Sign in to follow this  
sdh007

Timeline

Hello all,

I know this probably has been posted before but I'll try anyway.

Does anyone know the time line for all boxes? So far I have Imperial Assault and Twin Shadows. I would like to play the campaigns in the right chronological order.

Thanks!

You have already messed up by starting with the core campaign. :D

I would say: Heart of the Empire, Core, Twin Shadows, Return to Hoth, Bespin Gambit, Jabba's Realm

But I would also say you can play Twin Shadows, Bespin Gambit, Jabba's Realm, and even Core in any order you prefer.

Edited by a1bert

Thanks for the advice!

I've already played Core and Twin Shadows but nothing stops me from going through them in the proper order :).

My intention is to start with Heart of the Empire and if the Rebel Heroes lose, they are "killed/captured/...whatever the story says" and can't be picked for the following campaign. So if for example Jynn, Fenn and Diala would lose Heart of the Empire campaign, they can't be picked for the Core campaign and the Rebels have to choose 2-4 new Heroes.

4 hours ago, sdh007 said:

Thanks for the advice!

I've already played Core and Twin Shadows but nothing stops me from going through them in the proper order :).

My intention is to start with Heart of the Empire and if the Rebel Heroes lose, they are "killed/captured/...whatever the story says" and can't be picked for the following campaign. So if for example Jynn, Fenn and Diala would lose Heart of the Empire campaign, they can't be picked for the Core campaign and the Rebels have to choose 2-4 new Heroes.

I've taken this approach with my group. It's not a win/lose so much as story appropropriate. For example, one of our campaign stories ended with a Rogue One sort of conclusion. Likewise, those Hero's weren't allowed in the next campaign, since they were presumed dead. However, in the campaign following that I allowed them to resurrect one of them and came up with a pretty fun explanation for how that Hero survived and was found, rehabilitated etc. I did this because I didn't want them to be too constrained in the long term. Plus, my group is pretty good about trying new Hero's in each campaign. If they weren't, I'd more likely force the issue a bit more with story-based restrictions. I like this approach because it gives the overall story more cohesiveness.  

5 hours ago, sdh007 said:

Also, where would Return to Hoth fit in?

The following was written by Subtrendy; I'm not sure how to link him to this or I would. Also, if you don't mind some spoilers for the Rebels TV show and comics check out the thread: "*Spoilers* Timeline for Heart or the Empire *Spoilers*

From SubT:

1) Core begins right after the Battle of Yavin (0BBY), but has no set end date- other than the fact that Vader is a possible final boss, so it must end by 4ABY.

2) Return to Hoth begins at the Battle of Hoth (3ABY)- and again, doesn't seem to have a real set end date, though there seems to be a significant time lapse between the Battle of Hoth and the next story mission.

3) Jabba's Realm is a little harder to place.  However, we know two things that can help us with that- first, Jabba is still alive during it.  Second, Luke is a more competent Jedi (With green saber), at least during part of the campaign.  So, we can assume that it takes place anywhere between Luke's encounter on Bespin (3ABY) and Jabba's death (4ABY).

edit: Interesting note- Return to Hoth could potentially go the latest into the time period, as there's nothing that I can see preventing the finale from taking place after the Battle of Endor.  And, as seen in the Aftermath trilogy, Dengar lived that long.

Any notes on the smallboxes we should know about?  Obviously certain Twin Shadows missions would have to take place between ANH and ESB, as they feature both Han and Boba on Tatooine.  TBG is a little harder to read.  I haven't played many of the missions yet, especially with the flavor text of the mini-campaign, but from what I remember, there's text that specifically references that Lando is now working with the Rebels (as opposed to him simply working in his position on Cloud City, defending it from early Imperial incursions).  So, that would be any time after ESB, really- though I'd even venture that it could be after ROTJ, too.

