Wing series along with I, Jedi.  Yeah, Corran is a bit of a Mary Sue, but if I was reading sci-fi for literary value and excellence I would just start Dune or Foundation again.

11 minutes ago, Eggzavier said:

Yeah, Courtship was bad. Terribad.

Before you read the new Thrawn book, might I suggest Heir to the Empire? It is after all what started this whole EU craze. And then Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command.

The XWing Series is decent as well. 

Or you could read stuff that is Canon. Not that there is anything wrong with legends but a lot of what you will here people taking about will be the Cannon stuff

1 minute ago, FatherTurin said:

Well, NONE of the Star Wars books are really good, at least not as books.  Some are more fun than others, but a lot of them tried so hard to stick to the movie characters that either the books were bland, or it involved actions that were way out of character.  

That being said, I'm not a literature snob ALL the time, and I have my pulpy guilty pleasures (like literally anything Jim Butcher puts on paper).  To that end I highly recommend some of the anthology books if you can find them (I remember really enjoying tales of the bounty hunters) and the X-Wing series along with I, Jedi.  Yeah, Corran is a bit of a Mary Sue, but if I was reading sci-fi for literary value and excellence I would just start Dune or Foundation again.

Disagree lost stars is really good

17 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Or you could read stuff that is Canon. Not that there is anything wrong with legends but a lot of what you will here people taking about will be the Cannon stuff

I'm not going to get into an argument with you about which is better, i.e. the new canon or the old canon. 

To each their own. 

But, that being said, since this is an armada forum and a large amount of Armada content comes from the Old Canon, and most of the foundation of both the old and new expanded universes comes from the Thrawn Trilogy, I still think its a worthwhile read.

50 minutes ago, Alzer said:

I was just reading that and had to put it down, Courtship of Princess Leia was soooo bad and I've read piles and piles of Legends books.  Try the X-Wing Series

I have my last final of the semester tonight, and my end of semester "reward" will be the new Thrawn book. 

Anyhow, great call on the CS as an additional imperial ship that can be added in, I'm actually excited for that now.

I'm excited for to read Thrawn.  I had heard plenty about him on the forums and look forward to the read.  

The carrion spike could make for a great addition to the empire.  Even though it was small, it sounded like it was a formidable ship.

Tarkin was above average as far as Star Wars books go. It was okay, and at moments fascinating - especially Tarkin's backstory - but at least it didn't make me want to vomit like a lot of the EU books. Suncrusher? Wyrwolves? That middle part of the X-Wing series written by not-Stackpole where Wedge does exactly the same thing as he did in the first X-wing novel?

But the worst overall has to be the Yuuzhan Vong. I was okay - if a bit bored - with it up until the point that they started hinting at Palpatine seeing these guys coming and that everything he did was just to prepare the galaxy to fight them off. BULL****. The ultimate greedy, power-hungry maniac was really just a misunderstood lost soul doing his best to save everyone?

NO. BAD AUTHORS. I like Stackpole and Salvatore as much as the next fan of game-related pulpy fiction, but that just... hurt me.

But the Carrion Spike plot wasn't really the POINT of the book, even if it showed how proto-Rebellions were springing up prior to the 'official' Rebellion. The POINT was to establish Tarkin's backstory and character, and especially his somewhat quirky relationship with Darth Vader. At that it was a rousing success, and so I have to rate it fairly well.

I'd read it again, and that's more than I can say about a lot of Star Wars novels.

3 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

The new Thrawn book is amazing hands down! The original Thrawn trilogy is also an excellent series as well, easily the best Star Wars books written. The coolest part about both Thrawn in the new novel and the series so far is that they still work with the Thrawn trilogy as background for his character. 

8 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I would not call it the best book. But it has been a good story