And from Felswrath:

If any one's interested in the time periods, they are as follows. 1-2; ANH; 3 (core campaign) 4; ESB; 5 (Return to Hoth) -6; RotJ; 7

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo

Oh hey, thanks @VadersMarchKazoo! I was going to link that but totally forgot where I posted it, so you spared me having to look for it.  :D

One thing not in that post, but I think VadersMarch had posted in the thread he quoted me from, is that HotE probably has to come before Rebels Season 3's finale (which is a few years before A New Hope).  

Edited by subtrendy

14 hours ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

I've taken this approach with my group. It's not a win/lose so much as story appropropriate. For example, one of our campaign stories ended with a Rogue One sort of conclusion. Likewise, those Hero's weren't allowed in the next campaign, since they were presumed dead. However, in the campaign following that I allowed them to resurrect one of them and came up with a pretty fun explanation for how that Hero survived and was found, rehabilitated etc. I did this because I didn't want them to be too constrained in the long term. Plus, my group is pretty good about trying new Hero's in each campaign. If they weren't, I'd more likely force the issue a bit more with story-based restrictions. I like this approach because it gives the overall story more cohesiveness.  

Question: if your Heroes survived and are going on another campaign, did you let them start with 0XP or give them some bonus (like starting with 2 xp to spend at the beginning of the campaign?)

Also I wouldn't use every Ally or Villain. If I would start with Heart of the Empire it would make no sense to include Luke Skywalker for example. He could only be gained in Coe set. 

6 hours ago, sdh007 said:

Question: if your Heroes survived and are going on another campaign, did you let them start with 0XP or give them some bonus (like starting with 2 xp to spend at the beginning of the campaign?)

We've been implementing a similar item in our campaigns where the Rebel heroes can't be used again if they "died" in a campaign. We are also only allowing heroes to join into a campaign that they could have been a part of, so Davith can't be in Twin Shadows. Lastly, we are playing that heroes introduced in a specific campaign have to play in that campaign (this excludes the core), it makes for a good variety. So far we haven't run out of hero options since the Rebels have manged to win enough.

Regarding your question, I don't think that re-used heroes need any more of a boost. If you're playing with the same group, then they will already know how that hero works. They can go the boring route and re-build that hero the same way if it was super effective, or try different path. The knowledge of having used a specific hero in the past is generally enough of an advantage IMO.

I like to do things that enhance the story and add depth. But I think it's important to not mess with game mechanics or do anything that is too restrictive. After all, I want my rebels to be able to build a good team. Likewise, I wouldn't give xp bonuses for previously used hero. My group has been good about changing it up and so we haven't needed to put too many house rules in place. I think changing it up with both Heros and IP class decks really makes this game fun and gives each campaign unique flavor. Plus, it tends to be beneficial to use the hero and IP decks that came with a campaign because there are often little rewards. For ex: "if playing with Hero X, then read the following..." It is fun to try to connect the story of one mission to the others when you've been playing as a group for a while and so remembering old connections like certain hero-villain relationships and such can really add this sort of depth.

I can see your point regarding no bonuses for "survived" heroes and using them in a new campaign. I was just wondering what you do with side missions? 

If you played DIala her side mission and obtained her lightsaber, do you simple ignore her lightsaber in the next campaign and just play this never happened? I can't see the benefit then of playing a side mission twice in the string of campaigns...

6 hours ago, sdh007 said:

I can see your point regarding no bonuses for "survived" heroes and using them in a new campaign. I was just wondering what you do with side missions? 

If you played DIala her side mission and obtained her lightsaber, do you simple ignore her lightsaber in the next campaign and just play this never happened? I can't see the benefit then of playing a side mission twice in the string of campaigns...

You could let Diala keep her lightsaber and give the Imperial player the 2 influence they would have received had they won that side mission. I've also heard that her saber should be a 3xp purchase just like Davith's "Shrouded Lightsaber". Of course, if the Imperial player won any side missions and has rewards from those, then they could bring their reward(s) too.